ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Class Connection Training Video #1

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 02/05/14 05:56 PM Views: 2801 Replies: 24
Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I will be creating several screencap videos over the coming days to bring everyone up to speed on the new Class Connection Facebook app and how to use it. Use of the Facebook app is optional. Each Class Administrator can choose whether or not to turn on the app.

When the videos have concluded we will officially launch the app and all may begin using it (you can not use the app until we have officially launched).

Today's introductory video is called: How to Join Class Connection. Watch the video here: http://youtu.be/_9QzRacsE_8

There's roughly 10 more videos on the way and then we will launch. Again, please don't try to perform any of the steps in these videos until the app is officially launched -- you will not be able to do so. When we go live I will release a system wide email containing a link to all training videos so everyone has them all in one convenient spot.

There will be many questions so I ask your cooperation in keeping questions limited to the topic of each video thread. This thread is about how to join the Class Connection application. If you have questions pertaining to joining the app please ask them here. If you have questions outside of this topic please wait for the next 9 videos -- most questions will be answered by the time the training video series concludes.

We know there are numerous people waiting for this, and we are very pleased to be able to offer this new product. Class Connection will be a whole new world for many.

Edited 02/07/14 2:53 PM
Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM - Response #1

Will this work for multi class sites?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM - Response #2

An excellent question. We are starting with single year classes. Your classmates can still join the app under their specific year. In Phase II we will incorporate multi year sites. When we do that you'll need to manage your site, including the app, from the Class Creator side. Although ultimately you'll have all multi year management tools inside the Class Connection app is well. If you are a multi year site and plan to participate in Class Connection I recommend announcing it to your classmates when Phase II is complete, which shouldn't be too long. Ballpark 10 weeks to complete Phase II.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM - Response #4

I tried to go to apps.facebook.com/classconnection it says page not found. Are we able to join this yet? Do you have a standard email to send out that will help classmates add the app?

Lisa

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM - Response #5

The app is currently in a mode called "sandboxed". It means only our 30 beta testers can find and use it.

When we unsandbox all can use it. We'll definitely send an email you can copy and paste to your classmates, and a video walkthrough for classmates you can send as well.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM - Response #6

had the same question Douglas about the Multi year site.

When I got the email yesterday and looked at the video, I was trying to figure how I would get my multi class site to work with the app. I will not announce it to my class until I can involve them.

Lisa, read what Brad wrote above and also take a look at the Video. He explain when the app will be ready.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM - Response #7

Also, all Admins who want to utilize the app will need to allow the app from the Preferences page (which you can do when we unsandbox). If you don't choose to use the app, and your classmate joins Class Connection, none of your site data will be shared whatsoever. The Classmate just sees this message:

"The Class of has an official web site at ."

If you are sharing data withe the app, all security settings are honored. For instance any pages an Admin has marked "restricted to classmates only" can only be viewed by classmates from your own class. Likewise, any profiles marked restricted to fellow classmates only are only viewable by classmates from your own school and year. Stay tuned for tomorrow's video that answers additional security questions.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM - Response #8

When ready we'll cut a separate video just for multi year classes. When this phase is complete your classmates will still join the app precisely like the video above demonstrates. The only difference is when they do, all of your content from your multi year site will appear. I.E. your multi year site content will appear for all class years encompassed in your multi year site. Much more on this upcoming.

Clair Leesang wrote:

had the same question Douglas about the Multi year site.

When I got the email yesterday and looked at the video, I was trying to figure how I would get my multi class site to work with the app. I will not announce it to my class until I can involve them.

Lisa, read what Brad wrote above and also take a look at the Video. He explain when the app will be ready.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM - Response #9

THanks. Looking forward to it.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM - Response #10

Hi Brad,
Nice job on the Class Connection! I have to admit that I jumped ahead on your you tube videos and read 4 of your training videos. Excellent!
As you know our roxalumni site is a multi-year so looks like it will be a while before we can jump in. Since you estimate the multi-class phase II is a 10 week development project and you haven't completed phase I yet, are we looking at mid to late summer 2014 for the phase II completion?
Best Wishes,
Max

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM - Response #11

Heh. I knew at least some of the people would jump ahead. Smile That's perfectly ok.

Sure, mid summer is a good estimate for having everything functioning as desired for multi year sites. We'll try to make that happen earlier if possible.

Friday, February 7, 2014 at 4:27 AM - Response #12

Thank you Brad for answering my question.

So as you previously stated, when a classmate joins the Class Connection Facebook app, they only see the link to the Class's Creator based website. Great. But must all class years be listed (with a link to them) on the Class Connection app Facebook page for a particular school that have a Class Creator account related website? Is this the minimum required level of participation whether we chose to participate or not on Facebook?

Edited 02/07/14 4:48 AM
Friday, February 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM - Response #13

Hi Brad,
I can see that Class Connection would be useful to many of my classmates who use Facebook regularly. However, I have so far successfully avoided joining Facebook... just too many privacy issues that I don't need to deal with. So my question is: Must the class administrator be a member of Facebook in order to allow other classmates to use Class Creator?
Best regards,
Bryan

Friday, February 7, 2014 at 3:54 PM - Response #14

The admin need not be a member of Facebook to turn on the app. The app will allow for your members who are members of Facebook to integrate your Class Creator experience into their daily Facebook experience. This means that they can choose to receive Notify Me notices directly to their Facebook notification center and be alerted to updates much more readily than having to check their email for such notices.

Friday, February 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM - Response #15

A very good question Gary, thanks.

It's not so much that there's a requirement to have all class years be listed. First and foremost, Facebook is of course a public social network, and Class Connection is a public app running on Facebook. Thus any Facebook member can install the app. I.E. they can select their school and class year and go into the app regardless of anything on Class Creator, including whether a class even exists here or not.

The question is what happens next. If an admin hasn't shared site data with Facebook, then the classmate is still there in the app on Facebook, but nothing here appears there -- just the link to the private site as I mentioned. Thus there's not really a minimum required level of participation. It's really black and white. You participate or you don't. If you participate then your site data is shared with the Class Connection app, and if you don't participate then 100% of your site data is not shared.

Gary Hodge wrote:

Thank you Brad for answering my question.

So as you previously stated, when a classmate joins the Class Connection Facebook app, they only see the link to the Class's Creator based website. Great. But must all class years be listed (with a link to them) on the Class Connection app Facebook page for a particular school that have a Class Creator account related website? Is this the minimum required level of participation whether we chose to participate or not on Facebook?

Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM - Response #17

Note there is no list of participating Class Creator classes shown on the app. When somebody joins the app, our entire database of schools (which includes many thousands of schools whether or not there's a corresponding Class Creator site) is available form which to select, as well as all Class Years from 1905 through the present. If there is no Class Creator site at all for a given school, and a classmate tries to join that school under their own class year, they can do that (it's part of our new adminless system, where classmates can network without an admin until such time someone takes on admin responsibilities).

Class Creator and Class Connection are really two distinct and separate systems. They only function together if you, the Admin, make that the case by voluntarily sharing your site data with the app. If you don't choose to do that, as far as the app is concerned there is no site data at all, and the systems remain non connected. Again though, should you choose not to share data with the app, we do show a link back to your private web site so any classmates trying to find you through Class Connection won't miss out on finding your private web site.

Edited 02/08/14 11:13 AM
Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM - Response #18

In your training video, you allow a classmate to select their own photo as their yearbook photo. Can this be locked out, so that the administrator can load the actual yearbook photo, and not allow the classmate to change it?

Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM - Response #19

Already works this way. Classmate can only upload a yearbook photo if there isn't one. If admin uploads a yearbook photo, or replaces the yearbook photo a classmate previously uploaded, classmate is now stuck with it.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM - Response #20

Thanks Brad, I thought it had to be this way, but I was a little confused by the training video.

Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM - Response #21

I cannot do this until it is un-sanboxed Sad but I did notice that if I typed ClassConnection (no space) in the FB search bar, another site comes up called Class Connection. There is not much there but I don't know how or if this will affect CC's.

Side question: Will each member of the class need to join Class Connection if they wish to see CC things there?

Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM - Response #22

Once we're live people will want to click on the app and not Mrs. Williams class. Smile Once people have joined it's unlikely they'll get to the app the second time by using graph search (it will be part of their apps now).

Yes, anyone who wants to use Class Connection needs to install the app. Things to see of course are the same as on your private class web site. To see them via Facebook though, yes, they need to install the app.

Monday, February 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM - Response #23

I didn't see in this thread when the go-live would be. Is there a date you're trying to hit for phase I?

Edited 02/10/14 8:28 AM
Monday, February 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM - Response #24

The actual date has not yet been publicized. We are in the final set up of the servers as well as final beta testing. I believe Brad will provide more details very soon.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.