ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Checking the informaition on our sites

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/21/13 10:42 PM Views: 1323 Replies: 19
Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Fellow Admins:

There are many great sites featured on CC's new web site. I learned something while visiting many of them... we need to review the information we have posted on our sites.

Found on a "How to Use this Site" page was this:
"...your address and phone number can't be seen by the classmates unless you grant permission on your profile."

CC removed the option to allow other members on a site to view this information when it was hidden.
Click here to read the thread.

I worked on my single year site today with plans to check the other two soon. When time allows, check your sites, friends. There are two things sites need to be sure to remove:

1) How to Use this Site and other "how to" pages: Be sure the information you provide is current.

2) We recently learned that Playlist.com has changed to a radio station format and our embedded players are history. If you have a playlist.com player on your sites today, you may wish to remove it. Suggested players in another thread are: grooveshark.com and hypster.com.

Should anyone have another item to add to this list, please add it below. Thanks!

EDIT ADD: When writing a post in these forums, it is best to be sure your mouse is over the PREVIEW button and not the Save button. An accidental "Save" sends the unfinished post. Yes, I see the thread title has a spelling error. Oops!

Edited 07/21/13 11:02 PM
Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM - Response #1

This might be a good chat discussion topic on TAP sometime too.

Edited 07/22/13 12:35 AM
Monday, July 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM - Response #2

Thanks, Gwen! I've now made these corrections on our site. Very Happy

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM - Response #3

Gary Hodge wrote:

This might be a good chat discussion topic on TAP sometime too.

Thanks, Gary. Though it will be a short topic, good idea!

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM - Response #4

If one post helps one person, it is all good! Thanks, Rhonda. Smile

Rhonda McClellan wrote:

Thanks, Gwen! I've now made these corrections on our site. Very Happy

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 6:16 AM - Response #5

Thanks for the prompt, Gwen.

There were a couple of things that had passed me by and I needed to update (he said sheepishly).

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM - Response #6

Gwen, I recently had an exchange with grooveshark.com. Seems they had some problems in 2011 & 2012. There is now a "new" grooveshark.com that the c/s person tells me does not support Class Creator. However, I was able to obtain the source code & add it to my home page succesfully, although not as easily as the "old" grooveshark. One problem is the inability to change the defauilt B&W to a color. There's more to this & too long for this reply. Will do it during a chat on site info when you do next one.
John

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM - Response #7

jonboy, Grooveshark looks the same the me regards embed code and options. Color, size choices and all that look the same to me anyway.QuestionQuestion

(btw anyone else having CC down issues today?)

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM - Response #8

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

(btw anyone else having CC down issues today?)

I am. Noted one around 9:30am PDT today. There was at least one other time but didn't note when it was.

Edited 07/22/13 6:08 PM
Monday, July 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM - Response #9

Ironically just after my posting my response above I was unable to access the site from 3:09pm PDT to 3:29pm PDT. I've had this problem off and on for several weeks but it is much more pronounced today.

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM - Response #10

I thought we were down but I have a major problem in Firefox on my desktop since I turned it on this morning. Guess it wasn't all my pc today.

Edited 07/22/13 8:37 PM
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM - Response #11

Jack, It does look the same BUT...I can change the height & width but not the colors. The shadowed boxes have defaults which I cannot change. Jessica (@ grooveshark c/s) told me if I create a new playlist with only 1 song (to begin) I would then be able to change colors. Then she said I could go back in & add more songs. Didn't work for me. As with all things, sometimes you don't get good info or help from c/s reps.

BTW- If you Google grooveshark.com you can read the 2011 & 2012 problems they've had. The website references "Old Grooveshark" & that it doesn't exist any longer.

I'll try again @ some point, hopefully with better luck.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM - Response #12

Odd - Grooveshark embed has full options available for me. Size and color choices are all there, including a preview. Almost appears as if we are talking about 2 different things.

Could be that my playlist is older? Anyone else have issues with changing colors? I suppose I could start over and see what happens.

To verify, one goes to Share tab and then clicks embed tab where the size and color choices appear.

From reading the history, looks like grooveshark is safe since the pre-1972 songs are OK by the "safe harbor" provision of DMC LINK

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM - Response #13

Jack- Yes, the options are there.
When you go to the Share tab & then click embed the size & color choices to appear. I change the box for Size (H & W) OK...but the boxes for colors are all pre-filled with # codes. I cannot change any of those codes. Preview then shows a B&W image.
What am I missing here? Have you tried to change colors in those boxes? Is there a color chart I'm not seeing?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM - Response #14

Jack- PS-
Yes, Grooveshark is safe. However, evidently they have made some changes as they admit the OLD Grooveshark is no longer available. That wouldn't be a concern for someone new to Grooveshark.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM - Response #15

To change the colors, click the little square to the right of the color "codes" that are there. It brings up a color popup where you select the color area and then you can refine the choice.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM - Response #16

Not sure why but there are no little squares next to the codes. There used to be when, I guess, I was on the "OLD" Grooveshark as a member. That's how I set up my 1st jukebox on my Home Page. No problems.
I have 2 playlists. One has 58 songs, the other "0".
No matter which playlist I choose I cannot get the small boxes to appear. Can't do a screenshot but it would serve no purpose. All you'd see is exactly what I'm describing. I must be missing a step here.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM - Response #17

First guess, you are using IE8 and somehow that doesn't support the new page formatting. The page formatting is the only change I know about (aside from licensing issues).

Try FireFox and see what happens.

Also please post the link to your playlist and I'll see what it does for me. Grooveshark let's others embed playlists from others.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM - Response #18

Jack- I tried Firefox but had no luck. They suggested I need to download Adobe Flash 11. No Luck. I tried to downgrade to 10.3 & no luck.
In any event...here's the link to Grooveshark:

http://grooveshark.com/playlist/John+Ludovico+s+Playlist+1/75957869

Please don't spend too much time on this. I can always go with a B&W jukebox.
Thanks.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM - Response #19

Not a problem checking it out.

The playlist link works with all the color options.

Only thing I can think of is something on your system if it didn't work with FireFox 22. Perhaps some general "blocker" that somehow disables the color choice box.

Nothing on the site is Flash although the player is atm.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.