ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Discussion Forums as separate menu item

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/12/16 02:52 PM Views: 1407 Replies: 17
Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 2:52 PM

I plan to start a discussion topic on Medicare and Social Security as our class mates are turning 65 this year. Due to the importance I would like this topic to appear as a separate item on our menu but I also want it to be a blog/discussion board for all to comment on. Is this possible?

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 4:21 PM - Response #1

I suggest adding new forums or topics to your Classmate Chatter page.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM - Response #2

This is a great idea and I should do this too as I work with Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program. OSHIIP. I might suggest and feel free to correct me, can we make a page with a link back to Classmates Chatter? That way they see it immediately. Maybe even a big announcement on the home page linked to CC.

Denise

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM - Response #3

Denise:

You get my point exactly. I want to highlight it more than just a topic in User forums.

Hope others have some creative ideas.

I'll let you know the specific info I start including and would love your thoughts also Denise

Thanks
Pete

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM - Response #4

Thanks Scott. I was really hoping for a way to highlight this topic more than just as another user forum. Perhaps others will have some creative solutions

Thanks
Pete

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 5:18 PM - Response #5

You are most welcome. Right now I'm setting up our 45th, so this topic can wait until the reunion is over, but I am glad you mentioned it!

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 5:21 PM - Response #6

You can highlight and present more information via a new page. However, this does not give members an opportunity to interact and discuss. That is why the forum/topics work well for this instance.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 6:03 PM - Response #8

Let's see if this summarizes what you want:

1. Make a menu item on the left side
2. Menu item links directly to a discussion where people can post things.

You can do this -indirectly- by

1. Create a New page (Edit Site pages) with the link name desired.
2. The contents of that page transfers control directly to a topic in a forum.

The only caution is that you need to do this in CC editor HTML mode and must always stay that way otherwise the editor (last time I checked) will actually transfer to the discussion vs allowing editing. Strange but true. Once done you would not ever change it though. In case of an 'accident' you could just delete this 'link' page and start over Wink

For all practical purposes, it will be a direct link to a "discussion board" even though it's a topic inside your forum area. IOW, classmate does not have to pick the topic out of others.

If this would work, I can post the content of the page required.

Pete Grady wrote:

... I would like this topic to appear as a separate item on our menu but I also want it to be a blog/discussion board for all to comment on. Is this possible?

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 10:53 AM - Response #9

Scott:
Can I create more than one user forum? If yes, this would allow me to create a menu item entitled "Class Mate Forums" then create sub menus for the two or more forums which would allow me to highlight the really important topics with their own forum and sub menu item

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 3:05 PM - Response #10

Please take a look at the help video ( http://www.classcreator.com/videos.cfm ) for How To Set Up the User Forums.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 4:08 PM - Response #11

If I read Pete correctly (and if I didn't miss something about forums so far described)

Quote:

I was really hoping for a way to highlight this topic more than just as another user forum

adding another "topic" doesn't do what he wants to do. IOW, he knows about adding more 'forum' areas which end up as more topics inside existing forum. He wants a more a direct way to get a link to go directly to the topic vs a user having to navigate the forum topics.

IOW to answer his question, no he cannot make a totally distinct forum area via a direct link. Sort of a semantic problem here since different 'topics' are still inside the same 'forum'. IOW, CC terminology is not quite accurate.

What I described is the closest he can get to doing that. Idea It will go directly to the Topic inside a forum (instead of the user having to find the topic).

Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM - Response #13

Jack,

I'm interested in how to do what you suggested. Can you post the necessary code?

Thanks.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM - Response #14

OK. Very Happy

All done in Editor HTML mode (not source). Icon Third row, third icon from the right.

1. Create the topic desired in the "Forum".
2. Open the topic and copy the link shown in the browser URL area (save in Notepad for scratch since it is used later or rearrange sequence and do this last).
3. Create a New Page via "Add Page" - give link a Name
4. Open Editor for that page.
5. Paste in the following code modified with the link you saved in Step 2 (shows as link-to-YOUR-forum-topic/etc in example - tid, etc will all be yours)
6. Save/Continue
7. Click Preview to verify no typos

The

It's possible to have a browser setting that prevents the transfer, but highly unlikely.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 2:52 PM - Response #15

Thanks Jack! In your original reply on this question, you said that, once created, the page containing the code can't be edited; I'm curious as to what would happen if I did attempt to edit it.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 3:11 PM - Response #16

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. You can edit it, so long as you stay in HTML mode. Once you flip to visual mode, Editor won't let you "back in" as in the Editor will transfer you to the Forum page vs an edit screen.

Not too big a deal now but it was in the past when adding/deleting pages was very limited. There were a fixed number and order. Even now it would confuse you when you clicked edit and instead went to the forum Twisted Evil

That's what I meant, just remember stay in HTML mode and you can edit forever.

Monday, January 18, 2016 at 9:58 AM - Response #17

Got it. Thanks.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.