ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

funeral flowers

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/30/09 02:34 PM Views: 1377 Replies: 4
Friday, January 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Does anyone have in place a plan for sending flowers to classmates that have passed away? And if so how do you handle paying for them or contributions made in their honor?Question

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 12:56 AM - Response #1

That's a good question. I wondered how I would handle notification of a classmate passing away after verifying it to be fact. I wouldn't think to send flowers. I think depending on the area/family that it might creep out some families to receive flowers from a reunion committee.

I would post a notification on the website and send out a mass email directing to the info on the website. I would not send flowers out of my own pocket unless the person who died was in my friendship circle.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 7:45 AM - Response #2

You are still a young class. But ours, unfortunately, are passing the older we get. We average 1-2 a year now. So now that the site has brought them all together again after 35 years they are excited. We have only been up and running since September and this is the first classmate to pass since then. They voted to send flowers (one classmate paid for them) and putting that they were from the class. But it opened up a can of worms that what to do for the future. Start a committee? Take donations? Charge classmates for a fund? Then there is the problem with holding audits if we have a fund. So I was curious what other classes do. Apparently they don't do..

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 8:03 AM - Response #3

It is hard enough getting them to register and pay for the reunion dinner...

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 2:24 PM - Response #4

You make a good point, Ann, that as we age, it will happen more often. We are a class of 400 and 25 years out, we've only had 4 classmates pass away - that we know of. We do have one in a mental institution. That was a tough call when I called for the classmate and her father asked if I was sitting down. I was so embarrassed, but how would I have known?

Anyway, it's definitely a nice gesture to send flowers, but we won't be implementing any system for it except for posting it on the website. Just like Debbie said, it's hard enough to get people to pay for their reunion ticket!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.