ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

After the Reunion

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/04/11 05:46 PM Views: 1453 Replies: 6
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM

We had a great (50th) reunion and many attributed the high turn-out (and positive ambiance) to several different aspects of this web site (e.g., timely information, who's coming, early re-connection with long-lost classmates, last-minute updates, etc.).

We've posted scads of photos, videos, links to newspaper articles, copies of handouts and similar on the site.

We've also posted a survey that netted 51 responses (our whole class is 202) and provided a lot of useful information which I summarized (available to other Admins, if interested) and will be a topic at our post-reunion committee meeting later this evening.

Where do we go from here?

Classmates indicated that they loved the site and were very happy that we're continuing it. But, as our next reunion could be as much as 5 years away (we're considering mini get-togethers in the interim as well) we've become our own "hard act to follow".

I'm considering creating a survey to ask classmates what they'd like to see posted on the site to keep interest up. Anyone else done that and willing to share both survey and response?

Do others of you have ideas on what to do now that the "party" is over?

Appreciate any ideas you might offer.

Jim

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM - Response #1

Jim congrats on the success you had at your re-union. As you know, we had ours last year and the response we got from a mail in survey was to do a mini one every two years for those that were interested. So far we have 81 responses in favor of a scaled down one night with dinner and music and a breakfast the next morning. I think based on the responses, that it will serve mostly those within a 100/200 mile radius.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM - Response #2

Great news, Jim! Congrats!

I like Johnny's mention of every two years. Not sure many will travel for one night but it never hurts to throw in some extra freebies. (no cost gatherings)

I promote mini-gatherings... two classmates or more. I ask for photos to post on the site with a story. I have yet to receive a story but have a photo or two to post. (Thanks for the reminder.)

Depending upon how many frequent the site, you could have live chats. Oh there I go... giving away a topic for our Admin site chats! Wink

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM - Response #3

We have mini reunions. If a classmate from out of state comes to town, we will put the word out and meet at a restaurant or have a picnic. Out of towners love the attention and the in towners get to meet people in smaller groups and reconnect with the locals they see at each mini. We have about 6 of these thru the year. We also use this time to make money for the next big reunion. We have a 50/50 raffle. We have had classmates from 50 miles away to countries away. I take pictures and post them in the gallery. Those that can't attend love seeing the pictures. I have watched the site attendance and the most visited day is the dy after the pictures are posted. I send out one mass email letting them know about the mini. Post it on the home page and send out a mass email letting them know the pictures have been posted.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM - Response #4

Gwen, one of the things we did do for the upcoming mini re-union was keep everything at the lowest possible price. The whole weekend (2 days) including hotel for 2 will probably run $150 to $200.00. The Holiday Inn folks are great to work with for special senior rates and the caterer gave us some different options on food. We'll provide the band and probably have a cash bar. We had a Chinese auction at the 50th reunion with some really nice prizes and raised a little money that we'll use for the mini event. We have been blessed to get in donations from some of our folks and between the two that will also help deter costs somewhat. There is also a countdown clock on the home page just to keep folks interested and knowing we are planning this event.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM - Response #5

We have had a few gatherings since our 40th in 2010. Though fewer in numbers than a full blown reunion, all participants had a great time.
I organized two get together’s with our band director and several of the ‘girls’ rented a beach house for a weekend last year, and this year, they increased their numbers to 26.
A birthday party is planned for April I believe. A few local musicians have agreed to provide live music.
Posting pictures of such events is always a plus, as it helps keep interest up.
Let your imagination run wild!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM - Response #6

We just posted that we will be having a get together at a local restaurant during the week. We plan on meeting around 5ish which beats the dinner rush. We did this the night of the classmates party and had a small group show up. Since then we have had a lot in inquiry as to when we will do that again. So far we have around 18 - 20 people that are coming. Found if you go during the week and early restaurants can accomodate you. Hope this helps.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.