ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Photo gallery picture size

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/19/11 09:19 PM Views: 1148 Replies: 2
Saturday, March 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I have created several photo galleries. When I double click on a photo it displays and starts a slide show. The photos only take up about 1/4th of the screen and the comments/captions are hard to read.

Is there a way to make the photos and comments/captions larger?

Thanks, Bob

Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 3:53 AM - Response #1

You have many galleries. Can you give me on in particular to look at? In advance of me looking at a specific example there's 2 important things to know here:

1) Always upload the largest version of a photo you have available. If over 1,000 pixels wide the system will just knock it down to precisely 1,000 pixels anyway. I noticed some of your photos are significantly shorter than 1,000 pixels, which means that's the size they had to have been uploaded at. If you have larger versions available you should reupload.

2) One interesting scenario I noted in another one of your galleries is you have long vertical scans. Obviously there's more width on a screen than there is height, so in this case you're actually limited by height. Then add to it that any captions go under the vertical scan, lessening the room available even further. If you have a very high screen resolution this isn't so bad, because the high res allows more vertical room to be available. The problem can sometimes be your own resolution setting though. If you're using a relatively small resolution, such as 1024 x 768, there's just not many pixels available to display your vertical photos, thus they appear rather small. While there might be lots of room to the left and right of those photos, note how much vertical space is available above and below these photos. Not very much. In slideshow mode photos can only appear on the screen as large as screen resolution allows. If you want to see a real time example of what I mean, while looking at one of these cramped photos press your F11 key. You'll notice the photo instantly expands in size. It did that because any standard browser buttons were hidden along with any extra toolbars you might have added to your browser, allowing more pixels to be available for photos to display, thus the photo got bigger. Press F11 again to return to your normal view.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 8:59 AM - Response #2

Thanks for the quick response Brad. I was not aware of the PF11 key hiding the browser buttons. That helps a lot.

I remember reading something about uploading larger photos, but had forgotten it. I re-sized several photos to 640 x 480 or smaller. I'll go back and reload larger photos.

Glad I set up the test web site before I loaded a lot of photos.

Yesterday morning I gave our reunion planning committee a preview of our web site. All were blown away, but wanted the photos to be larger, as I explained originally. I think your suggestions will fix their concerns.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bob

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.