ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Show "Classmates awaiting Authentication" link here...

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 12/11/08 05:03 PM Views: 1279 Replies: 5
Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM

When I log in to my site, I see immediately if I have any messages waiting. The message appears under my login name. I think the same type of message needs to appear on the Admin's homepage if there are any "Classmates awaiting Authentication" that need to be verified.

It would be easier to see than going to the Preferences screen. It could appear in both places.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 7:09 PM - Response #1

The only problem I have with that is we're about to put bounced email notifications in that exact spot. We can't just return them to your regular email address. I'll explain why when we launch the bounched email return feature, which I expect to be tomorrow.

We may also consider putting this in that space. I'll have to see how cluttered it looks.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

The only problem I have with that is we're about to put bounced email notifications in that exact spot. We can't just return them to your regular email address. I'll explain why when we launch the bounched email return feature, which I expect to be tomorrow.

We may also consider putting this in that space. I'll have to see how cluttered it looks.

Another idea: When the admin clicks on the new classmate in the "Profile Updates" section, he currently sees "Classmate awaiting authentication by admin". If the user IS the admin, there should be a link to the classmate's page so it can be validated without going to the Manage Classmates/Edit Classmate/Edit Profile pages. Then after reviewing the profile information, the admin can approve the classmate.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

..... We can't just return them to your regular email address. I'll explain why when we launch the bounched email return feature, which I expect to be tomorrow.

Not sure if you ever explained why they can't be returned to your regular e-mail address. Probably has to do with privacy of the e-mail contents should not be viewable by the admin.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM - Response #4

Thanks, you're right I never did.

It's because those emails were never sent FROM your email address in the first place. All email goes out from postmaster. Many people don't even have email boxes with smtp abilities at all, such as Hotmail or Gmail. Thus because all emails sends out from our system, bounces are also returned to our system. Which means instead of a true email bounce coming to you, instead we have to do a parse. Which we do now. We could take the parse and then try to forward it to your real email address, but this would cause two undesirable consequences:

1) Some bounces would be rejected by people's email and marked as spam. Especially since that email box never sent the message in the first place. Which means less bounces get seen by the Administrator. By keeping the bounces within the system you're going to see all of them and never lose something to the whims of email.

2) By keeping the emails in the system we can give you some default things you can do, such as issue an auto response, or quickly jump to the Classmate's record to fix a problem. That's far handier than seeing the bounce outside of the system.

Edited 12/16/08 6:19 PM
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM - Response #5

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Another idea: When the admin clicks on the new classmate in the "Profile Updates" section, he currently sees "Classmate awaiting authentication by admin". If the user IS the admin, there should be a link to the classmate's page so it can be validated without going to the Manage Classmates/Edit Classmate/Edit Profile pages. Then after reviewing the profile information, the admin can approve the classmate.

Excellent! Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.