ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Tables & Images

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/22/10 10:35 AM Views: 1677 Replies: 10
Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Hi Kyle,

I'm getting the hang of things, but would like to use a few tables (boxes) in colors with text inserted into them. Can make the boxes but cannot insert text. Using a Mac and Safari. Could you send instructions or refer me to a source?

Also I tried to copy the "Remember When" page from Doug Platt's site but the paste included more than the page. Any advice?

Don't need an immediate response. Many thanks,

Donna

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM - Response #1

Donna,

To insert text, just click in the box and start typing.

You could private message Doug and ask him for the source. I believe he has offered it for the asking.

Kyle

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM - Response #2

Kyle,

I clicked in the text box with no response so I thought I wasn't creating the right box. Do you have instructions I could use to reconstruct?

No response from Doug as yet, but another admin said she copied and pasted which didn't work for me.

Donna

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM - Response #3

Donna,

Which page are you talking about?

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM - Response #4

Doug emailed me the code privately. It worked beautifully. I am sure if you email personally he will give your the code for the page. It's getting rave reviews on my site!

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM - Response #5

Kyle,

Which page?

I want to use a table on our home page to set off some announcements. Probably white with red and black edges. Don't have the box up on the page because I couldn't get the text in it when I tried the first time. Also couldn't get any color in it.

Are there instructions? Would be happy to try again.

Doug Platt's page was referenced in the Forum, Building Blocks, as "Remember When".

Thanks again,

Donna

Edited 04/22/10 12:34 PM
Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 12:35 PM - Response #6

Donna,

I want to see examples of the tables you created. I want to be able to click in those tables when I edit your home page to see if it can be done.

I don't use a MAC. Maybe it is a problem with the MAC.

Kyle

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 6:00 PM - Response #7

Kyle,

I made a 1 row, 1 cell table on the home page, but did not leave it up. Tried again and I can write text into the box and I assume enter graphics. Do you expand the box, then write the graphics? How do you make the box a specific size?

How do you add color and make borders? Please refer me to some instructions.

Again, no rush.

Thanks,

Donna

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM - Response #8

It sounds like you don't have a problem inserting things in the table.

Here is a forum to talk about borders in tables.

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=EE97BE73-0256-EE3B-9C970E0D3ECEB01A#EE97BE73-0256-EE3B-9C970E0D3ECEB01A

Here is an HTML tutorial for table borders:
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/tables/index_famsupp_149.html

Another Forum discussion:
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=33B674A9-D897-9B2D-02BEBC7D5A6893DB#33B674A9-D897-9B2D-02BEBC7D5A6893DB

You can create a table, then drag/drop the graphic inside of it. Most of the width adjustments for tables need to be done in the HTML code unless you are wanting to set a width for the whole table.

Edited 04/22/10 6:17 PM
Friday, April 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM - Response #9

Donna,

I know I'm a little late chiming in, but Safari is very likely your problem. I too have an iMac and use Safari. It has been a thorn in my side more times than you can imagine. If you download Firefox, you will find a lot (not all) of your problems will go away. Firefox for Mac has some rendering problems at times, but it is far superior to Safari.

One program that I've found to be virtually bug free and really works like a charm is Opera. It may seem to be a bit awkward at first, but the way it handles e-mail is simply put--FANTASTIC.

Hope this helps and if you need any outside help, let me know and I'd be glad to assist.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM - Response #10

John,

Thanks for "chiming in". It all helps. My ineptitude is the problem, not Safari or Firefox. I can write in the table box and will try again to construct, write, color and fancy up our pages using the references Kyle provided here.

I switched from Firefox to Safari because Firefox was reading the code width for images & embeds differently causing blowouts. With the same config in Safari, no problems. Firefox was a bit faster loading however.

It would be nice to stay in touch and compare notes as not many admins are using Macs (their loss!) Have you found that "how to" CC instructions (PC) don't always apply in the same way as Mac?

Donna

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.