ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

adding a document to a webpage

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/15/08 02:33 AM Views: 1609 Replies: 10
Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 2:33 AM

Does anyone know how to go about adding a scanned document (not a jpeg) or a created document onto a webpage. For instance if I create something on Microsoft word, how can I get that creation to transfer to my webpage.
-Or if i scan an obituary that was cut out of the newspaper, how can I get that to show up on the in memory section without uploading it as a picture. If you upload it as a picture it is super small and unreadable.
Thoughts?...

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 3:43 AM - Response #1

1) All classes with a domain name will soon have their own personal File Library feature, where you can transfer documents (such as Word file) to the server and then link to them so your Classmates can download them.

2) On "the list" is modifications to the In Memory area that will allow you to add additional photos to the page, as well as music if desired. Stay tuned.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 6:36 PM - Response #2

I love this site more every day Smile)

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM - Response #3

you said if our class had a domain site. What if we opted not to get our own domain name?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM - Response #4

File libraries will exist on the Classnames.net webserver and will be organized there by domain name. Unfortuantely some features (such as this one) will require some revenue to support them. As much as we'd like to, we can not offer free file/hosting web space for thousands of schools. The good news is if you wish to use this feature when it comes out, domain names are $19 a year or less, and it will be easier for your Classmates to remember how to get to your site to boot.

Note: If you don't wish to use a domain name with your site, there are several free file hosting services out there, such as Rapidshare.com. You can easily put files there and link to them from your site. Many free file hosts are ad driven, and ads are something we've chosen to strictly avoid at Class Creator. If you don't mind the ads and some of their viral marketing initiatives, free file hosts are a perfectly suitable solution for making files available to your classmates for free.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 12:13 PM - Response #5

Carrie Miller wrote:

If i scan an obituary that was cut out of the newspaper, how can I get that to show up on the in memory section without uploading it as a picture. If you upload it as a picture it is super small and unreadable.
Thoughts?...

I managed to do my first one from a newspaper obituary. I scanned the obit and it was saved in my Microsoft Clip Organizer. Then I opened the program: Microsoft Office/Microsoft Office Tools/Microsoft Office Document Imaging. From there I opened the scanned obit file from Microsoft Clip Organizer (in My Pictures). Under Tools, I selected: Recognize text using OCR. Then I chose Tools/Send Text to Word.

In Word I could correct mistakes and format it. It worked with the tools I have. (I typed OCR in the help box in Word and just followed the instructions.) There are programs that make this simpler but I don't want to buy them. Hopefully you can see my results here: http://www.marshalltownhighschool58.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=194.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM - Response #6

The ability to add additional images to the In Memory section -- such as an obit scan -- is coming shortly.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM - Response #7

I have added text from online obituaries or from Word documents by simple cut and paste into the box on the individual's In Memory page.
Look at Joe Kruzel and Steve Singer on my In Memory page.
For a really tragic story, look up Bob Ploger.
I have also superimposed their yearbook photos with a recent one and uploaded that.
If we had the "Source" option on this page you could do a lot more.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM - Response #8

The editor component is coming to this page, which of course has the source option. It will also allow you to add multiple photos anywhere you want within an In Memory entry.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 5:50 PM - Response #9

If you know a little HTML you can post the scanned obit into an In Memory profile with an call. Just upload the file onto another page of your site, perhaps an unused custom page, note the URL, then go back to the In Memory profile and insert

Voila.

Here's an example:
http://www.classcreator.com/Dalton-GA-1988/class_profile.cfm?member_id=349981

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 11:41 PM - Response #10

Awesome! I am so looking forward to the new library feature. I recently added Addon Online Chat to our site and need a page to post past chat transcripts to!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.