ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

BOGUS SIGNUP

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/02/11 09:08 AM Views: 1608 Replies: 18
Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM

A couple days ago someone tried to signup and change one of my classmate name. When I saw the name it puzzled me because the name was kind of strange.

"Original: Sharon Cole

New Name: recep inan

I know ppl change their names but that was a far cry from any name i know. So I sent an e mail telling her that she should use the name she had when she went to school so her batch mates can recignise her, of course the e mail bounced.

I also sent her an e mail on FB since she is a member of our group there, she replied it wasnt her.

Has this ever happen to anyone else?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM - Response #1

Unfortunately, this happens from time to time. And fortunately, you did have your New Member Verification turned on. For others reading this, the New Member Verification is located on the Preferences page and can be turned on by selecting the setting that reads:    DO NOT ALLOW new subscribing Classmates to view password protected areas of the web site, access any restricted Classmate Profiles, send or receive emails, post messages in forums, participate in Live Chat, and hide Profile information from other Classmates until the new Classmate's identity has been verified. (Note: If you select this option, a new "Verified" field will appear in the Classmate's Profile area that only you, the Site Administrator, can see. When a new Classmate joins your site and the Classmate's identify has been confirmed, toggle the "Verified" field to "yes". The default will remain "no" until you do this. Once toggled to "yes" the new Classmate will be granted access to restricted areas of your site.

If someone tries to become a member of the site through another member's name, and you have the New Member Verification turned on, they are unable to interact with other members until you verify their identity. When someone joins who you ultimately believe is not the person they say they are, you can click on the notification for verification and select the option (at the bottom of their profile page) that says: No, I do not believe this person is who they claim, and the original information will be reset for the member.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM - Response #2

So, using that Verification Preference, will the "potential" classmate member get any kind of notification explaining that they cannot access password protected areas until verified by Administrato? Or, are they essentially wondering after registering why they cannot see more? I have never turned that Preference on, as we are a small school and not necessarily likely that a bogus registration would occur, but, one never knows.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM - Response #3

To continue on the verification preference, I turn it on only when I don't know the applicant but switch off when it's someone I know to grant them access right away. So far it has worked and no complaints from those waiting to be verified.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM - Response #4

Well, for example... if they try to go to the Message Center, they see: You cannot compose a new message yet, as your account is still waiting to be verified. Please click here to contact your administrator.
And, if they try to go to a Password protected page, they see: Sorry, you cannot access this page until your account has been approved by the Site Administrator.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM - Response #5

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Well, for example... if they try to go to the Message Center, they see: You cannot compose a new message yet, as your account is still waiting to be verified. Please click here to contact your administrator.
And, if they try to go to a Password protected page, they see: Sorry, you cannot access this page until your account has been approved by the Site Administrator.

Thanks Scott. That is exactly what I was looking for. They get notified that "soon as verified"......

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM - Response #6

I didn't have new-member verification turned on until an incident last December when someone hijacked an account. They signed in as a member who had not registered yet and then changed the name to Kennedy John (!). They then started down the list of classmates sending a message to each of them that was just a simple variation of the Nairobi Prince scam. They'd only gotten to about 5 classmates before I picked up on it and shut them down.

I've subsequently turned on the new-member verification feature and include the notice to new members signing up that they'll need to be first verified before they can proceed. I put it at the very top or our home page. Haven't had any problems or complaints since.

Have no way of knowing if it's discouraged potential new classmate sign-ups but I suspect not. We know why most of the classmates who haven't signed up didn't do so and it's not because of that (often they don't have e-mail and/or don't have a computer.)

Jim

Edited 06/02/11 11:13 AM
Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM - Response #7

I have a classmate that signed up and I was a little suspicious but also happy to see this person sign up. I sent this person a email asking to verify it was that person. I have never recieved a reply and would like to end thier access to the site. Whay do you think I should do?
Thanks

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Response #8

If they are not willing to reply to your request, I would not verify them. Any legit classmate who wants to participate, would reply.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM - Response #9

How do I limmit this persons access?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM - Response #10

Manage Classmates > Enter Edit Classmates > Details next to their name > Delete the email address and save the profile. If you do not believe this is the actual person, you could always delete the classmate completely and add the name again by going to Manage Classmates > Enter Edit Classmates > Add A Member

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM - Response #11

Can co-admin do the verify? I think I want to turn this on but do not want to make people wait if I am off line.

Joan

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM - Response #12

As long as you set your co-Admin's admin permissions to do so, then yes. Check their permissions at Manage Classmates > Enter Edit Classmates > Details next to the co-Admin's name.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM - Response #13

Scott, as you said, yes I had the verification turned since the inception since I feel it's necessary. If it is left open and some idiot decides to log in as someone else and to send classmates junk mail or any kind of solicitation, that could spook them and many might want to leave the site.

I agree it is more work having to let them sign up then having to be verified but im dealing with it and no one has complained as yet. They know it is for their own security.
I check my email often for new signups so I can verify.

This is not the first time someone tried signing into the site that didn't go to our School. Another person sent me an e mail to add their name to the 72 batch last week. I was suspicious and sent the 72 batch e mails asking if they know her and they said no, no one with that name was as in their batch.
Thanks again for the feedback. Clair

Friday, June 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM - Response #14

Debbie - yes, that would work as well, if the person had been previously verified. However, if the person had become a member prior to the New Member Verification being turned on, then there might not be a verified flag present and that Un-Verify option might not show up. In that case, simply removing the member will work as well.

Friday, June 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM - Response #15

Ah, I have thought about adding the verification option and last night in chat some classmates and I thought up some questions for the verification.

Now...

Would it work to ask for a current photo or answer the questions? One or the other? Somewhere I think I read that a photo helps identify the classmate. Do you think it would be enough in most cases?

In addition, there is the matter of the welcome letter that goes out when they sign up. Do they get this before or after verification? If before, would this be a good time to mention having to wait for the verification? I will need to rewrite this letter either way.

Also, if the email is boggus, that welcome letter should come back as a bounceback. (No question there, just a statement)

M:O)

Friday, June 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM - Response #16

We have dealt with the bogus/hijack issue a couple of times.

One verification question I have used is: "What is your full name as it would have appeared on the graduation commencement program?"

I realize that a diligent person could do a little research and find that info, but so far, it has worked. When someone comes right back with that middle name, I usually believe they are who they say they are.

Friday, June 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM - Response #17

While writing for a response to my welcome letter and photo questions, I will share what we came up with...

What was the street our high school was located on? (moved to the other side of town in the 70's and there are two of them now.)

What were the mascots of the towns who were are arc rivals?

Name one of the two local hangouts for teens in our town in the 60's.

What was the name of the junior high we all attended? (Is now an elementary school with a different name)

What is the geographic name of the area our town was located in? (Does not appear on a map...have to live there to know it. We all called our area that.)

While we were in high school, the band uniforms changed colors. What were they and what did they change to?

What was the name of the street the junior high was located on?

We were having a ho-hum live chat last night, so I threw the topic to the classmates. They were a big help. They felt that we should hit them with a random four questions and then ask them to answer three.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 2:40 PM - Response #18

WOW...I went and read on the site. No, it did not hurt too much. I got the answer to the welcome letter questions.

Gosh, I feel so smart!

Have a great day!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.