ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Tracking Classmates who join Class Connection

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 03/22/14 09:06 AM Views: 1728 Replies: 7
Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Brad and team,

Thanks for the information on the new icon showing in the app field in "Manage Classmates". I can also see when people join using What's New.

However, we have a large class and it's not easy to determine who has and hasn't joined using this tool and whether they're a new member or not.

A couple thoughts:

1. Can you add the APP field to the download?
2. Can you summarize this and link in Classmate Profiles similar to the way you breakout veterans, in memory, attending reunion, etc.?

Thanks...we are getting some folks joining...hope to see success with those on FB who have not joined our website.

Best,

Dave

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM - Response #1

We'll be making some enhancements to reporting as it pertains to the app after several key things we're working on currently. FYI for now, anyone with both a Class Creator and a Class Connection is an existing member (unless in the past week they joined your web site and then immediately installed the app as well). Anyone with only a Class Connection icon is participating from Facebook only of course.

Let me make sure I'm clear on your suggestion for Class Profiles. Are you saying show the two icons on the public Profile page the same way we're showing it in the new "App" column? If so I guess my question there is does it matter? To a regular classmate viewer (or the public for that matter when a profile is marked open) is there a value in knowing somebody is participating from the site or from the app? Or is all that matters the fact that they're a member of the class and they're participating? It's all the same class data either way -- environment doesn't really matter. I can certainly see why an admin would want to know this information though. Your thoughts?

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM - Response #2

Hi Brad,

Sounds good, I know you have a lot on your plate.

Regarding your question about Class Profiles. I'm not suggesting the icons on profile pages, but on the "Classmate Profile" page on the website there is a summary block at the top that lists out several categories (see below)
Classmate Profiles

Profile updated since your last visit: 27

User has created a profile: 426

Profile contains photos: 92

Profile updated within past 6 months: 24

Attending Reunion: 30    

In Memory: 81

Contains "In Memory" entry: 68

Military Service: 67

These provide links to filter the Classmate Profile page to show only those in the category. I think a category for Class Connection members would be good to have. Even better would be Class Connection and Website, Class Connection only categories. Just a thought

Dave

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM - Response #3

Maybe Brad is asking if the block on the Classmate's Profile page is the place for this. I believe I requested this info under Statistics (Stats). Under Stats, it is visible to the admins not the public, to which I agree... the public does not need to see this as they will not understand it.

Am I on the right track, Brad & Dave? We would like the info but not viewable by the public.

Cool

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM - Response #4

I don't think that it needs to show on the Profile list. I would like it available on the download list and maybe as a filter in stats.

I did notice that when I looked at Class Connection a notice is displayed that a new member has joined on the "WHATS NEW" page when they join Class Connection even though they have been a member for years on CC.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM - Response #5

Gwen Corey wrote:

Maybe Brad is asking if the block on the Classmate's Profile page is the place for this. I believe I requested this info under Statistics (Stats). Under Stats, it is visible to the admins not the public, to which I agree... the public does not need to see this as they will not understand it.

Am I on the right track, Brad & Dave? We would like the info but not viewable by the public.

Cool

Gwen,
I thought I made it clear that my thoughts were only suggestions, not requirements. My concern is that with a large class it's difficult to determine who's on the Class Connection app. On the download is fine, and I'm open to other solutions. I always try to offer suggestions when I report a problem. I'm content to let Brad determine what gets implemented.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM - Response #6

A wording update is in the queue for this.

Tommy Morton wrote:

I don't think that it needs to show on the Profile list. I would like it available on the download list and maybe as a filter in stats.

I did notice that when I looked at Class Connection a notice is displayed that a new member has joined on the "WHATS NEW" page when they join Class Connection even though they have been a member for years on CC.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM - Response #7

Well, I think most of the time collective desires determine what gets implemented. We're just a' brainstormin' and that's always a good thing regardless of what the final decision is.

So yea, my gut feeling is we keep the environment somebody is participating from available only to admins. If nothing else it's the KISS philosophy. Unless there's some reason this is needed by classmate members we just leave it off the interface. Even if the classmate only joins from Class Connection and never uses the class site at all, they display to all members in the regular class web site just as if they had joined there directly. And vice versa. There's no difference whatsoever. I think the only thing that matters is that the classmate has found the class and has joined.

Dave Shellenbarger wrote:

Gwen Corey wrote:

Cool

Gwen,
I thought I made it clear that my thoughts were only suggestions, not requirements. My concern is that with a large class it's difficult to determine who's on the Class Connection app. On the download is fine, and I'm open to other solutions. I always try to offer suggestions when I report a problem. I'm content to let Brad determine what gets implemented.

Edited 03/22/14 5:12 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.