ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Help with site pages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/07/11 10:56 PM Views: 1483 Replies: 4
Monday, February 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Hi,
I have plenty of content on my homepage. Now I want to add to my top left hand side where student profile is first then others. When I edit site pages, the first one that comes up is the side bar information I have stored. I have deactivated a few and I thought I could delete these to make a new topic. Can't be done. I notice some site have 10 or more topics. I read the CC help forum but couldn't find the answer.
Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Monday, February 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM - Response #1

Hi Diane...

I think what you're looking to do is add more content pages to the list of links that presently appears in the "link stack" top left on your home page.

Coming soon is Class Creator 3.0 which will give you unlimited content pages and the ability to rename, sort and organize the "Link Stack" any way you want.

Until then, when you run out of the custom pages and have created the standard pages including home, in memory, Contact Us, etc., you can use either Survey Maker or Gallery Creator to make more content pages.

Just add your copy, images and third-party content to these pages without activating any survey questions (Survey Maker) or any pictures (Gallery Creator).

Monday, February 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM - Response #2

Thank you John for your prompt reply. I was beginning to think I was in grade 2 and just could not figure this out. I have a few links that I have deactivated and figured I could delete them and put a new title on. I appreciate your help.

Diane

Monday, February 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM - Response #3

Diane,

If you go to one of those sites with many left-side links, and move your mouse over those links, you will notice some of the links look like this
http://www.classcreator.com/DIRECTORY/class_custom6.cfm

and others end in
http://www.classcreator.com/DIRECTORY/member_dosurvey.cfm?SurveyID=4831

and
http://www.classcreator.com/DIRECTORY/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=37

Those that end in/ class_customX.cfm (X is a number), these are the custom pages.
Those pages that end in /member_dosurvey.cfm?SurveyID=XXXX (XXXX is a number) are surveys
Those pages that end in /class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=XXX (XXX is a number) are photo galleries.

Friday, February 11, 2011 at 6:50 PM - Response #4

Diane Michiels wrote:

I have a few links that I have deactivated and figured I could delete them and put a new title on.

Diane, Assuming I read your comment/question correctly - You can just put a new title and content on your prior "used" pageExclamation

In edit for an existing page that you want to delete:

1. Type in the new title
2. clear the content (in edit, select ALL and then press Del key) and
3. now insert/enter new content.

Not a delete as such, but it replaces the old title+content with a new title+content which is I think what your original question was about.

You can follow the same process for "new" pages created via the 2 methods listed by John.

The Gallery is a tad more flexible (vs surveys) in that you can create more subpages within a topic.

The first Gallery topic (the one that creates the menu item on the left) has no content but is "active". Then the next page has content and is also "active". Subsequent pages within that gallery are not "active" but do have content. That keeps the system from attempting to display "links" as "photos". Sometimes of course that's is how you want it to behave - this particular method is if all you want to do is add topics and subpages for that topic.

I then add links inside the gallery pages via little navigation buttons to the subpages. That way you can get many related pages linked/accessible without adding undue "clutter" to the left menu list. This lets you break up the content pages into smaller more digestible lengths.Wink

I can make a test gallery to show how this is done if there's interest or maybe there already is something that demonstrates this? The buttons are the nicest, but hardest. Plain text is much easier but not as nice. Looks OK though when placed in a little horizontal table at the top.

The only potentially bad thing is that subpages are not password protected, even if the main gallery is. Technically that's a CC bug - don't know if spiders can find those extra pages, otherwise in real life, not a big issue - assuming some things about content.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.