ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

HTML no longer allowed in forum posts?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/10/08 12:22 PM Views: 2063 Replies: 9
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Brad, I'm already getting questions from classmates about this in the message forum: "HTML is not allowed, except for the tags." Is it temporary or permanent? We have an active forum and they're all over it.

Thanks,
Leslie

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 12:46 PM - Response #1

My bad, I made this change for comments and didn't realize the same code was also used for forums.

However, allowing "unsantized" HTML in the forum posts IS a security risk, and opens your site to all kinds of potential problems.

At a minimum, people can mess up your site by posting bad html... at the worst, a malicious user could actually modify the content of things like the site navigation.

So the short answer is.. it's an inadvertant change, but will remain in place until we determine what HTML tags we want to allow people to publish.

Rick

Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM - Response #2

how about the most common used for formating..

• I may be forgetting some but that covers most of the ones I've used on almost every post. (as admin I want my post to stand out when needed such as for updated info, so when your scrolling down the page it like seeing that one tree just before your turn off on the way home.)

• Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM - Response #3

the new threaded forums feature will of course include the exact same "markup" capability that you see in these forums, and the old ones will be relegated to what is essentially a "guest book", but I'll let Brad make the decision on what sort of abilities to continue to offer in the current "forums".

Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM - Response #4

As Rick mentioned, security comes first. As we've grown we've made constant effort to ramp up security and keep the system safe for everyone. I have asked Rick to allow images, hyperlinks, and videos in the current forums. I think these three things cover 99% of what people were doing.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM - Response #5

Yes, images, hyperlinks and videos would be great! We had a classmate posting a "song of the day" video and it was really popular. I didn't realize just how popular until a couple of days ago when he couldn't post it anymore. The whiners came out! ha. Thank you for working so hard to keep everyone happy.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 12:47 AM - Response #6

QUOTE:
    You can post HTML here, but only certain HTML tags are allowed: img,a,b,i,font
    Javascript is NOT allowed.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 2:08 AM - Response #7

Hi Leslie,

We are still working on the filters for what will be allowed in the forums. Youtube vidoes will be an option again. Give us a few days next week to work this all out.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM - Response #8

Thank you Brad, Rick, and Jessica! We appreciate having our videos back.
    Very Happy

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 11:53 PM - Response #9

Videos are back, as Leslie pointed out. Now in a secure fashion. Security first. Smile

New Topic Reply  
    Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
    Subscription options are available after you log in.