ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Possible "fake" profile setup

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/04/15 02:59 PM Views: 912 Replies: 7
Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM

HI EVERYONE!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I have a question and hope you can help me out here. I have received an notification that someone joined our website. I have my settings to verify before I let them join. I knew the name so I didn't think anything of it. BUT when I went to check them out on my class listing...his name is not on it. Not on the missing, not on my master profile listing. Now, I am confused as to whether this is an intruder trying to hack in somehow but HOW? Wouldn't his name be listed in the master and wouldn't he have to see it to request in? Please clarify this all to me. Meg

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:08 PM - Response #1

I am taking a stab at answering my own question here:
Is it because he signed up (sort of) so he is not on missing anymore BUT he hasn't been verified so he will not show up on the main profiles pages?

I think if that is the case, the person should still show up on the profile pages with a notification of pending verification.

Not seeing him anywhere except on the pending verification on the home page made me suspect a hack.

Let me know if I am correct?!!

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM - Response #2

I am back...boy, I am keeping myself occupied here!! LOL...I kept looking at the profile listings and realized I wasn't looking at the classmate listings. SO....all is good now!! He was on the main list. Still need to verify it is him and he will be good to go.

Thank you for listening to me! Smile

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM - Response #3

I am back...boy, I am keeping myself occupied here!! LOL...I kept looking at the profile listings and realized I wasn't looking at the classmate listings. SO....all is good now!! He was on the main list. Still need to verify it is him and he will be good to go.

Thank you for listening to me! Smile

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM - Response #4

You were right. When someone joins, they drop off the missing list. But they don't show up on the class profile list until you verify them. That's a little confusing, but... it is how it works. And they are still there on the Edit Classmates list so an admin can view what they've entered to help with the verification process.

I just had one whose info was brief but looked reasonable. Still, the IP address of her last login was some small town outside of Dallas. A phone call confirmed that it was her and she'd joined while driving to their winter home in California.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM - Response #5

Helpful info here for all of us. I have one site set to verification and am about to set others the same. The tough one is the alumni site. If anyone has an easy way to verify without the one being verified realizing it... I'm open to suggestions.
Asking for the impossible...? Sure! Cool

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 5:32 PM - Response #6

No way I know of Gwen, but... the Welcome message for new members is not sent until they're verified so it's pretty clear that there was a delay between when they joined and when they were Welcomed - and can then see profiles, locked pages, etc. It is confusing to a new member who joined and then temporarily can't find themselves on either the missing list or the class list. I think they should stay visible on the missing and class list, but display a notice that they're awaiting verification if clicked on.

At one time, when you turned verify on and verified all previously existing members, it reset their join date - and sent out notifies about them being a new member. I think (hope) that was fixed though, and turning verify on should be invisible to existing members.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM - Response #7

Ok. I got everything except your part, Gwen. Just curious. Why would anyone care whether or not they were being verified? It only proves the site to be private.
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.