ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Recently Discovered Feature

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/08/15 07:41 PM Views: 1133 Replies: 10
Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 7:41 PM

I just noticed that the screen showing previous messages in E-Mail the Class has a column labeled Read By that contains a numerical value. This is very valuable information to have. Thanks for its inclusion.

Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 9:48 PM - Response #1

I second that!

Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM - Response #2

I'm curious. We've sent out three emails using Email The Class over the last couple days. All were a 'Happy Birthday" email to a single person. Two of the three have no number in the Read By column - but one shows the number 4. Sooo.. what does that number mean?

Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 10:59 PM - Response #3

I see the column but it is empty in every case. I sent out a survey to 160 classmates and received more than 70 responses so I know people read it. Why am I not seeing a number in this column?

Thanks,
Janie

Monday, November 9, 2015 at 1:03 AM - Response #4

I am as curious as all of you and am jealous someone has a number in that column!

As to why one does and others do not, perhaps it has to do with when this new category was added.

All I can say is that I sent a message asking about it to one named Brad. Wink Now we wait...

Interesting, isn't it?

Monday, November 9, 2015 at 8:03 AM - Response #5

Janie,

Since it is a NEW FEATURE, it didn't apply to old emails. Your most recent email was sent on 10/01/15, so the code in the email that knows if the message has been viewed wasn't in the old emails, so nothing can be known about those old emails.

Monday, November 9, 2015 at 11:26 AM - Response #6

While a good idea it clearly has some problems. I sent a message out and it shows it going to 168 and read by 283 !!!!

Monday, November 9, 2015 at 7:19 PM - Response #7

Bug #1 - it's double counting (so 1 view is counted as 2 - at least in my test message)
Bug #2 - it counts every time the SAME email is opened. Needs to have a DB that tracks so this doesn't happen.

It does this by displaying an image (tinywhite square) with a "name" identifying your site+user+email. Looks like this

Btw, if the email client is set to block the display of images, it blocks this type of stealth tracking.

Edited 11/09/15 7:23 PM
Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 3:14 PM - Response #8

We are still working on the functionality. We may or may not be able to iron out all the wrinkles in this one right away. It should be used in terms of a "loose idea" of how many people are viewing the messages rather than as precise data. Nonetheless, we felt that it was good enough information that the admins would like to see the data.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 3:26 PM - Response #9

Bugs were fixed Cool Might have been a good idea to let us aware of this ahead of time though, plus the ability to turn it off. It's a thin area here.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 5:17 AM - Response #10

Awesome Feature! THANKS!

Been a while since I've done anything on my sites, but sent a message in the Class of '82 tonight, got it... then back on site to re-send same message to correct a url link in original message when... I NOTICED for the first time... the "Read By" column with a number "1" (one) in it. Wow! Super Great Feature!

So clueless as to how long this has been available, I had to find it on the forums to say THANK YOU! Glad all the bugs are worked out of it also! Thanks for the status update, Jack!

Now I will be able to know when most have at least opened the email... a request to take a survey, which we all know not everyone will do, but at least I will know they got the email and have that number to compare to survey responses. Kind of like an answer of 'not interested' in the survey subject matter regarding possible multi-year reunion summer 2016.

THANKS AGAIN for the "Read By" column in Email the Class!

Edited 01/24/16 5:18 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.