ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Embed gallery on homepage problems

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/25/11 07:24 PM Views: 1364 Replies: 11
Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I'm trying to embed a gallery slideshow on the homepage announcements and have followed the directions, but no matter what I do, it blows out. Any ideas?

Edited 08/25/11 7:25 PM
Friday, August 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM - Response #1

Hi Alyson,

It looks like you were successful in embedding a link to the slideshow. Do you want to embed it without visitors having to click on it? Perhaps you could elaborate a little on the phrase "blows out." I can imagine all sorts of things it might mean, but I have no idea which one, if any, you might have in mind. Wink

In the editor for the announcements, try clicking the "Source" button on the upper left and then pasting the embed code from the gallery creator. If it still "blows out," let us know and we'll try to identify the problem for you.

Friday, August 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM - Response #2

Actually, I was not successful with embedding it so just posted one picture and created a link to the gallery with the picture. When I try to embed the actual slideshow, it's too wide and ends up at the bottom of the page. I chose "small" like the directions say, but still happening. Could it be the captions causing problems. Finally gave up and did the other instead, but would like to know th answer for future reference.

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM - Response #3

You have your content area turned off and you are organizing all of your homepage content within the Announcements. This is fine, however the embed tag for the gallery must be placed in the Content area ... not an announcement, as the announcements only allow for a width of 380. If you turn on your content area, toggle the order to appear so that content is on top, and add your embed code back to the editor window for the homepage content area, this will work.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM - Response #4

Thank you! Just got power back after the hurricane and will try this. Have wondered what the content area is. Guess I will learn!

Monday, September 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM - Response #5

Scott - I too am having the same problem - I added a few things to the content box on Friday and everything LOOKED fine then - Saturday however, everything was "pushed to the bottom". Now I have completely REMOVED everything except plain on text in announcements and it STILL is pushed to the bottom. Suggestions? Thanks!

Monday, September 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM - Response #6

Scott - I figured it out - it was actually the PAYPAL donate button that is doing it. I turned it off for now - did they change width of button or something?! Like I said, margins were all fine Friday-ish then not today.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #7

Hi Lisa,

I don't think PayPal has widened their buttons, so I'm guessing it was something else, but unless I can look at the code you were using, I won't be able to tell you what it was.

You can create a test page on the site with the problem code in it and just make sure the "Active" box in Edit Site Pages is unchecked so it doesn't go live.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM - Response #8

Thanks Eric - but still the same. My page is ok just like it is now but when I activate the DONATE button, it shoves everything to the bottom and makes all the boxes on the right (donate, profile update, where we are, etc.) go wider.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Response #9

Lisa,

I just activated and then deactivated the donate option on your home page so I could see the difference, and the only difference I see is that the gallery drops lower on the page. I'm viewing the page in both Firefox and Internet Explorer, and the result is the same. Can you do a screen capture and attach it to a reply se we can see the problem you see?
You can do a screencap on a Mac by using command-shift-3 (creates a file on your Desktop), or on Windows by using the key labeled "Prt Scr" or "Print Screen", and then opening Paint from Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories, and then pasting, then saving the file.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM - Response #10

Imagine that!! I literally messed with it for hours (you can see the history of backups) and positively would not work the last couple days – when donate was activated, it would make the side boxes wider and push announcements/content to bottom.

Do they foresee in future making it so width of page can be wider, with less "dead space" on the right when viewed on widescreens?

Thank you!
Lisa

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM - Response #11

"Do they foresee in future making it so width of page can be wider, with less "dead space" on the right when viewed on widescreens? "

Actually, we are currently working on adding some new designs that will be available later this fall. They won't be 100% wide, just wider than they are now. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.