ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

HELP! What Happened to the Page?!?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/19/09 12:14 PM Views: 1375 Replies: 10
Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Dear Brad and Staff,

Please check out our website. I had finished loading a slide show from slide.com to the 40th Reunion Page. I was completing putting all slide shows and photographs from our 40 year reunion onto one page. The slide show was accepted but when I went back to it to check it out, the only thing that came up was "null" in the upper left corner. Oh, please tell me that all this work has not disappeared. Puh-lease.....

Pam Murray

Edited 03/19/09 12:22 PM
Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM - Response #1

The problem is third party source code. In this case it looks like Microoft Word code in there, although I'm not positive. The code is referencing styles and other things that don't exist. I ran a filter to clear up the code, you may have to do some slight reformatting.

A couple rules of thumb:

1) If you're pasting in text from Microsfot Word, always use the "Paste from Word" buton instead of the regular paste button. This will strip out all the Word source code that tends to mess up your page (or in cases like yours here, can even stop it from displaying at all).

2) If you're pasting in third party text from something other than Word, it's a good idea to open up Notepad or any other plain ASCII text editor and paste the text there first. Then reselect your text, copy it again, and then paste it into your Class Creator site. This will ensure you're pasting in clean text with no behind the scenes code.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 12:45 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your quick response. The page still shows "null" at the top left. Can you get the slide shows and pictures back on so that I can do whatever you have told me to do? Thanks a bunch.

Pam

Brad, are you able to see any codes when you click "Source"? When I click"Source", I only see the word "null". I wish I could see anything -that would give me hope that the slide shows, and photographs are still there somewhere.What do you think?

Edited 03/19/09 1:56 PM
Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM - Response #3

Ok, first let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples. The page I fixed is your 40th reunion page, which is the page you get when you click on your Reunion Planner and then click the edit icon. It is currently not active. After I fixed it I actived it briefly, ensured it was fixed, and then deactivated it again. I just checked again and that page is working fine.

Now, I'm a little confused because you're talking about an embedded slideshow, yet there is no embedded slidedhow on your 40th reunion page. Thus if you want one on there you're going to have to copy the slideshow source code again and paste it back in there. If you're talking about a slide show on any other page please let me know the name of the page.

Finally, if you're seeing "null" on this or any other page, please clear you're browser's cache and also reboot your computer. After doing both of these things please let me know if the "null" is gone. If it's not then please tell me the exact web browser and browser version # that you are using.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 2:56 PM - Response #4

The page you are talking about is the one we used as the Reunion Planner. It is inactive since last summer when we had our reunion. There is another page called 40th Reunion. I had 3 separate slide shows on it, and along with many photographs that had been uploaded on to it. Everything was fine - all 3 were loaded and working; the photographs were there. I clicked out of it, went back and the null was all that there was. I feel sick.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 3:52 PM - Response #5

Oh I see, I was looking at the wrong page... I'm afraid you're not going to like my answer Pam. There is nothing usable on that page. "Null" is actually on the page, I.E. it's regular text saved on the page. Don't ask me why it's that way because I wont know -- I can only tell you that's what's on your page currently.

The only thing you can do is repaste your slide show code into the page. If there's any glimmer of hope here, it's that all of your slide show source code should still be saved wherever you created those shows, so you haven't really lost anything. You just need to copy that same code again and paste it back in there.

Although this won't help you this time, this is precisely why we're going to create the built in page backup system, storing the last 5 or so times you've saved the page in case you need to revert back to something. That'll be coming later this year.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM - Response #6

Pam, how frustrating! :O(

Until the backup system comes online, here are two ways that you can backup your pages yourself.

1. Any time you edit your page, select and copy everything in Source view, then paste it into a notepad. Name it whatever your page name is, and put it into a folder called "source code". You can overwrite this whenever you re-edit the page.

2. Alternatively, when you are viewing your already edited page, go up to View, click on Source, then save that, as above. This method is a bit faster but if you need your source later, you will have to scroll past all the classcreator source to find it, and you will need to know how to recognize it.

If I had experienced losing a page the way you describe, I would try to remember to always use method #1. :O)

Also, I always paste any code for a third party plug-in into a notepad, save as, name it and file it in my source code folder. Then I can always retrieve it later if need be.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to retrieve your slide shows!

Edited 03/19/09 9:36 PM
Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM - Response #7

Excellent advice, thank you Marian.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 11:56 PM - Response #8

Brad Switzer wrote:

The problem is third party source code. In this case it looks like Microoft Word code in there, although I'm not positive. The code is referencing styles and other things that don't exist. I ran a filter to clear up the code, you may have to do some slight reformatting.

A couple rules of thumb:

1) If you're pasting in text from Microsfot Word, always use the "Paste from Word" buton instead of the regular paste button. This will strip out all the Word source code that tends to mess up your page (or in cases like yours here, can even stop it from displaying at all).

2) If you're pasting in third party text from something other than Word, it's a good idea to open up Notepad or any other plain ASCII text editor and paste the text there first. Then reselect your text, copy it again, and then paste it into your Class Creator site. This will ensure you're pasting in clean text with no behind the scenes code.

"...then reselect your text.."; ???? Do I have to "save" or "save as" ?

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 12:00 AM - Response #9

No. You paste your text into Notepad, simply select it again, and pres control-C to copy it again. No need to save anything. Then just paste into your Class Creator site.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM - Response #10

Oh, Okay, Hi-lite it. Gotcha! Thanks!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.