ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Default Font

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/15/12 05:25 PM Views: 1765 Replies: 12
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Is there a way to set the default text font used for page content?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM - Response #1

Yes by overriding CC style definitions

See THIS PAGE where I changed the left side menu and default fonts for "history".

These are defined in "/templates/css/class_z_02_css.css" for our template.

If you view the source of your CC pages you can find these for your pages.

If you switch to CC 3.0 or other styles you may have to make modifications if the names change.

CC can advise best here, I'm just showing it technically can be done.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM - Response #2

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Yes by overriding CC style definitions

See THIS PAGE where I changed the left side menu and default fonts for "history".

These are defined in "/templates/css/class_z_02_css.css" for our template.

If you view the source of your CC pages you can find these for your pages.

If you switch to CC 3.0 or other styles you may have to
make modifications if the names change.

CC can advise best here, I'm just showing it technically can be done.

Thanks Jack. I'm probably getting into something here that's beyond my comprehension, but are saying that you can access and modify the .css file that CC created? Also, what is CC 3.0?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM - Response #3

You can't modify the CC .css file, but you can redefine the definitions. That's what I did, add a style with exactly the same names that CC used but with different font sizes.

CC 3.0 is the next release of CC software with new styles and options. For example, it will let you reorder the left side menu (possible now with some styles only with a few tricks).

The current editor is one of the first pieces released.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 5:23 AM - Response #4

On a similar subject regarding fonts -

The new editor doesn't indicate what font size, style etc like the old one used to do when you put your cursor in amongst the text. Not a major problem but I'm finding it difficult to match up font sizes and styles when I add to pages I created with the old Editor. I don't want to have to resize everything so that it looks right on the page.

My Filed Trips page is a case in point where I can't remember what I used to start the page. I'd like to stick to that style and text size but can't recall what it was and can't seem to replicate it.

Any ideas anyone?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM - Response #5

Mark,

If you go to the Source view in the editor, you'll see your text content is surrounded by a bunch of HTML tags (the pieces of text enclosed in angle brackets) that look like this (for example):

If you break them apart onto separate lines, it is a little easier to see what they're doing:

Each tag above is the opening one of a pair, and the pairs are nested, wirth the actual text in the innermost position. Each tag supercedes the previous ones in the application of styling to the text contained inside its pair. So, what we see here is that you tried some different styles for the text, and ultimately decided on "Courier New" in the color blue (that's what the #0000ff means), and in bold face (that's what the "b" tag does), sized "medium".

You can look through the source view on your pages for these tags to find what font and size you used previously.

Edited 02/17/12 10:16 AM
Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM - Response #6

Mark's post states the exact problem that I've had and is the reason I was hoping to be able to set a default font, so I wouldn't need to remember what I used previously.

The problem with using the source view to find out what font is used is that the source code may show "font-size: medium" but "medium" is not a choice in the font size drop-down list. The font sizes are numeric. And figuring out which color was used by deciphering the hex code is not straightforward. In any case, this is a cumbersome way to figure out which font was used. It would be much easier if the editor could indicate the font for highlighted text.

Edited 02/16/12 11:39 AM
Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM - Response #7

Thanks for the explanation Eric, but I have to agree with Dick. It's still too time consuming to work out what is the current equivalent size to, for instance, 'medium'. I'm still not convinced the new editor is an improvement on the old, from the user's point of view.

Incidentally, I can't see what you wrote after "a little easier to see what they're doing", although it does show in the email notification I got.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM - Response #8

The editor is not our code, and the license we've purchased for it is an "as is" sort. We don't have the option of making the change you request, and we have not been able to find a better editor for the needs we have.

The old version of the editor used "small, medium, large, etc." font-sizing, and the current version uses numerical sizing. If you want to have better control over your content styling than the editor offers, you could invest a small amount of time at http://w3schools.com learning some of the HTML and CSS with which it is done. That's the best suggestion I can make at this time.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM - Response #9

Here is the rest of that previous comment:

Edited 02/16/12 3:05 PM
Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Eric. That's disappointing news. I did hope the new Editor was going to make life easier for everyone. I'd prefer my site to be reasonably standardised but that's going to mean an awful lot of work now.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM - Response #11

You can also use your own HTML editor for FREE.

LINK

This is similar to graphics editing programs. The purpose is the same, the way they go about their job differs.

You can also buy an editor of course.

As you try them out, you find out which ones you like the most and which one are good for the odd thing. It takes a bit of experimenting with each.

It will take a learning curve in how to combine this with CC - you make the page locally on your computer and copy and paste in source mode into the CC editor. You also need to learn about making links to your file vault. The end result may make you happy or notExclamation

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM - Response #12

There is probably a better way to do this, but, using TextExpander, I start my work by dropping my preferred default into the edit window. It comes up as "STYLE" and when I select it, I can start typing what I want.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.