ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Photo Gallery - Colors on Embedded Captions

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/05/10 10:39 PM Views: 1540 Replies: 5
Friday, November 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Hi -- am trying to use Photo Gallery for the first time to post photos of our 60th Birthday Bash (very successful event, by the way - more on that later!) and tried a couple of ways. At first, I tried using the navigational link but it will only position the gallery page at the top of all my page links -- any way to choose where it lands on the page links from the home page? I don't want it at the top, I'd rather have it in a particular sequence with other customized pages that have photos from previous reunions.

So, I then I experimented and tried to embed one of the galleries into a customized link page to see how that looked but the default caption colors are awful - white lettering on light orange -- any way to change those caption lettering or background colors (at least to change the white letters to black)? The way it is now, it's very hard to read during the slide show.

Thanks! Elaine

Edited 11/05/10 10:40 PM
Friday, November 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM - Response #1

Hi Elaine:

I can tell you the caption colors are derived from the class colors you set in the Administrative Functions.

After you click on the SOURCE button in the editor area, You'll need to scroll through any existing code to figure out where to paste the embed code.

One solution is that BEFORE you click on the SOURCE button, you add some copy in the area where you want the slide show to appear like "SLIDE SHOW HERE". Then after you've clicked on the SOURCE button, you can scroll through and find those key words. Drag over them and paste the code where the words were.

Same is true for the link -- which is a code that needs to be entered as SOURCE code.

That should do the trick.

Edited 11/05/10 11:07 PM
Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 1:20 AM - Response #2

Link sorting, renaming and much more is coming as part of the ongoing system restructure. To your color problem though, I agree, the caption doesn't look good. I think the programmer was adding some type of gray shadowing on the lettering to ensure the captions would be readable against any primary school color. I don't think the primary school color surrounding the caption is necessary at all though. Too much of a good thing... Regular old black captions on a white background is really all that's needed here (keep it simple stupid). I'm going to ask the Programmer to make this change.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 1:21 AM - Response #3

By the way, if you're embedding onto one of your Customizable Links pages I'd use the sub page setting instead of the home page setting. You'll get much nicer, larger photos that way. I think you used the home page setting, which is meant to produce a smaller embedded slideshow that will fit nicely on your home page which is in 2 columns. No reason to make it small on any of your sub pages though.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 2:30 AM - Response #4

Hi Brad, Thank you -- I always like keeping it as simple as possible!! Black on white is what you all have with the Gallery itself which I love (and just wish I could put where I want but will be patient...). It will be such a relief to be able to sort the navigational links on the home page the way I want them to appear! Looking forward to that -- yaaaay!!!

The coloring on the embedded captions now, though, kind of looks like the colors are being picked up from the "accent" and "link" colors from my color choices set in the Admin Functions (I checked that out when John mentioned it in his response to my post). I was wondering if that's how caption colors are actually being picked up by embedded galleries??? And, was thinking of changing the "accent" color to a darker orange to see if that made a difference but my attention was diverted by other things tonight until now. And, well, yes, it doesn't look real good however it is happening....

And, yes, right now you'll see I did use the home page setting after trying the sub page one which kind of looked too large to me as I'm going to embed all 5 galleries on one page verses having the photos appear first on the navigational links on the home page out of sequence of other events. I'm still experimenting and in process with this, though, and may change back to the larger version when all is said and done.

Please keep me posted on the color thing, OK? Again, thanks much!

Elaine

Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM - Response #5

Ok. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.