ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Admin Get-Together in Austin

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/16/10 06:58 PM Views: 3821 Replies: 21
Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM
Sue, Char, Anne & Carolyn 2.jpg

Out of curiosity, I checked out the CC list of schools in my area (Austin, TX) with websites and contacted the administrators of a couple to see if we could get together for coffee. Well, today we did. See the attached photo of Sue Bailey (Paschal HS '69, Fort Worth, TX), Char Eppright and Anne Carlson (Austin High School '61, Austin, TX) and Carolyn Wilson (McPherson HS '62, McPherson, KS) as we enjoy coffee at Mozart's on Lake Austin and share tips and ooohs and ahhhhs while looking at all three sites. It was great fun, and we plan to do this monthly. Anyone else in the area is welcome to join!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM - Response #1

All right, now I have to tell you I truly love that photo. Here's a group of Admins getting together for coffee talking about their respective class web sites, just look at you guys with laptops and iPads and iPhones etc. That's just too much. It's a great pic and a great post, thanks for sharing this with everyone. It put a big ol' smile right on my face. We started a system to unite Classmates, and you've just taken it to a level we never foresaw. Can we use that pic in our advertising? It really speaks volumes.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM - Response #2

We all agree that you can use our pic. Just let us know so we can celebrate any future fame. Pretty high tech for a group of 60-somethings, don't ya think?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 8:24 PM - Response #3

Excellent idea!
Maybe some admins. from other areas can get together in the futher.

[hint, hint, - Houston area admins!] LOL

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM - Response #4

What a GREAT idea, Ladies. I would love to host a group in the Metro Atlanta are.

JohnB

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM - Response #5

I'll do the same for The ChiTown Area!!!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM - Response #6

And just how do you pull up a list of Admins for a specific geographical area? Smile I'm older than dirt, it's easier to ask you than to start searching.

Hmmm, actually I'm from NHS Class of 1960 but I see this showed up on the Class of '61 which I also started for my "lil brother". Smile

Edited 09/16/10 9:40 PM
Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM - Response #7

Carolyn Wilson wrote:

We all agree that you can use our pic. Just let us know so we can celebrate any future fame. Pretty high tech for a group of 60-somethings, don't ya think?

Carolyn,

What you really should consider doing is checking with the management of the coffee shop and see if they would be willing to provide you with some "sponsorship money for the publicity" you will be furnishing. Are they a chain perhaps? And all us admins around the country might consider utilizing their facilities??? (hint) The very least you should "settle" forLaughing would be some "coupons" for a free cup of coffee, etc. etc. etc. Just a thought--for you entrepreneursRolling Eyes.

Now then don't put yourself down--the older we get, the more creative we become--and you have hit on a GREAT idea. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 12:12 AM - Response #8

Bill Holly wrote:

And just how do you pull up a list of Admins for a specific geographical area? Smile I'm older than dirt, it's easier to ask you than to start searching.

Hmmm, actually I'm from NHS Class of 1960 but I see this showed up on the Class of '61 which I also started for my "lil brother". Smile

#1 - you can use the FIND SCHOOL
http://www.classcreator.com/findschool.cfm
This link will get all of the ones from your home town:
http://www.classcreator.com/findschool-school.cfm?cid=1&sid=19&ctid=4802

#2 - if you logout of the forums and login to your website and then click on HELP FORUMS link, it should log you in so it shows as Class of 1960. If you have the same username/password at both sites, it might get confused.

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 2:56 AM - Response #9
Sue, Char, Anne & Carolyn 2.jpg

Carolyn Wilson wrote:

...It was great fun, and we plan to do this monthly. Anyone else in the area is welcome to join!

Wish I was in Austin -- great city -- and a great looking group of admins! Wink

Looks like we might launch CCUG's before we get the Convention going.

CCUG = Class Creator Users Groups

Edited 09/17/10 2:57 AM
Friday, September 17, 2010 at 8:52 AM - Response #10

Kyle Erickson wrote:

#1 - you can use the FIND SCHOOL
http://www.classcreator.com/findschool.cfm
This link will get all of the ones from your home town:
http://www.classcreator.com/findschool-school.cfm?cid=1&sid=19&ctid=4802

Morning!
Kyle, is the second link to the area Bill needs or will it work for all?

Thanks.
Gwen

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM - Response #11

The 2nd link is only for his city. Use the findschool.cfm link, then click USA, then click your STATE, then click your CITY, and you will be able to get the same information.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM - Response #12

Mozart's coffee shop is a local hangout, not a chain. And they didn't make much money off us for the use of a table for three hours and four women all talking at once. But let me know if you are ever in Austin and I'll meet you there.

But here's another idea. I live in TX but my high school is in KS. I expect that is true for many administrators. So no one looking just in TX would have found me. I was lucky to connect with these great women!

BUT, if we had a map, such as the "Where are they now?" map just for administrators, it would show where we actually live. And if hovering over each location on the map showed the admin's name, school, and year, it would be very easy to locate people by just looking for them on the Help Forums.

What do you think?

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM - Response #13

Neat suggestion. We will discuss.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM - Response #14

Brad, if you give out admin locations to help admins get together, I suggest that you give locations only of admins who express an interest in meeting other admins. Some admins may not want to be contacted by other admins or may not want their locations revealed for other reasons. Thanks.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM - Response #15

Right, it would have to be opt in and even then we wouldn't show exact street locations, just like we don't on the Classmates Map.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM - Response #16

Maybe this would get ME interested in our class site again. I live in Memphis and my high school is in Missouri.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM - Response #17
mozart's cropped.jpg

Today we unofficially formed the official (or officially formed the unofficial) Texas Hill Country Admins. This small (best for serious conversation), yet highly interactive group discussed the hub proposal on CC, ways to handle classmate situations, reunions, technical issues, and anything else we thought of. Getting to actually put real faces and voices to those we talk to in the forums was an incredible experience. For me, it helped alleviate the isolation of being an admin.

We met at Mozart's, a coffee shop on the lake in Austin. The group shown consists of (L to R) Margaret (Weslaco HS), Sue (Pascal HS), Char (Austin HS), and Carolyn (McPherson HS).

To all of you who have expressed an interest in doing something similiar in your area, we say, "Just do it!" It is worth the effort.

Margaret

Friday, October 22, 2010 at 7:03 AM - Response #18

Love this idea......and I hope to gather Admins within a 50 or so mile radius of my home (Winston-Salem, NC area)

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM - Response #19

I would love to get together online with other admins from my hometown area... when we have a way to find them here. Or... have I missed something?

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM - Response #20

For the moment the best way to find other classes is through our Locate School feature at www.ClassCreator.com.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM - Response #21

Thanks, Brad!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.