ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Post it Note

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/11/14 01:39 PM Views: 750 Replies: 14
Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

HELP! I have a post it note on my front page, that I have inactive because it is wrong. It lists all the classmates instead of just the missing persons. I put it on a while back and can't seem to remember how I did it or how to edit it? Could you help me out with this, SOMEONE! When I go into the page and preview it I can't edit it. When I go into the edit and pull it up there is nothing there. Help please. Many, Many Thanks.. Faye

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM - Response #1

Hi Faye,

The Post-It Note is in your announcement called "Yellow Sticky Note - Missing Classmates". You can edit it through POST ANNOUNCEMENTS menu. How is it wrong?

The code of the announcement includes "$missing_names_firstname$" which should list only the missing classmates. You have appended after this another list of classmates, which never changes because it is part of the text of the announcement.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM - Response #2

Hi Kyle,
It is wrong as it has ALL the classmates on it when you view it from the first page with the ones I put there at the bottom of the list. I only need to show the ones who we can't find. It looks right on the edit page but when I enable it on the home page it shows everyone with the ones I added on the bottom of the scroll list. Am I confusing you as I am. Faye

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM - Response #3

I understand what you are saying, Faye. I had a class with the same thought... that missing classmates are only missing to your class if you have no idea where they are. I used the Post-It and had to remove EVERY one of the 'found but not registered on the site' members. It is not easy and then you have to go back to edit it each time another is found. Not fun.
Cool

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM - Response #4

I surely don't want to do that .. I might just take the post it note off and do it another way.. it was so cute..... however if i have to do what you did, i'm not in the mood for that. Thanks Faye PS. how do i GET MY name on the right side of this post instead of my email.? maybe you know.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM - Response #5

GO up to Settings at the top of this page, Faye.

Maybe Kyle can come up with a way to trick the post-it for us. Hey, one can wish... right? Smile

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM - Response #6

if anyone can he can! WE GOT FAITH IN YOU KYLE! thanks Gwen

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM - Response #7

I just had a thought, Faye. I believe CC will be adding icons for us to place next to our member's names to show they were involved in sports and so on. A mailbox or a phone might be good icons to show we have found someone who is not on the site. I like the idea... what about you, Faye?

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM - Response #8

sure, sounds good to me.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM - Response #9

The $missing_names_firstname$ command is showing your definition of missing classmates.

X   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates who have not joined the site.
O   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no email address entered in the system.
O   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no street address entered in the system.
O   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with neither email address nor street address entered in the system.

the above settings can be found on the Edit Site Pages, EDIT PAGE of the Missing Classmates page, at the very top.

You had the first one selected, but then I changed it to the 4th one, which also doesn't seem right.

If you are going to have static (non changing) text in your post-it note and keep it up-to-date by yourself and not have the website keep track for you, you can delete the "$missing_names_firstname$" from the announcement.

If you want the website to keep track of them for you, delete your static text names you added after the "$missing_names_firstname$" command.

If you go to Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates for someone the system thinks is missing, for example "Ray    Aitken " because he hasn't joined the website yet, you can click the DETAILS for that classmate and choose the Missing Override option:

Missing Override:        
Classmates appear on your Missing Classmates page based on the criteria you have set. If this Classmate meets your criteria and you need to remove their name from your Missing Classmates page anyway, check this box.

You can also activate your Missing Classmates page if you wanted to (Edit Site Pages, scroll down to the Missing Classmates, click the EDIT LINK, and check the ACTIVE check-box and then save the changes.

The Missing Classmates page should show you the same information that the "$missing_names_firstname$" command will show you in your announcement if you have the names inserted automatically.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 7:29 PM - Response #10

WOW! That was alot of information. I will go through those instructions and try it out. Thank you for being so detailed as that is what I NEED. Glad you are there to help. Three cheers for Kyle. Thanks yet again. Faye

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM - Response #11

We "Spanish Fork"ers need to stick together!

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 7:44 PM - Response #12

AMEN TO THAT!

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM - Response #13

Hey, I'm not reading any love in that for "we" CC staffers, Kyle!

Faye, you laughing with me? Wink

Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM - Response #14

Thanks so much for your help. I finally got it to where I can live with it now. ALWAYS, thank you for the promptness on your help. Kyle, have the people on your web page been helpful and changed over from SFCN? Maybe it's our age but my classmates aren't moving any to swiftly. I decided to send them out of my personal email which is an extra step but what do you do???? Thanks for the write up you posted as I used it on my Home page as you noticed. Hope it will get more to read it and comply. You told me once and I forgot but which page tells me how much space I have left? Thanks again Faye
PS. thanks to you gwen for your help also...

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.