ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Event Planner Map Icon

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/09/19 10:45 AM Views: 540 Replies: 6
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 10:45 AM

I created an event and then an activity. I checked the box to display a map and when I enter an address, a "broken image" icon appears.
When I look at the actual event page, on the right side of the screen is a calendar "please join us for" box and right above the map link (which works by the way) is the same broken image icon.
It's trying to load: http://www.grady69.org/images/event_activities/9767.png
Did I miss somewhere I was supposed to upload a map icon or image? Or is it broke?

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 11:38 AM - Response #1

Looks like that image is defective. It has errors inside.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 9:02 PM - Response #2

Clifton,

I helped another class with this the other day.

Below the activity details, be sure the following box is checked:

Activity Map Details
(box to check) Display an interactive map to this activity.

EDIT ADD: My apologies, I see you mentioned checking the box in your post. That worked for us the other day, yet I did a test on a 2020 reunion and you are right, the map on the right is broken this evening. However, when I click on "View Map and Directions" it opens to the marked location in Google maps. I'll forward a link to this thread to the office. If I am missing something else, I welcome the reminder.

SECOND EDIT ADD: Another reunion I helped with shows the map this evening. I'm checking everything twice to see if I missed something on the 2020 reunion. Stay Tuned...

BACK AGAIN: I am sharing this as info for CC.
The other reunion I checked is one from my school. On that, I did add the embed code. I input this reunion's info and recall the first embed code did not work. I had to slow down, read how to make the embed code again and that worked. This evening, I copied the embed code as our 2020 reunion has an event at the same location. After pasting it into the embed field and publishing, the map now shows.

While something is broken, as noted by Jack, give the embed code another try as I did.

Again, last week for another site, I was able to add the map and see it after publishing without an embed code.

Edited 04/09/19 10:53 PM
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM - Response #3

Gwen,

Thanks for being thorough and re-reading my post.
You say "give the embed code another try" - I've never tried the embed code. I just checked the box and assumed the system would generate the map link - which it does - but the icon is apparently missing or broken.

So are you saying that they aren't going to fix this and I should try the embed code as a workaround?

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 4:32 PM - Response #4

Thanks for understanding I read your original post too fast, Clifton.

It was a workaround until the office looked at it. I believe they are looking at it today. Hang in there.

Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 3:14 PM - Response #5

I will see if there is a status update on this issue. However the work around of adding your own code does seem to still work.

Friday, April 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM - Response #6

OK Houston, we still seem to have a problem.

The Map Icons is now appearing on the Event page of the Grady69.org website. But it's not the correct map. The "pin" is in the wrong position. If you look at the full map (click the "Directions" link under the icon) you will see the correct location/pin.

I suspect what is happening is the street address is getting cut off. In Atlanta, GA, there are 71 streets with the word "Peachtree" in their names (google it - it's amazing). That's why its incredibly important to get the entire street name exactly right. If you put "200 Peachtree Street" the map sites default to "200 Peachtree Street Southeast" for some reason. In fact, that's not a very safe part of town. To get them to the correct part of town it's critical that this address be passed as "200 Peachtree Street Northwest". Sadly, abbreviating street to St. or Northwest to NW doesn't always work correctly either. So if you're not passing a long enough field length to the mapping software for this icon . . . .

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.