ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

I'm in over my head! Please help!

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/08/08 09:29 PM Views: 1429 Replies: 11
Monday, December 8, 2008 at 9:29 PM

I am wondering if there is someone who can help me make my page a bit more interesting! Sadly, I have a VERY basic understanding of computers but I would like to add music to my page along with a few other things. I can't figure out how to do anything!

Actually, VERY basic is being generous.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM - Response #1

If you think you are in over your head, this is the perfect place for you. You will learn so much. I know I did. Just look around - like on the subject how to build your web site. There are very detailed instructions. Just browse.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM - Response #2

This is so humiliating! I truly do not understand a word of any of it.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM - Response #3

The first thing I would do is go to http://www.playlist.com/. Set up an account. Try to set up some playlists. As an example, I have one with quite a few songs from 1974 (the year we graduated) on the home page, one on the reunion page, one on each of the memory pages, etc. First you need to decide what kind of songs you need to add. I would play with that for a while and then go to 3rd party plug ins on the forum list and look for adding music to the web site. Don't try to rush it if you don't feel comfortable.
Look at my site if you want.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 10:05 PM - Response #4

It is confusing at times, but there are so many good leads on what to put on your site in the Forum. I read some of them and then go to other people's sites. If I see something I like (a widget for example) I will email the site person. Although I must say that I have emailed the wrong person or group a time or two. I've also redone a few things or thought Ta Da! only to find it was Ta DudEmbarassed

Take a look at the sites and you'll find some are very straight to the point and others are a little dressier. Once you start getting the hang of it you may wish you hadn't it becomes very addictive! K

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 10:19 PM - Response #5

Look at my site and see anything appealing.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 10:31 PM - Response #6

Hi Maggie,
Hang in there! The mud you are wallowing in will soon become clearer water! LOL My suggestion to you is to look around on different school sites. First, find the one thing you really like and want to put on your site, email the admin and tackle that one project until you get it on your site the way you want it to be. Then go for your second task! Eventually your site will look as you can only imagine now! You will find the people on this site are very willing to help and are great support. I think the secret to your sanity will be to conquer one hurdle at a time and don't become overwhelmed by trying to do it all at once!
Good Luck!Smile

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM - Response #7

Stay with it and do not give up. We are here to help if we can. I was new at it and learned as I went alone and made some mistakes and learned from it.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 11:32 PM - Response #8

I agree with the "one hurdle" philosophy mentioned above. What seems daunting now will seem less and less daunting as you pass each hurdle. And then all of a sudden you're going to say "Hey, I get this!" I promise you it's really not so hard. Pick one lone thing that you'd like to do and tell me what it is. Let's cross that hurdle first. And then after that let's choose another hurdle to tackle.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 8:53 AM - Response #9

Like You, I was a newbie to this. I have learned a lot by checking out other sites and asking questions. There is a wonderful network of support right here. All you have to do is ask. We have all been there. I am still learning so much through trial and error. The advice you have received here, one step at a time, is right on the mark. Your site doesn't have to be as snazzy as others. Choose what works for you and your class. Best wishes with your site. Tam

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM - Response #10

I would agree with everyone's statement. I think we are all at different levels of computer knowledge and from looking at various websites, we are all making progress. One thing I have noticed with this forum is everyone is willing to help and Brad is excellent at giving a response in a very timely matter. My recommendation would be if you are struggling, put your issue here on the forums and someone will give you a complete answer as we have all done it or had the same hurdle. No questions is a wrong question. Would rather you do that then give up in your frustrations because once you start getting the hang of it you become addicted. If you see something on my site you are trying to do please feel free to email me and I will help in any way I can.

Edited 12/09/08 1:09 PM
Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 4:30 PM - Response #11

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been looking at some pages and I plan on sending out some e-mails with specific questions.
Everyone on here is so nice and helpful! I truly appreciate all the encouragement and help!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.