Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

In Memory - Yearbook Photo Button

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/30/11 02:24 PM Views: 1352 Replies: 10
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Go to Edit Site Pages
Go to Edit In Memory

Can we have a third Display Button “Show Yearbook Photo”?

This way we could have an option to turn on the “Show Yearbook Photo” with Classmates by Year Deceased or Alphabetically as an “In Memory” default.

Kudos in advance,
CAV

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM - Response #1

The reason we don't have this as a default option is because loading the yearbook photos can make the page load time much longer, and thereby make the end user experience noticeably less pleasant. This will especially affect sites with older memberships, as the likelihood of larger numbers of deceased former classmates is increased.

We try not to offer our site admins too many options which have the potential to significantly degrade the performance of the site for their users, while preserving the widest array of options for individual users. Many of our admins are not aware of how page content settings can affect the useability of their site for their classmates, so we try to limit the number of potential pitfalls we place in their paths. I'm afraid this is just one of the many trade-off situations that pop up when offering a service like ours.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM - Response #2

I'm satisfied ... thanks for your detailed explanation. I just assumed the Class of '69 would live on forever!!!

As always excellent service.

Kudos,
...CAV...

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM - Response #3

I take it that in order to use the Show Yearbook Photo option, you have to create and load a picture to this individual, correct?

We have several classmates who have died. I have loaded their graduation picture under the In Memory section. When you click on their name in this section, you will see their picture.

Now if you go to the top of the page and click on Show Yearbook Picture, their name shows up but not their picture. Is there a way to have their picture show up with this option regardless of whether or not a profile has been created for an individual?

Right now I suspect that I will have to go create a profile and upload their picture to the profile for this option to work.Question

Thanks,
George

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM - Response #4

Ohumble1 (love the name),

In order for the yearbook photo to show on the In memory page, you need to add the yearbook photo on the Manage Classmates page. Click "Enter/Edit Classmates" and then select the classmate and click "Add" in the yearbook photo column.

Monday, April 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM - Response #5

Eric,
I have added Sr. pictures of our teachers as you indicated above through Manage Classmates pages- thinking they would show up on their In Memory page? They do not. It shows their names two times. We had added information about them, before their picture was added, but I was thinking it would wrap around their pictures. If I had a today picture from their obit page then I added that picture at the In Memory page.
What's the problem with the Sr. pictures Question
This is at the other site: wichitawest62.com

Edited 04/23/12 4:50 PM
Monday, April 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM - Response #6

Karen,

I don't see what you're describing. Can you give me specific example of someone on whose In Memory page this appears, and then describe exactly what appears on that page that is different from what you're expecting?

Monday, April 23, 2012 at 6:06 PM - Response #7

At the wichitwest62.com website on the In Memory tab. I did a Alpha and Show Yearbook picture. Guest section of the Teachers - Beaver, Dunlap, Estill, + a total of 13 teachers pictures not showing. Now 14 teachers. I deleted a teachers picture, obit picture of Kriweil, that was added in the Sr Picture way and tried to add a the real Sr. Picture and it's not showing. Both pictures are jpeg???

It shows their name twice - expecting a picture to be shown after I have done a search and saved from the Edit Manage Classmates area.

Edited 04/23/12 6:08 PM
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM - Response #8

I think I have discovered the problem. The images you uplaoded were named with the file ending ".jpeg" which is recognized as a filename ending for jpeg images, except our system for some reason doesn't recognize them. The file ending has to be ".jpg" (no "e") for the images to display properly.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM - Response #9

Karen,

The programmers have fixed it. We now support both ".jpg" and ".jpeg" You don't need to re-upload those images.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM - Response #10

I just checked all my sr. pictures are jpeg.
I'm working from a Mac and Iphoto.
Thanks I see that it is working now.Very Happy

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.