ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Special Page for a Classmate that All Can See?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/19/10 02:33 PM Views: 1819 Replies: 9
Monday, April 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Perhaps unusual, but I was wondering if some kind of page with a series of posts from any/all Classmates could be made towards one specific Classmate. A classmate has been determined to have an uncurable cancer and will be in Chemo treatment to try to slow it down.

I thought it would be nice for him to have his own page that everyone could see and post their Good Wishes. Would that best be done with a special Announcement, but I don't want to be involved in approving every single Announcement Post.

Has anyone ever done something like that, and if so, how would that be done? I searched Help, but can't get my phrases right for search.

Edited 04/19/10 2:33 PM
Monday, April 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM - Response #1

One way would be to create a topic in one of your User Forums (or use an entire forum)..such as "Well Wishes for John Doe", etc.

Also, you could perhaps direct your members to the classmate's own profile page, where they can all post their comments.

Edited 04/19/10 3:35 PM
Monday, April 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM - Response #2

Thanks Marian,

I've only been using this website since end of March. I didn't think of those 2 suggestions, but I like both. I'll look into which will most easily be available and visible.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM - Response #3

There is a really great website for cancer patients called Caring Bridge. Go to www.caringbridge.com to check it out. The actual patient will have to be the one to join, then anyone can leave messages. The patient can even keep a journal and add pictures.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM - Response #4

I was going to say the same thing about CaringBridge. We put a link on one of our classmates pages and also created a home page announcement with the link. After the classmate or a member of his family sets up the account you can put the link up, email the class to draw their attention to it. If your classmates choose to register, they will be sent updates by a wife or family member or the classmate. This way you do not have to administer anything and it is all done outside of your site. Classmates can still post their wishes and comments on his own private profile or on a CarinBridge journal entry.
It is a rather cool service.

In our case, our classmate recovered.

CaringBridge is a free, nonprofit web service that connects family and friends to share information, love and support during a health care crisis, treatment and recovery.

http://www.caringbridge.org

Edited 04/19/10 6:14 PM
Monday, April 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM - Response #5

Bruce Eskander (Administrator) wrote:

I was going to say the same thing about CaringBridge. We put a link on one of our classmates pages and also created a home page announcement with the link. After the classmate or a member of his family sets up the account you can put the link up, email the class to draw their attention to it. If your classmates choose to register, they will be sent updates by a wife or family member or the classmate. This way you do not have to administer anything and it is all done outside of your site. Classmates can still post their wishes and comments on his own private profile or on a CarinBridge journal entry.
It is a rather cool service.

In our case, our classmate recovered.

CaringBridge is a free, nonprofit web service that connects family and friends to share information, love and support during a health care crisis, treatment and recovery.

http://www.caringbridge.org

That sounds like the best overall approach. Linking through our own site, but sending to a site much more abundant in assistance.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM - Response #6

www.caringbridge.com will take you to www.caringbridge.org

So both URLs will work

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM - Response #7

I set up a CaringBridge website for a dear friend I was looking after. Unfortunately she passed away a few days later, so didn't do as much as I could have done with it, also my site here has suffered from neglect recently too. I just posted the Memorial Service info. You are welcome to visit my site: www.caringbridge.org/visit/annthornburg

FYI it is very easy to set up.

Edited 04/19/10 7:18 PM
Monday, April 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM - Response #8

Thanks for explaining the Caring Bridge Website. I should have done that myself, but you did an outstanding job, and I could not have described it better myself.
Esther

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM - Response #9

One of the things I did so people can leave comments on different pages such as photo gallery or reunion photo page is I created a post in the forum and just linked it to there...that way when they click in leave comment it takes them to the forum and they leave the comment there...
That might work for you...

Marsie

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.