ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Photos Problem

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/13/17 10:48 AM Views: 823 Replies: 9
Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM

I receive a lot of photos from classmates. Occasionally someone will send me some a different way and maybe sideways or upside down (i.e. 90 degrees left). I received one group from a classmates that came to me 90 degrees left. In this particular case, the photos were sent to me in the body of their email message, not as an attachment. I copied it to Word and then converted it to jpg (JPEG File Interchange Format) and saved. (I have done this in the past successfully, but not sure if any them need re-orienting.) I then corrected the orientation and saved. I downloaded it to my class website and it showed up sideways, just like I received it originally. Since, it didn't correct the problem, I downloaded Aviary Photo Editor and tried to correct, but with the same results. I use (Windows 10) on my new Dell desktop. My current example is after I created a new page "Ladies Luncheon 2017". Any suggestions? Thanks ~ Randy (SCHS Class of 1960)

Edited 05/13/17 10:53 AM
Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM - Response #1

Note: Just so you know, I just sent one of the same photos to me from my Samsung cellphone. I downloaded it to my desktop and it was downloaded as a jpg and it showed up with the correct orientation. Then I downloaded to my class website and it was 90 degrees left. Crazy... ~ Randy

Edited 05/13/17 12:17 PM
Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 12:25 PM - Response #2

Hi, Randy.

First, here is a link to the Photo Editor that is part of our sites. You will be able to rotate a classmates photo using the editor. It is available on profiles and our site pages.

Next, at times a photo shown in the body of an email will be an attachment at the bottom of the email. It may be there... or not. The last one I found was in the last line of the email window.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM - Response #3

Can't see your photos since site is members only. However, the issue is that CC doesn't decode "metadata" in an image. That tells how an image is "rotated".

For example, if you tilt your phone, that rotation is recorded with the image. Same thing with videos.

Usually saving again on your computer "fixes" the metadata. So it's weird that it did not. (All other reports of this have been fixed by doing that.) I can only tell you 100% what happened by looking at the image that is displayed incorrectly on your site.

Yes, the photo editor can fix this too but very slow compared to local editing.

Randy Faulk wrote:

Note: Just so you know, I just sent one of the same photos to me from my Samsung cellphone. I downloaded it to my desktop and it was downloaded as a jpg and it showed up with the correct orientation. Then I downloaded to my class website and it was 90 degrees left. Crazy... ~ Randy

Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM - Response #4

Thanks Gwen...I finally fixed it by using "Paint" to change png file to jpg. Then I could change orientation. By the way, is the "Photo Editor" on the site as you work on photos or is it a stand along link? I couldn't find it on my class site. Maybe I am overlooking it.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 1:49 PM - Response #5

Thanks Jack...I finally fixed it by using "Paint" to change png file to jpg. Then I could change orientation.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 3:34 PM - Response #6

Randy, The link I provided should have read "Photo Editor How-To Video". My error. My apologies. The video should answer your question.

With that shared, go into your File Vault. WAIT! I thought I used the photo editor in the file vault! I went there to give you step-by-step directions and do not see it. It IS available when we edit our profiles and in Gallery Creator. (See the word "Adjust" when moving your mouse over a photo editing your profile photos. In Gallery Creator, it is a button to the right of the thumbnail.) Jack V., has the Photo Editor been available in the File Vault to your recollection?

And, Randy, you could use Gallery Creator to make your page. That was our work around before Class Creator gave us the option to add more pages to our sites.

Well... that threw me. Again, my apologies, Randy!

Randy Faulk wrote:

Thanks Gwen...By the way, is the "Photo Editor" on the site as you work on photos or is it a stand along link? I couldn't find it on my class site. Maybe I am overlooking it.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 4:55 PM - Response #7

Gwen, I can see where the photo editor could be used for specific things in ClassCreator, such as adding a new profile photo. I had added a new page in "Edit Site Pages" and linked it to a new "Post Announcement" and had already added several photos. My real problem was that one of my classmates sent her photos in the "body" of the email (and they were "horizontal" as well) instead of just sending them as attachments. I saved her photos by "copy", then "paste" on a blank "word" document. (I have done that many times in the past.) Then I clicked on photo and hit "save as picture", "JPEG Interchange Format" and added a file name. Every time I did this it actually saved it as a PNG file intead of JPEG. Finally, I actually solved my problem using the "Paint" app. In Windows, I went to the bottom of the page where is says "Type here to search" and typed in "paint" and opened the "Paint" app. Then I followed the following steps: File, Open, Pictures. Then I clicked on the photo I wanted to change, File, Rotate, File, Save as "JPEG picture", added file name, save. It worked and and I successfully added her photos to the site. Have I totally confused you yet? LOL If so, I apologize. But it DID work! Thanks ~ Randy --- P.S. the Aviary Photo Editor is another app I use from time to time. However, it didn't solve this particular problem.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM - Response #8

Not to my knowledge.

I've never uploaded rotated PNG nor tested to see if the orientation gets "fixed" when saved like it does for JPG images. Can test later. I did mess with rotated JPGs sometime in the past. That's why I thought it was odd when Randy said it didn't fix it, but it was PNG not JPG as originally described.

Trivia detail: PNG is a lossless format, unlike JPEG. IOW every time you save ALL the bits stay exactly the same. Bit Data in a PNG is stored internally in ZIP format. It makes sense that Word would use that format since it preserves the bits exactly.

Gwen Corey wrote:

Jack V., has the Photo Editor been available in the File Vault to your recollection?

Edited 05/14/17 6:09 PM
Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 8:01 PM - Response #9

Jack, if you notice in my original question, I copied and saved to Windows and rotated to the proper position. My problem appeared to be that for some reason when I downloaded it to the class website, it was no longer corrected. It showed up just as it had been sent to me, oriented 90 degrees to the left. By the way, I just saved a photo someone else sent me that was in the body of their email, not as an attachment. I copied it and pasted it to a blank word document. I went through the same steps as before and downloaded it on the website perfectly. The only difference was that this one was oriented correctly. So, what obviously happened was that for some reason I forgot to save my classmate's photo after changing the orientation. How bad is that? I have been fooling around with websites for well over 15 years and cannot believe I didn't catch my error. I overlooked the obvious several times. Just goes to show a person, no matter how many times you have done something in the past, you can still screw up at any given moment. So there you have it! LOL

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.