ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

What files are included in storage capacity

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/06/14 11:15 PM Views: 1116 Replies: 10
Monday, October 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM

What files are included in our storage capacity? All pictures uploaded to profiles by classmates? Photos in What's New? I know the vault items and galleries are included. But what if I have ambitious classmates that upload lots of photos - does this use up our capacity?

Monday, October 6, 2014 at 11:49 PM - Response #1

Image vault, File vault, and galleries count against your allowed file space. Profile pictures and Yearbook pictures do not, and that include pictures added in profile comments.

As far as What's New, pictures there are mostly a copy of something that was added in a profile. I'm guessing that a picture added as What's New comment would be treated the same as a picture added in a profile comment, but I have not confirmed that.

Edited 10/07/14 12:01 AM
Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM - Response #2

Hi John,

Is there a difference between 'image' and 'file' vaults? How do you tell that difference, and are they both added together will it shows the % used up or available?

I thought I read that putting pictures on galleries did not count against fault space, whereas putting them on Survey pages, or the Message Forum did?

Is this info in the FAQ maybe?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM - Response #3

Nancee, I should let one of the 'experts' chime in here, since I'm going on what I've experienced and things have a way of changing.

There are effectively two 'vaults', although they do add together to consume your available file space. The first, the 'Image Vault', is accessed by the editor's Image button to upload pictures, and is also used to hold images/photos uploaded using the Gallery Creator. The second, the 'File Vault', is accessed by the editor's Link button, and holds music files, documents, pdf's spreadsheets, etc. Using either editor button (or the Gallery Creator) will show you the total amount of space used, avaliable, and percent of your total space used.

The Photo albums in profiles were once called 'photo galleries', which are quite different from groups of photos created using the Gallery Creator. Photos in member's profile photo albums do not count against your file space, and from what I've seen, neither did photo's added in profile comments. Photos added in the Message Forum did show up in the image vault though, and would be counted against your available file space.

I've never put a photo on a Survey Page, but I'd guess that it's handled like a photo added in the Message Forum.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM - Response #4

Any photos uploaded to the home page, In Memory, Custom Pages, Survey pages, announcements, or forums or Gallery Creator will count against your File Vault storage. Any MP3 uploaded to your Playlist Generator will be uploaded to the File Vault (located on the LINK icon) and will count against your File Vault storage. Any PDF, DOC, or other file that is linked to and stored on your website will also be stored in the File Vault and will count against your File Vault storage.

In general, if you go to IMAGE, File Vault, anything you see there is counting against your total File Vault storage. If you also do LINK, File Vault and see any documents there, they are also counting against your File Vault storage space. You can also see gallery images in a directory structure at the top of the IMAGE File Vault. These are there as a reminder that the Photo Gallery also use File Vault space.

Images uploaded by classmates to their profiles DO NOT count against the File Vault storage.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM - Response #5

Thanks for the help John, and for the clarification, Kyle!

We have many who are asking if they can put pictures on the site from their smart phones:

"I love being able to download pictures and info from my phone. Hopefully this website will allow easy access from mobile devices"

What can I tell them about that, and if so, are there any special instructions or any special pages that do or do not allow this function?

Thanks for always offering help!! N

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM - Response #6

We do not have a "mobile" specific format for the sites. However most mobile devices can still handle the sites via pinch zoom to expand and move around.

Monday, October 3, 2016 at 12:19 PM - Response #7

Has there been any change to which uploaded images count against our file vault storage capacity?

Are those uploaded to the User Forums counted?

I ask because I've just looked at my File Vault and I can see some photos that were uploaded to the User Forums appearing there but I know there are many more on the User Forums that are not.

Do images uploaded to the What's New page count?

Edited 10/03/16 2:03 PM
Monday, October 3, 2016 at 1:02 PM - Response #8

No change. User Forums do count. Only images that are stored in the Member Profiles do not count. All other files do.

Monday, October 3, 2016 at 2:03 PM - Response #9

Thanks, Scott.

Any idea why I can see some of the User Forums photos in my File Vault but not all of them?

For instance, yesterday I loaded a photo on behalf of a member who was having trouble getting it to load. I appears in the File Vault but all other photos under the same Topic do not appear. This particular Topic is 'The History of Stefan's Paeony from 2010 Onwards' in the Odds & Ends Forum.

This is also the case with other photos in Topics in the User Forums. Some show in the File Vault and some don't.

Some of the images in my File Vault are also not visible until I right click on them and choose 'View'. Why?

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM - Response #10

The only think I can think of is that maybe some have been added by adding a link to an outside host. I really don't know. As for not seeing the image until you click, it appears that the particular file vault being accessed from the User Forums is the old one and not the one that the programmer updated a few months ago. I will need to ask him why.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.