ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Problem with Editing Pages

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/02/09 10:07 AM Views: 2083 Replies: 9
Friday, October 2, 2009 at 10:07 AM

When I go to edit a page, my text does not show up. If I click on source code, I can see my text there among the codes, but when I click off the source code, nothing is there. It doesn't change ever. I did send an email regarding this and the response was: "Our system updates the page the moment you click save. This must be a memory caching issue on your browser. Some browsers (the newer firefox and Internet Explorer versions) have setting that to cache pages and not update them for x number of days or at all. If you check those settings on your browser and make sure that it is set to load new each time you visit the site it should always show you the most current copy of the page."

I am running Internet Explorer 8 and can't find anything about caching to check or uncheck. Please help?

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM - Response #1

It's possible it's a caching issue, but a simple click on the reload button on your browser should cause the new text to load. Please give me a specific page to go in and look at, and a specific word or phrase that is in your source code but not appearing on your site. Rather than a caching issue you more likely have a code issue, such as setting in your code "display: no" or something like that that's causing the text not to appear. Give me an example and I'll check it out.

In answer on how to turn off page caching in Internet Explorer 8:

1) Click the Tools menu
2) Click Internet Options
3) Click the "Settings" button in the "Browsing History" area.
4) Set the radio button to "Every time I visit the web page"

This will ensure you're always pulling all pages fresh from the web and never viewing old pages loading from your own computer.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM - Response #2

If you go to my home page, the text will show up there. But if you go to Edit the Home Page, you will see no text listed there only the boxes for the flash player, my pictures, etc. but no text is there. Then click on the source code button and you can find my text among the codes.

I did check the box about refreshing from internet explorer 8. It doesn't seem to make any difference. This has been going on for some time and it is really difficult for me to edit anything.

Thanks for the help!

Lynne

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM - Response #3

Lynne Eaton wrote:

If you go to my home page, the text will show up there. But if you go to Edit the Home Page, you will see no text listed there only the boxes for the flash player, my pictures, etc. but no text is there. Then click on the source code button and you can find my text among the codes.

I did check the box about refreshing from internet explorer 8. It doesn't seem to make any difference. This has been going on for some time and it is really difficult for me to edit anything.

Thanks for the help!

Lynne

All Fixed Lynne,

You seemed to have had a start then a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be embedded, then the end

So I just moved the up to where I thought it should be and your invisible text started showing up.

Kyle

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 6:50 PM - Response #4

Sorry, it is not fixed . . . Yikes! I am talking about going into Edit Site Pages, then Edit Home Page, scroll down to the "Your Content" box - all that is showing up is the picture boxes, and "flash". I Click on the Source button and can see the text that is among the codes. Then click back on the Source Button to return to the "Your Content" box and see no text.

Lynne

Edited 10/02/09 7:08 PM
Friday, October 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM - Response #5

I am soooo sorry, but when I go to Edit Pages, then Edit home page and scroll down, I see no text in the area where I do see the boxes from my pictures, and the banners that I have. Once again, when I click on the Source Button to "see" the codes, etc. everything is there. When I click on the Source Button again to switch back, nothing shows up again. Now what?

Sorry to be such a problem.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM - Response #6

Hi Lynne,

I looked at your Edit Site Pages/Home Page/ Content in both Internet Explorer and FireFox. I looked at both the SOURCE and the non-SOURCE views. I didn't see any problems.

Why don't you try a different browser to see if it works. If it does, it might be a cache problem with the current browser you are using.

Earlier today, I really did fix it. When I look at your Page Backups of the "Friday, October 2, 2009 @ 5:08:49 PM " version, I can see the problem. When I look at CURRENT VERSION, I don't see the problem.

PS - I only see the problem in Internet Explorer. Also, looking at Page Backups, this problem started with the
Sunday, August 9, 2009 @ 12:30:34 PM (HAS PROBLEM)
Sunday, August 9, 2009 @ 11:25:18 AM (Doesn't HAVE PROBLEM)

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 8:47 AM - Response #7

It was working just fine until around that time. It leads me to believe that it happened with something I did that day during editing. Maybe I should start over with that page? Or go to the Aug. 9 when it was working at least?

If I do that, will the edits that I made to Classmates themselves change?

Lynne

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 8:52 AM - Response #8

Lynne Eaton wrote:

It was working just fine until around that time. It leads me to believe that it happened with something I did that day during editing. Maybe I should start over with that page? Or go to the Aug. 9 when it was working at least?

If I do that, will the edits that I made to Classmates themselves change?

Lynne

No, the Page Backup feature only works with the current page you are editing. If you restore a previous backup because you have messed up the current page, then only the page you are working on is modified.

All of your classmate changes will not be touched.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM - Response #9

It is fixed! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hate to admit this but . . . dahhhhh . . . . I think I just didn't scroll down on the Your Comments box.
Oh well, what can I say . . . I am old! Thanks for doing such a great job of support. . . . it couldn't be better! Lynne

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.