ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Collaboration Tools

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/11/12 05:45 PM Views: 1343 Replies: 7
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM

We've got a reunion coming up and the committee is spread across many time zones and miles. Wondering what folks have used for collaboration and discussion tools, besides emailing to 10-15 folks and then forgetting to reply to ALL etc. Google Docs is fine for me, but for some of the folks w/o gmail ID and not on their computer most of the time, as we tend to be...it may be daunting. I've told them to get a gmail ID for only this need, if they want - price is right. But trying to tell them what to do differs quite a bit. I'm more than glad to walk them thru getting on to google docs, but google doesn't make it easy - after you accept the invite, it is not intuitive where to proceed to, until you are actually able to post messages. I found a great free tool http://screenr.com to create short video tutorials up to 5 minutes showing screen and audio - now THAT is extremely intuitive. Any thoughts out there for collaboration tools?

Edited 01/11/12 5:46 PM
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM - Response #1

You can get a free conference call number at www.freeconferencecall.com. It works great. Each person pays for his own phone charges. Wouldn't be good if there is a big noisy group together and just a few calling in though. But it is an option.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 6:29 PM - Response #2

You can also use https://www.yugma.com and video conference with 2 others for free. Small charge for more. This allows others to see your desktop or you can turn it over to others and see theirs. It is especially helpful when you want to share something on the website. You can do Web Conferencing, Online Meetings, Desktop Sharing & Collaboration, can use in Windows, Mac & Linux. You can also take control of their desktop like Tech Support People do if needed. Price is reasonable and less that WebEx if you decide to web conference.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM - Response #3

Thanks...We've used free conference call before and will again. But for the kickoff, I have skype and I can conference up to 10 or 20 folks using skype at one time, and then it's free for them, as I subscribe to their annual plan which allows unlimited calling to any phone in the US or canada for about $3-$4 a month. Don't what will happen now that MS has purchased Skype - but it works great. And we did free con calls on weekends, with most using cell phones, so their calls were free too - but with Skype, i can call a landline or cell phone and the clarity is often better, if it doesn't drop - and it has really improved. Can do some video too

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM - Response #4

Thanks for the info on Yugma. As I said a minute ago, I've used SKYPE for conferencing audio a/o video - all basically free and I use LogMeIn - the free version for remote control - the free version is a bit limited, but works fine for my needs; can't transfer files on free version, but then there is dropbox or others to transfer large files and share. Thanks

Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM - Response #5

We were kind of lucky because our committee head uses "Go to Meeting" in his business so we used that. It worked great. There is a charge for it but it's kind of pricey -- $49/month. Their web site is www.gotomeeting.com.
Jim

Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM - Response #6

Thanks for all the suggestions...but I'm actually looking for a document collaboration system - like Google Docs. Example. We have a letter we want to send out to all classmates, or publish the agenda or anything else - I start it and look for commentary from the others - not wanting to email a copy and then have one person make suggestions, and then another etc. Thoughts besides Google Docs?

PS - I notice on many of these forums that the classes are all (a great many) from the 60's. Is it that those younger don't need the forums, don't use CC or don't have reunions? Curious - what percent of CC sites from the 60's or before - is it our nostalgia that is really beginning to focus and many of us are in or near retirement and actually have the time?? Thoughts?

Edited 01/12/12 3:26 PM
Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM - Response #7

You sound like a thinker.
Read comments on the home page of Wheatley63.com for my first approximation to an answer to your broader question.

Re collaboration: Dropbox.com is good for photo and doc sharing in a small group. But like all these "free" tools, the log in requirements are laborious. Microsoft Skydrive and Amazon Cloud Drive also are good and slightly different.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.