ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Stuck login

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/27/10 02:20 PM Views: 4311 Replies: 22
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I have one person who appears to be logged in at all times. I am pretty sure he is not. It looks like he has been logged in for 4-5 days as he is there whenever I log in. The Stats show his last log-ins at 18:08 yesterday. I have just asked him via email to log on and back off to see if that helps. By the way I have noticed him there on both of my computers using 2 different browsers. One of our other administrators also sees him as logged in. Curiously the other administraators does not..?"?
Anybody else have this come up?
Brad .. If you are looking the classmates name is ART WARREN.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM - Response #1

If one uses a tabbed browser, with several sites open at one time (as I do) and if one leaves their PC on 24/7 (I don't), it's possible that one of their browser windows is actually on your site all the time. Perhaps he/she has a work and home PC and ONE of them is on all the time.

I've seen it happen on occasion.

Someone else may have a different (more technical) answer of why this happens.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM - Response #2

That is possible and after talking to him it is even likely.
HOWEVER The new and stranger twist is...

I just had a fellow administrator (Steve) log in at his work. He does not see Art logged in.
AND ... UNLESS I am LOGGED OUT... I do not see Steve as logged in. While I am logged out I see Steve but not Art. When I log in I see ONLY Art.. and not Steve.

It Makes No sense at all.

Is it just me?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM - Response #3

Who's on First?

All I know about Flash is it's always followed by a big bang!

This one is beyond my pay-grade.

Edited 07/27/10 5:40 PM
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM - Response #4

I put the stuck Classmate's name in to programming for review. It's not cookie based so I'm not sure what would cause this. IM uses a "listener" to determine who's online, and it's literally accurate up to the second. It's pretty cool stuff. Well, except in the case of Art Warren anyway, who seems to be stuck. Maybe our listener got tired of listening to Art and decided to ignore him.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:48 PM - Response #5

Brad-
Thanks for looking. Did you read my post from above?

"I just had a fellow administrator (Steve) log in at his work. He does not see Art logged in.
AND ... UNLESS I am LOGGED OUT... I do not see Steve as logged in. While I am logged out I see Steve but not Art. When I log in I see ONLY Art.. and not Steve.

It Makes No sense at all.

I am more confused the more I look at it.

Thank You for your help.. again/

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 12:20 AM - Response #6

Not sure what happened there. But it is magically all better. Thanks to all.('Razz');

Edited 07/28/10 12:21 AM
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 1:48 AM - Response #7

Rick Barthel wrote:

Not sure what happened there. But it is magically all better. Thanks to all.('Razz');

Why, you're welcome! [like I had anything to do with the 'cure'] Wink

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 10:20 AM - Response #8

Smile

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM - Response #9

BRAD-
It's BACK---
Don't know how it got fixed before but, for the past several days whenever I login I see "Steve Winters" is also logged in. I don't think it is really true. As you can see we had the problem back in JULY.

Further.... for some reason for the past several weeks when I log -in I am not routed to the Home Page. I am typically taken to some administrative page that I was working on before. Even if I had logged out previously from the home page.

Macintosh based and on Safari... if that means anything.

Thanks RICK

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM - Response #10

Does this happen after clearing your browser cache?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 7:12 PM - Response #11

Yes and NO

If I clear the cache it has no effect on the STUCK Person.
If I reset the Safari browser (clear out almost everything) the first time after that I log in, I will be at the HOME PAGE. However the next time I log in I will not be directed to the home page, but just some page I was on before. Just now it was the message center page.
The RESET of Safari has no effect on the STUCK PERSON.

Rick

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM - Response #12

Have you upgraded to the latest Safari browser that was released roughly 10 days ago? The last one had some big time bugs and Apple quickly updated. Curious, if you load your site in Firefox for Mac, are you seeing the stuck person in Instant Messaging? If you are that would really concern me. If you're not it's definitely Safari holding onto it.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM - Response #13

Safari is updated to the latest Version 5.0.2 (6533.18.5) both at home and at work. This problem happens on both.
Firefox seems to route to the home page on log-in. Safari not so.

Steve Winters appears logged in at all times with either browser on either computer. This is also what happened in July with ART WARREN. you were able to fix that.

The not routing to home page on login is also very annoying but maybe just a Safari issue?

Rick-

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 11:38 PM - Response #14

I'm unclear just where you're going after logging in. I don't see how you could be going any place other than the home page. Can you press the Print Screen key while you're on that page and send me an image? I want to see what you're looking at.

I'll ask Programming about the stuck issue.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM - Response #15
in.tif

after log-in I see login successful "please wait" then I go elsewhere. NOT ALWAYS THE SAME PLACE. Lately it has been the message area (see attached capture). AS THOUGH I was logging on via an email sent to me with a message. I assure you that is not what I am doing.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM - Response #16

All right, unfortunately you have some weird caching issue, virus, spyware or something else going on. I see your attachment but what I was hoping to see was something out of the ordinary, i.e. something that would give me any clue as to what your computer is doing. I can assure you what you are describing is not possible. The system cannot direct people to different parts of the system after login. It ONLY directs you to the home page. Now I realize full well what you are describing is absolutely happening, and I have no doubt after logging in you are getting sent to different areas. All I can really do here is take a wild guess as to how this could even be possible:

1) You at some point clicked a link to a message in the Message Center but you weren't logged in
2) You logged in and a cookie was set on your computer, directing you to the Message Center after successful login
3) Somehow that cookie got "stuck" in your system. Possibly that and additional Cookies?
4) Now when you log in old cookies are directing you to places you're not supposed to go

Something browser-specific like the above must be happening. I'm going to make two assumptions, 1 you cannot duplicate this in any other web browser, and 2 you cannot duplicate this in the same web browser on any other computer. My best advice for you at this point is completely uninstall Safari on your Mac, reinstall it, and let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM - Response #17

I am so sorry.... it was browser specific. I always use the "Top Sites" feature in Safari, and the window I was using was sending me elsewhere. It was happening on BOTH of my MACS by coincidence.

The stuck log-in person is still there however.

Rick

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 10:11 AM - Response #18

Stuck person gone now?

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM - Response #19

No. He is still there. I will point out that he is not there until after I login, where as a person who is actually logged in will appear even if I am not logged in.

He is there on both Firefox and Safari browsers even after I have emptied cache and cookies.

Rick

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM - Response #20

Gone now?

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM - Response #21

Well actually at present on this computer no, He is still showing. He Does not show as logged in until I log in.
I can try on another computer.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM - Response #22

Right, your IM doesn't show up at all until you're logged in. That's working correctly. We'll get to the bottom of the Steven Winters mystery.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.