ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Class Connection Video

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 04/08/15 09:06 PM Views: 3771 Replies: 21
Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM

As I suspected, there has been only a handful of my school using the Class Connection/Facebook App. Not your fault just not something 99% our members need. The problem has been that those who have tried to use it have done so by clicking the link under Member Functions on our website. Doing so takes them to the Class Connection page on Facebook where they are confronted by the Class Connection 'See How It Works' video. This confuses them as they think they have to 'Enter A School Name' and click 'Connect With Facebook' before they can see our website page, not realising (despite my telling them) that they have to Log In to Facebook first.

My question is does the video have to remain there or can it be removed?

Reply
Friday, April 10, 2015 at 2:25 PM - Response #1

The video of course just explains the app. Can you tell me why you're finding that problematic?

Yes, it's easier if they're already logged into Facebook, because then we can auto merge people without them ever seeing this screen. Even if they're not logged in though, they'd just select their school and year and click the Login with Facebook button. They still wind up at the same place either way.


Reply
Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM - Response #2

This is confusing me also, Brad.

As Administrator and someone who has a Facebook account, I've already used the Class Connection App. Yet, today, I've Logged In to my website and clicked the Class Connection link under Member Functions and have been taken to the Class Connection screen on Facebook where I'm presented with the Class Connection video and the box asking me to 'Enter School Name'.

I know that as I already have a Facebook account I can Log straight into Facebook at this point and bypass the business of entering a school name but for the purpose of this exercise I enter my school name and click on the name when it comes up. Another box then asks for 'School Year'. Can you please confirm that, as a single year site, my members don't need to enter anything in this box.

This is where the confusion lies because my website members (some with and some without a Facebook account)arrive at the Class Connection video screen and immediately think they have to 'Enter School Name' because they don't know that as Facebook account holders they can Log In to Facebook as they always do and arrive at the Class Connection version of the school website.

Something is needed onscreen at this point to make it clear what they need to do if they don't have a Facebook account and what they are able to do if they already have one.

One other thing I'm not sure about as Administrator is what the significance of the Class Creator icon is in the APP column against a Classmate's name when I go into Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates. I understand the Class Connection icon being there for those Classmates who have registered for Class Connection but not why the Class Creator icon is there.

Reply
Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 11:14 AM - Response #3

Apologies for going on about this, Brad but I just can't seem to get my head around what's required. Perhaps I'm just being a little impatient but things don't seem to be happening as I expected them to.

To test the Class Connection set up I created a new identity on my website and the same identity on Facebook, using the same name and same email address. I used the name Mark Sloane.

Once I'd validated the new member on my website I logged in as Mark Sloane and clicked the Class Connection link under Member Functions. That's when the problems started.

I found my school in the list and entered it under 'Enter School Name'. I then clicked on 'Connect with Facebook'. I then entered 'Mark Sloane's' Facebook details and even though I was told onscreen that I was 'Proceeding to class....', I wasn't. I was again presented with the screen that asks me to 'Enter School Name'. The same thing happens every time I repeat the procedure.

Is it me or is there a long delay before details of a member's Facebook account are transmitted to my website? I logged into my website as Administrator and there was no Class Connection icon against 'Mark Sloane's name in the APP column when I go into Manage Classmates. There's also no Class Connection link showing under APPS on 'Mark Sloane's' Facebook Home page.

Help! Please!

Reply
Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 11:46 PM - Response #4

Hi, I became the administrator of our website a little over 2 months ago because the person who was doing it for the past several years put me down as the administrator. I am not a computer whiz and I'm not clueless. I have been able to make many changes to our site, changed the home page, created events, linked paypal to the site, changed the style, changes the background photo, created a survey...you get the idea, lots of changes. I did all of this without any help the site is very intuitive and very easy to figure out. The Class Connection/Facebook App ( App seems like something that should be on your phone) part is not easy does not make a bit of sense to me ....how do you set it up? What does it do for me? Does it find classmates? Does it make it easier for classmates to find our website? I've watched the videos many times still doesn't make any sense. Yes I understand I can make a change on the site and it will show up somewhere on Facebook and I can make a change while on Facebook and the website changes too.....but I don't see how that is helpful. I've had three other classmates (administrators) look at it as well they can't figure out how it works. So I gave up and asked my computer savey son-in-law to help me...trust me he's the real deal. I added him to the class as a member and administrator. He could not figure it out either...stuck on the same page going in a circle What's your school name and what year. I have zero complaints about the Class Creator website and can't even think of something I would want or need to change. The Class Connection piece on the other hand needs some TLC.

Reply
Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:19 AM - Response #5

I have to agree with you, Rod.

Originally, I saw no real benefit to the Facebook app other than to existing Facebook users who might want to flip between Facebook and my website. That's the way it remains, but if we're going to have the App it has to work as it should or it just makes me, the Administrator, look ridiculous. Only a handful of my Classmates have been able to figure it out and I suspect it's more by luck than judgement. I know of at least two who lost interest.

Some reaction would be nice, guys.

Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:28 PM - Response #6

Mark, I'm not really sure what you're wanting us to do. When people go to the app one of two things is going to happen:

1) They are not logged into Facebook. If this is the case, they are going to get the login screen. The app would have no way to know somebody belongs to a Facebook app already if they aren't logged into Facebook at all. Most people just stay logged into Facebook at all times so this really isn't an issue. For people who actually bother logging out of Facebook, then they are going to see the login screen because we can't show them anything else. Thus they would select their school and year and then Facebook will ask them to log in before they can proceed. This is the only thing we can do here.

2) They are already logged into Facebook. If they have already joined the app, they'll just go right into the app. If they have not joined the app then they will be asked to accept the app permissions and join.

To use any Facebook app you have to be logged into Facebook. The user is either logged into Facebook, or they need to log into Facebook, and then they can use the app. I'm really not sure what the issue is here.

Mark Foulsham wrote:

This is confusing me also, Brad.

As Administrator and someone who has a Facebook account, I've already used the Class Connection App. Yet, today, I've Logged In to my website and clicked the Class Connection link under Member Functions and have been taken to the Class Connection screen on Facebook where I'm presented with the Class Connection video and the box asking me to 'Enter School Name'.

I know that as I already have a Facebook account I can Log straight into Facebook at this point and bypass the business of entering a school name but for the purpose of this exercise I enter my school name and click on the name when it comes up. Another box then asks for 'School Year'. Can you please confirm that, as a single year site, my members don't need to enter anything in this box.

This is where the confusion lies because my website members (some with and some without a Facebook account)arrive at the Class Connection video screen and immediately think they have to 'Enter School Name' because they don't know that as Facebook account holders they can Log In to Facebook as they always do and arrive at the Class Connection version of the school website.

Something is needed onscreen at this point to make it clear what they need to do if they don't have a Facebook account and what they are able to do if they already have one.

One other thing I'm not sure about as Administrator is what the significance of the Class Creator icon is in the APP column against a Classmate's name when I go into Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates. I understand the Class Connection icon being there for those Classmates who have registered for Class Connection but not why the Class Creator icon is there.


Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM - Response #7

If you're already logged into Facebook and you click the Class Connection link under Member Functions, the system circumvents the requirement to select the school and class year entirely. If you're not logged in, then again, you're just going to wind up at the join screen, where you'd have to select your school name and class year.

Once you do that though, you should go into the app. You shouldn't be returned to the same join screen. If that's happening to you it sounds like you have some sort of browser cache issue happening. i.e. your computer is reloading the join screen. This wouldn't normally happen to people. Try clearing your cache and try it again.

Mark Foulsham wrote:

Apologies for going on about this, Brad but I just can't seem to get my head around what's required. Perhaps I'm just being a little impatient but things don't seem to be happening as I expected them to.

To test the Class Connection set up I created a new identity on my website and the same identity on Facebook, using the same name and same email address. I used the name Mark Sloane.

Once I'd validated the new member on my website I logged in as Mark Sloane and clicked the Class Connection link under Member Functions. That's when the problems started.

I found my school in the list and entered it under 'Enter School Name'. I then clicked on 'Connect with Facebook'. I then entered 'Mark Sloane's' Facebook details and even though I was told onscreen that I was 'Proceeding to class....', I wasn't. I was again presented with the screen that asks me to 'Enter School Name'. The same thing happens every time I repeat the procedure.

Is it me or is there a long delay before details of a member's Facebook account are transmitted to my website? I logged into my website as Administrator and there was no Class Connection icon against 'Mark Sloane's name in the APP column when I go into Manage Classmates. There's also no Class Connection link showing under APPS on 'Mark Sloane's' Facebook Home page.

Help! Please!


Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM - Response #8

Ok, I think you too are just saying you were refreshing to the join screen rather than entering the app. I'll have to check if something was going on. Are you still refreshing to the join screen now? Do you ever actually enter the app? What browser and browser version # are you using?

The app is just another place for people to participate with the class. Many people live in a Facebook world. They just like staying in that environment. Notifications there are instant and a nice benefit. It really just depends on what the user wants. If people want to stay in their Facebook world and participate with the class from there, they can easily do that via the Class Connection app.

Rod Rahrle wrote:

Hi, I became the administrator of our website a little over 2 months ago because the person who was doing it for the past several years put me down as the administrator. I am not a computer whiz and I'm not clueless. I have been able to make many changes to our site, changed the home page, created events, linked paypal to the site, changed the style, changes the background photo, created a survey...you get the idea, lots of changes. I did all of this without any help the site is very intuitive and very easy to figure out. The Class Connection/Facebook App ( App seems like something that should be on your phone) part is not easy does not make a bit of sense to me ....how do you set it up? What does it do for me? Does it find classmates? Does it make it easier for classmates to find our website? I've watched the videos many times still doesn't make any sense. Yes I understand I can make a change on the site and it will show up somewhere on Facebook and I can make a change while on Facebook and the website changes too.....but I don't see how that is helpful. I've had three other classmates (administrators) look at it as well they can't figure out how it works. So I gave up and asked my computer savey son-in-law to help me...trust me he's the real deal. I added him to the class as a member and administrator. He could not figure it out either...stuck on the same page going in a circle What's your school name and what year. I have zero complaints about the Class Creator website and can't even think of something I would want or need to change. The Class Connection piece on the other hand needs some TLC.


Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM - Response #9

Both icons are necessary. What is somebody joins your class from ONLY Class Connection. Then you would see the Class Connection icon only. It's good to know what platform the user is using in case they ask you any questions.

Brad Switzer wrote:

One other thing I'm not sure about as Administrator is what the significance of the Class Creator icon is in the APP column against a Classmate's name when I go into Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates. I understand the Class Connection icon being there for those Classmates who have registered for Class Connection but not why the Class Creator icon is there.

[/quote]


Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:48 PM - Response #10

I think you're having some sort of cache or refresh issue, and this is not indicative of most people's experience. There is nothing hard about using the app. In fact it's just the same data as your web site. All functions do the same things...

The only major difference is the links, rather than running down the left, are in the menu flyup under the user's master photo. The app didn't have room for a links panel so we put them there. Once people understand how to navigate everything functions just like your web site does. It's literally the exact same stuff.

FYI, in case people don't actually spot their links, when you first join we put a big statement telling people exactly where their links are (i.e. that they need to click the flyup under their master photo).

Mark Foulsham wrote:

I have to agree with you, Rod.

Originally, I saw no real benefit to the Facebook app other than to existing Facebook users who might want to flip between Facebook and my website. That's the way it remains, but if we're going to have the App it has to work as it should or it just makes me, the Administrator, look ridiculous. Only a handful of my Classmates have been able to figure it out and I suspect it's more by luck than judgement. I know of at least two who lost interest.

Some reaction would be nice, guys.


Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM - Response #11

By the way there are classes now using the app exclusively, and don't even have a web site at all.

Many Admins who have a site don't even turn on the app at all. Everyone is just comfortable with the regular web site already.

Classes in general fall into three categories, and it's often age related:

1) They just want to use the private web site they're already used to. Nothing wrong with that! These classes are usually older. Many of these Admins don't turn on app at all.

2) Some classmates want to use the private site, yet some prefer to just connect to the class through Facebook. These classes are often middle aged, say, 80s decade. You're going to get a mix of both quite often.

3) Classmates would rather just connect through Facebook. Admin might build the site on Facebook ONLY using the app. These classes are often younger (20 and 30 somethings). Facebook is their world.

These are just generalities. There are exceptions. There is no right or wrong. With the app we're just accommodating all needs. It may not be right for you and your classmates. Or allowing both may be right. Or doing this through Facebook only may be right. Each admin can make the best decision for his or her own classmates.


Reply
Edited 04/14/15 6:06 PM
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 7:23 PM - Response #12
CC Screenshot.bmp

Brad,

Thank you for trying to address the problems but you haven't managed to solve them.

As I said, I set up a new identity, 'Mark Sloane' to test the Class Connection/Facebook setup. For the first time, ten minutes ago, I was able to Log In to Facebook using this name and to try to connect with Class Connection. As before, clicking 'Connect with Facebook' only brought me back to the same screen. This time I entered a school year. I chose 1970 at random but we are NOT a multi-year site. However, doing this let me enter the Class Connection page where I was presented with this -

"Wooooah....can it really be???

You're the very first member of your class to join Class Connection!

You have the power to bring the rest of your class together today in record time. In fact it's super simple.

Class Connection has united millions of classmates in a unique and engaging world like nowhere else. Be the one who brings your class together into a permanent class home. It's like having a reunion every day!

Access the Easy Invite Tool now to find and invite your classmates. This powerful feature will bring most of your classmates together in just a few days. It's free to join and your classmates will thank you.

You'll have to see it to believe it so give it a whirl now. Go to the Easy Invite Tool and follow the directions above each section, then sit back and relax and watch as your classmates gather. It's fun and you'll be glad you did.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip down memory lane.

Easy Invite Tool"

What is that all about?!

I am NOT the 'very first member of my class to join Class Connection!' Presumably, the App has said that because I am the first to join under the 1970 year. When I look at the top of the page it says 'Sloane Grammar Class of 1970' and the info in the right hand column tells me (the Sloane Grammar School Adminsitrator)that there is "currently no Administrator for the Sloane Grammar Class of 1970". As I said, we are NOT a multi-year site and DO NOT have a Class of 1970, but I AM the Administrator for my website.

The APP column alongside the name 'Mark Sloane' on my Edit Members page still doesn't show that 'Mark Sloane' has joined Class Connection.

Please see the Screenshot above of what I'm seeing.

Reply
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM - Response #13

Oh! Oh oh oh! I see the problem Mark.

What this boils down to is you're really using Class Creator as a non conforming use. You're running a multi year site on a single year platform. I'm not sure I can even think of another Admin here doing this honestly.

In Class Creator, you're either a single year site, or you're a multi year site. You built your site in the year slot 1963. So if you want to join the app and be connected to your actual web site, then it's imperative you choose the year 1963 that you built it under -- not the 1970 year that you selected. That's how you wound up joining an empty class.

Here's how to fix the problem:

1) Log into Facebook and click Settings, Apps, find Class Connection, and delete it.
2) Now join the app again, this time using the year 1963. You'll now be properly connected to your web site via Facebook.

Yes, I know you're going to tell me that this is going to be confusing for your classmates, and you're of course correct. All of them will have to do one of two things:

1) Log into Facebook first, then click the Class Connection link under Member Functions. If they do this they will automatically join your class without ever seeing the Class Connection join screen; or,

2) Select your school from the dropdown, and specifically select the year 1963 that you built your site under.

If either of these things is going to be too difficult for your classmates, then I honestly have to suggest you deactivate the app. Unless your classmates truly understand your setup I fear many of them are going to join empty years on Facebook precisely as you just did.

This isn't going to be much consolation for you personally, but it really doesn't work like this for anybody else I know of. Can you remind me whey you're running a multi year site on the single year platform, vs. converting your site to a true multi year site?


Reply
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM - Response #14

Brad,

I'm going to do what you say is required by setting up another false identity and seeing what happens.

For the life of me I can't recall why I am running a multi year site on a single year platform but it was a valid reason when I did so back in 2008 and as far as I recall no one at CC asked why back then or has done since. It may have been something to do with the fact that the school actually closed in 1970, most of it's members are therefore close to or actually in their dotage and many are unable to recall when they joined the school. Because my site is in a sense a retrospective site only a handful of what we called 'School Lists' (they list all pupils at the start of a particular term) exist to confirm what year a member joined the school so it was easier for me to start the site in the manner I did. When I first started one of the compulsory questions I asked on the Profiles was "Which years were you at Sloane?" With hindsight, perhaps I should just have asked "Which year did you start Sloane?" but back then I didn't know it would come to this.Laughing

If I do convert to a true multi-year site, and it will take a me while to allocate a start year to all members if I do so, are members using the Class Connection App still able to interact with each other irrespective of which year they have entered under?

Reply
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 4:31 PM - Response #15

The short answer is yes, they are.

The long answer is if a multi year site exists under a school, and somebody selects that school, they will be shown the multi year site as an option to join, AND they would still be able to select single years. You'd just need to tell people to make sure they join your multi year site. Or again, this procedure works even better:

1) Log into Facebook
2) Click the Class Connection link under Member Functions

This procedure ENSURES people immediately join the correct class on the app. By doing this they bypass the requirement to select the school name and also select the multi year site they want to join. Both methods work fine...this one is just more foolproof.


Reply
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:01 AM - Response #16

Brad,

I've decided to stick with the set up of my website as it is. I've also sent out instructions to all members, whether Facebook account holders or not, on how to access the Class Connection version using 1963 as their joining year.

Whether members choose to use it or not will be entirely up to them. I doubt that many will, for reasons already given, but it's available if they want to.

I believe the handful that have already joined are die-hard Facebook users anyway and now, if they want to break the habit occasionally they'll at least be able to Log In to the website seamlessly. We may never wean them off the drug that is Facebook completely but they might now be able to go Cold Turkey until they just have to get back on there again.

Thanks again for your help

Reply
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 12:52 PM - Response #17

Welcome Mark.


Reply
Monday, October 10, 2016 at 6:48 PM - Response #18

Sorry to be addressing this issue so late, but in an effort to get my Facebook members to visit the website more often, I have decided to try Class Connect.
Do I understand correctly, that as an Administrator, I go into my personal Facebook account and set up the Class Connect app. Then, I inform my classmates (two classes), how they can also set up the Class Connect app in their personal Facebook accounts. Then, assuming, I get my part right, and they set up their apps correctly, this allows them to essentially toggle back and forth between Facebook and the website, as long as they are logged into one or the other?
Also, is there a downside that I might have missed?

Reply
Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 1:51 PM - Response #19

Since you are part of 2 classes, the process can be a little confusing as you will need to add a second class once you are set up with the first. To get started I suggest the following. 1. Make sure your email address is the same for both FB as well as your CC site. 2. Log in at your FB site first and then open a new window. Then log in at your site and click on the Class Connection link under your Member Functions. Do the process in this order seems to help the connection. When you land back on FB, the system should automatically locate your name and then you can join. This will automatically add the FB Class Connection app to your FB. To locate the app in the future from FB, you will need to click on Apps on the left site of your FB screen.


Reply
Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:43 PM - Response #20

Thank you very much for the clarification. Before receiving your reply, I noticed the words Class Connection in a box on the right hand side of my Home Page, and I had read enough of the admin comments to know that I needed to be logged into Facebook to make this all work, so I logged in there, then went back to the website, and clicked on the Class Connection link. I believe that I am set up correctly, but let me tell you what I am looking at and see if you agree.
So now, I can log onto the website, click on Class Connection, which is now under Member Functions, and it takes me onto my Facebook account. When I want to return to the website, I click on Class Connection under Apps on the left hand side of my Facebook Page. Is that the way it is supposed to work?

Also, probably because both classes are on the one marshallmavs website it does not seem that I need to join both classes separately.

Reply
Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM - Response #21

All sounds correct and it sounds like you are off and running now. Thanks.


Reply
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.