ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Missing Class Photo

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/13/09 01:52 PM Views: 1604 Replies: 14
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Is there a way to replace the missing class photo image with another image? Perhaps the mascot image?
THANX

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM - Response #1

Welcome John.

What missing class photo are you referring to?

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM - Response #2

That is a good quesion. I would love to have a default if there is not senior photo to add the site logo or perhaps a messsage "Photo not availble" or a message asking to have a photo submitted. I realize this may cause an issue for people who don't use this feature. Would be nice ot have to option of having a default for senior photos. I have uploaded 88 years of annual photos and am tire

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM - Response #3

If you have not added any Yearbook Photos at all, the whole "View Yearbook Photos" toggle doesn't even display. The moment you add even 1 that toggle begins displaying. When you click on the checkbox to show Yearbook Photos we already have a "no photo" image that loads that is consistent with the shape and size of the other Yearbook Photos on the page. It's good to keep it this way because it keeps the layout nicely formatted.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM - Response #4

If I create an image the same size as the yearbook photo, the system should adjust the size the same as it does the yearbook photo.
Just think it would look better to have the option to provide an image WITH the admonition that the supplied "no image" image should be the same size as the yearbook photo.
It would be a nice change to the Guest Members as well.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM - Response #5

Where in the system would you like to see the abilty for the default "no photo" option to be replaced by your own no photo image? I.E. If you were to go looking for such a feature right now, where would you look for it first?

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 3:46 PM - Response #6

Add an option on the class members page to add a "no image available" image along with the note to make the image the same size as the yearbook photos.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM - Response #7

This is more a comment but, I do have a question at the end.

I replaced mine with a red bird icon. Not one of the mascot ones but, something I found that looked more formal.

Right now, we have about 3 different sizes going on but, are working on it.

We had more than one person cropping and pasting student pictures up. I took my constraints off of the iphoto image I used but, one of the others had a specific size. It didn't look too bad but, we are now going back through and trying to fix those problems.

But, I got a lot of comments of how well they liked the birds without making it look cartoonish on the year book.

That Icon however was pretty small and is still smaller than the other pictures. I think it re-sized as it did because it would pixelate if any larger.

We just want to make sure that we have something on everyone that is coming to the reunion's name badge and will find a better size red bird later.

We have also, have found some of the missing students' undergraduate pictures in other year books.

Or we have asked them to give us pictures of themselves around that time frame that we could either post or crop and post to fill in some of the missing pictures.

While I am here, is there something you could do to make them all a uniform size besides going in there and fixing them one by one?

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 10:22 PM - Response #8

If you were to add a feature couldn't it just say Re-Size to fit format as you are uploading? Or is there a place in most programs as you are cropping and preparing the picture for upload to say "Re-Size to fit format"?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM - Response #9

Norma,
This is the one spot that the admin actually has control over the size and format of the image. However, the sizing needs to be done prior to loading them into the system.
I found myself having to go back and regroup on photos because the yearbook did not have the senior photos all the same size. I made the mistake of using photoshop to "frame" around a photo and copy them to a photo folder. I later found that the photos in the top row and bottom row were taller than the others. And, along the edge of the page, all were almost an eighth of an inch wider!
I learned the hard way to scan the entire page and then use the select area tool with a set size. That way all copies were of the same size.
Even better, the sizes are the same for being mail merged to name tags.
HTH

Friday, August 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM - Response #10

Very good points John, good tips.

FYI, our system will resize all Yearbook Photos so the heights are consistent, and thus your formatting comes out ok. One thing that can go wrong though is if you upload an image that is shorter than our built-in resize height. If you do that, our system can't make the height consistent, and your Yearbook Photo formatting can get pretty out of whack.

Regarding the Yearbook Photo default image, I'm going to put in a Yearbook Photo Management page that will allow swapping the default image and a few other things.

Edited 08/14/09 1:12 PM
Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM - Response #11

Thanks, to John and Brad for your answers. What is the size of your default?

Does it have to come from the same photo editor?

I had 880 classmate pictures to scan and crop. Actually, 880 X's 2.

I wanted full picture for the yearbook look and Class Clubs and Awards to be available for other future projects.

(We used them for the MEMORIES page pictures for now.)

I taught other classmates how to crop and paste. Most of them brought back their cropped pictures on disc.

I knew we would have to go back at some point we'd go back and edit problems. The main point was to get every-one's picture up.

Do we need to have the same editor or just the dimensions to straighten it out? Or can we apply those dimensions to the cropped pictures and re-post them with different editors?

Thanks again!
N

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM - Response #12

Let's say we want all our photos to wind up 2" by 3".

Some of them may wind up 2.2" x 3.4" or 1.9" x 2.8". Once you've gotten them together, you can batch process them all at the same time with Photoshop. Using the batch process, you could tell Photoshop to change the "canvas" of each photo to 2" x 3". In those smaller than that, they'd be enlarged WITHOUT stretching and disfiguring the image. The larger photos would be cropped to the smaller size, again, without disfigurement.

If you've used Photoshop, it's pretty easy to follow their instructions on batch processing. Googling batch processing tutorial will get you several good tutorials as well as one on youtube.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 9:25 PM - Response #13

The deafult Yearbook Photo size is 175 pixels high, and the width will be proportional. I.E. if you upload any image larger than 175 pixels, the system will resize your image to 175 pixels high and the width will be proportional.

Yes, you can use different editors. The very best thing you can do though is crop all of your pictures to be the same size and width from the start. For instance, I'd recommend cropping and sizing each picture to 175 pixels high by any desired width from the start. This will give you the very best layout because all photos will be identical.

The biggest mistake you can make is uploading some images greater than 175 pixles high, and other images less than 175 pixels high. Our sytem will never enlarge your image -- it will only shrink it. So if you upload a Yearbook Photo less than 175 pixels high, it's going to stay at the size you uploaded it, and your layout isn't going to look very visually pleasing.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 9:28 PM - Response #14

FYI, for the moment please upload your "missing photo" image into each Classmates' Yearbook Photo slot. I did put a global missing photo replacement ability on the Task List but not as a priority item. In the meantime you can achieve the same effect by simply uploading the image to each Classmate's Yearbook Photo slot if the Classmate has no official Yearbook Photo.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.