ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Closing site down for a couple days

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/11/14 09:40 PM Views: 963 Replies: 9
Saturday, October 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Hi all,
We have had our big 50th and now the visits are really slowing down. If I want to take a few days to redo my home page with all new stuff , is it best to just make it inactive or is there another way that would be better??

Saturday, October 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM - Response #1

Yes I suggest making the home page inactive, and on your Preferences page route users to the What's New page. Once done you can reroute users back to the home page on your Preferences page.

Saturday, October 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM - Response #2

Upon seeing this thread I thought I'd try what you suggested Brad as without a home page I was curious as to how one would log on. When I try to make the Home Page inactive I'm unable to do so and get a message that it is the only page that cannot be deactivated. Did I misinterpret your suggestion?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM - Response #3

Thank you Brad, but I don't have a What's New page. My site is the old format. Does that make a difference?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 at 11:58 PM - Response #4

I would not make the home page inactive (as FC noted probably not possible). Instead, make a "temporary" home page describing what you are doing and deactivate the links you want to redo. Keep the basic system links active (profile, memory, forum, what's new, etc).

That will encourage people to come back and check later vs thinking your site is no longer there.

The best way to develop a new home page is using a local html editor since you can replicate exactly the correct width, etc.

Barring that method just use a temporary new page to create your new content and when you are ready copy and paste into the real Home Page. You might have to make a few adjustments if there are width issues, but that's fairly easy.

Edited 10/12/14 12:01 AM
Sunday, October 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM - Response #5

Thanks for your thoughts Jack. You are obviously very advanced when it comes to computers.

I use a MAC. I looked at your site. It is awesome. Can you tell me how to get the spiders on my page for halloween??

Thank you,

Tracey

Monday, October 13, 2014 at 1:08 AM - Response #6
snowcode-spiders-10-12-2014.js

You are welcome. I'm just an old coder Cool

To put spiders on your page go into the editor's Source Mode and copy/insert the attached code at the end of your home page. It was originally made to do falling snow, but can be made to do fall leaves, fireworks and so forth just by changing the image.

You should put the spider image in your own file vault and change the image link, but it's probably safe to use mine since I'm not going to delete it.

The number of spiders is easily changed. It is 15 in the attached code since your page is so long and it takes a while for them to hit the bottom Wink I'm only using 5 on my page. The sizes of the spiders can also be changed. It's a min-max range.

Monday, October 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM - Response #7

Hi Again Brad,
As I mentioned before, I am using the old format and do not have a Whats New page. As FC said, I cannot make the home page inactive. Any other "easy" ideas to accomplish my many changes to the homepage only. All other pages will remain the same.
thank you .

Monday, October 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM - Response #8

I have seen others create a page that is not active, that will eventually become their homepage content, and work on the page until you have it ready. Then simply copy and paste that content to the homepage once you are ready to launch.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM - Response #9

Thank you Jack. I will try it. Sometimes things don't work the same on a Mac, but we'll see. Appreciate your taking the time to help me.
Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.