ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Threaded Forums

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/13/09 08:46 AM Views: 1836 Replies: 10
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I know I'm slow to understand some of the new features, but this one really has me baffled. I want my classmates to start using this feature but I can't seem to figure it out myself enough to give them a precise explanation of how to use it. I need REALLY SIMPLE instructions, for myself as well as my classmates.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM - Response #1
Miami Carol City Senior_br_High School Forums - Forums.pdf

Here's an example of what I mean. I'm attaching a screen shot of the Threaded Forum page as seen by the Guest Member I created for myself so that I could see what other classmates see. How do you create a new topic/thread from that screen? I need to be able to explain this to classmates.

Thanks.

Edited 08/13/09 9:02 AM
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM - Response #2

Hi Betsy,

Only the admin can create a new forum.

In order to reply to a topic or create a new topic in the forum, you first have to view the contents of that topic. You need to click the BLUE UNDERLINED TEXT in the right-hand side of the screen, for example "Post Reunion Survey". When you click on the topic, you will be able to see the whole conversation. There are then buttons at the top and bottom labeled "POST NEW TOPIC" and "REPLY". There is also a "QUOTED REPLY" and "REPLY" button inside of each message.

Your first step would be to click on the BLUE-UNDERLINED TEXT

To see all of the topics in a forum, you would click on the underlined text in the first column, under the heading "Forum". If you click the black-underlined text of "Reunion Follow-up Survey" under the heading of "Forum", then you will see all of the topics that have been created when a classmate has clicked "POST NEW TOPIC" button. To reply to any of these topics, just click on the topic to read the conversation and then add your comments by clicking "Reply" or "Quoted Reply" similar to THIS (Admin) forum.

Edited 08/13/09 9:16 AM
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 9:15 AM - Response #3

I'm not sure I like that (that the admin is the only one who can create a new topic). I want it to be interactive, with any classmate posting a message and people responding to it, like the Message Forum is used by my classmates now.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM - Response #4

Sorry, I was wrong. The ADMIN is the only one that can create a new FORUM.

New TOPICS can be created by any user by clicking "POST NEW TOPIC" button

Edited 08/13/09 9:18 AM
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM - Response #5

Oh, that sounds better. I'm anxious to see what Brad says.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM - Response #6
easy button.jpg

Hi Betsy...

Here is what I have posted as a Topic under the Category of How to use our Forums.... Feel free to use and/or modify it -

Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask...

The Forum is a 3 tiered system consisting of:

1) Categories pre-set by the site administrator. Suggestions and/or requests for new categories are welcome (email: yourname@yoursite.com).

2) Topics. There can be an infinite number of topics under each category. To start a new topic: choose a category, then click on "New Topic". Enter a title for your topic, type your message and click "Save". (Just FYI: A "sticky" topic is one that is tacked to the top of the page.)

3) Messages. To add to a topic already started, click on "Reply". Type your message and click "Save" Once saved, you can edit or delete your own message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When first coming into the Forum, click on a Category title to see all the Topics under it. Click on a Topic to see all the messages posted there.

*Note: The first time you want to post on the Forum, you will be asked to set up a forum profile. This only consists of 3 short items, all optional. 1) a signature, if you desire one; 2) your location; and 3) setting your time zone. You will be able to edit your settings later in "My Settings", at the top of the Forum page.
"My Signature" (optional) is anything you may want to appear at the bottom of each of your messages. For instance, your name, a short proverb or witty saying, etc.

You can Subscribe to receive new forum posts by email. Look for this feature at the bottom of your "My Settings" page, on every message you post, and at the bottom of every Forum page. (You can later Unsubscribe from your "My Settings" page.)

Master Photo

If you would like to have a photo of yourself appear to the left of your messages (and later on your threaded emails), click on "Forum Photo" at the top of the Forum page (or on "Edit/Upload Photos" on the left navigation panel).

If the picture that you want to use is already uploaded to your profile page, just click "Make This My Master Photo". If your photo is not already there, you will need to upload it.

If you want to use your senior grad picture, but you don't have one to upload, email: yourname@yoursite.com and it will be uploaded for you.

How to put photos in your messages

Posting pictures in the Forum is easy! See the toolbar at the top of this page for illustration of the following steps:

1) Click on the Image icon (the little yellow square in the editor, at the top left, to the right of the word 'source').

2) In the Image Button popup, click "Browse".

3) Find your picture in your files and click (or double-click) on the picture.

4) Click on "Upload Now"

5) Click "OK" when it tells you it's uploaded. You can now see your image in the preview box.

6) Click on "OK" at the bottom of the Image Button box, and your picture will appear in your message box.

7) Complete your message (any text you want to add), then click on "Save". You can also preview your message if you desire, before clicking Save.

Using the text editor:

Experiment, if you want, with the editing tools. Changing the size and color of your font is fairly easy. Use the Preview button to see how your message looks before saving it. After saving your post, you will still be able to edit or delete it.

You can also attach files to your message.

Click on "Browse" at the bottom of the message box.

Locate and click on the file you want to attach.

After you save your message, your file will appear as a link at the top of the message (see attached file at the top of this message).

(Note: Do not click on Preview after attaching your file because your attachment will be lost and you will have to attach it again.)

Edited 08/13/09 10:04 AM
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM - Response #7

Doug - This is great information, but I'm worried that it will be too complicated for many of my classmates. Some are barely computer literate. I hope they don't shut down the original Message Forum, which is really easy to use.

Thanks for this information.
Betsy

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM - Response #8

Nope you can keep right on using it. We're actually going to bring it back as an option for everyone. Different classes have very different needs. Smaller classes, and yes often older classes, sometimes have better results using the original forum without threading capabilities.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM - Response #9

Thanks Brad. I just have had no success getting my class to use the new Threaded Forums. They like the old one. Go figure...

Betsy

Sunday, October 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM - Response #10

Thanks for the text Doug, I definitely just used some of it on our site. Glad I didn't have to write it all myself!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.