ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

In Memory Pages Backup

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/12/11 09:07 PM Views: 1399 Replies: 5
Monday, December 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Are the In Memory Pages in a backup somewhere? I have searched all my sections and pages and do not find the In Memory pages in the Profile download or any of the class list downloads. Am I missing something or do I need to make this into a suggestion?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM - Response #1

If you download the class list, accessed from Manage Classmates, deceased classmates will be listed at the bottom of the file.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM - Response #2

This is true but it does not store any of the In Memory page data. It does not have the date of death and more important the obituary and condolences.

Monday, December 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM - Response #3

Hi Stan,

The In Memory content is not currently downloadable in spreadsheet format. If you want to preserve it elsewhere than the website itself, you'll need to visit each page and then save it to your computer using the file menu options in your browser. Our system is backed up regularly. See http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.cfm#backup for details.

Monday, December 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM - Response #4

Excel format is my least desired storage type. My preference would be an SQL DB format. Your answer is really a disappointment. What you are telling me to do does not bode well with my volunteers. Your asking us to comb through 2800+ In Memory pages and copy each page contents to some file. We wanted to create a memory book plus we see other opportunities with the data. Oh well it is what it is. I will stop In Memory adds until I get a better solution in place.

Thanks,
Stan

Monday, December 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM - Response #5

Unfortunately, this is not something we can easily do. The best solution I can come up with at the moment is to download a program that will allow you to mirror (make a local copy of all or part of) a website, and run it to grab the In Memory pages programmatically rather than manually. Then you'll still need to collate the data, but if you know how to deal with SQL, then it shouldn't be a problem to import it once you know the structure of the html files in which it is displayed.

If you are running an SQL database locally, then presumably you have the tools to code a script which loads each In Memory page directly from our server via http and extracts the content, storing it in your own database. A little knowledge of HTML and the Document Object Model would make that fairly straightforward for you. You wouldn't even need to purchase any additional software. It can all be done with open source programs.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.