ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Moving/Saving In Memory Pages off site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/17/14 02:39 AM Views: 1834 Replies: 26
Monday, March 17, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Preface: We've put a tremendous amount of work and research into our In Memory pages - 7 Classmates ended up spontaneously forming a team which spent a year leading up to our 50th ensuring we had the best page possible (and at least a page) for all of the over 50 of our mates who’ve passed away.

And in fact it became a real, meaningful and often emotional adventure as we combined our detective, tech and just plain instinctive skill sets in tracking down leads, reaching family members decades after some of the deaths, traveling to homes, visiting cemeteries with cameras, cold calling many people found on a variety of web searches looking to find clues as to any relatives, contacting libraries, record bureaus and more.

(Our committee had only marked "deceased" on our paper classmate list after learning of a death for all those years before the site - not when or where a classmate had died, etc., and many we'd never heard about until winnowing down our site "Missing List" turned up others. So the search range covered 1960-2012 and the entire country.)

What's next: And now that we have these pages – some very rich in content – having supplemented newspaper obituaries and such sources with everything we could cull from our yearbooks, conversations with family members (and sometimes photos from them), military records, etc., we have some pages we think would be good additions to sites like Ancestry.com and Family Search.org in the sense of adding real long-term genealogical value about these folks that's available no where else.

So… …Is there a way (hopefully simple, but even complicated if not) to archive the digital pages to submit them to such sites as the two mentioned above??

Again, this really feels worth doing (if possible) to us....

Edited 03/17/14 2:42 AM
Monday, March 17, 2014 at 3:52 AM - Response #1

Off the top, here are two methods. Both require an html editor for the final product.

Method1 - most efficient since it gets only the entry'

Just copy each page (just the section devoted to each person) and then paste into the editor.

Now save that page. It will copy all the images too when you paste (won't vouch for all editors but any decent one should).

Repeat each one.

=========================
Method 2 - Save each page as shown in your browser. For FF, it's Save Page As and then select the folder. This also copies everything, including CC stuff, so you need to spend time editing all that out, again using an html editor.

=========================

To send to someone, not so simple. Depends on what you want and where it's going since there are many photos and each of those has to "connect" to the person. Text only, just remove the pictures.

I'm not familiar with how the sites you mention accept information.

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM - Response #2

FamilySearch.org (free, no subscription required) has a place where you can upload "Memories" of your ancestors (or in this case, classmate). I would first change the HTML of the page to a PDF (try to make it look nice without the left-side menus of the website), then find the classmate and then add the memory PDF document. If you wanted to upload the photos separately as separate memories and the text in a different memory document, that can be done, too.

FamilySearch.org does require you to sign up with a username/password, but does not require any subscription to use their services.

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM - Response #3

FamilySearch.org (free, no subscription required) has a place where you can upload "Memories" of your ancestors (or in this case, classmate). I would first change the HTML of the page to a PDF (try to make it look nice without the left-side menus of the website), then find the classmate and then add the memory PDF document. If you wanted to upload the photos separately as separate memories and the text in a different memory document, that can be done, too.

FamilySearch.org does require you to sign up with a username/password, but does not require any subscription to use their services.

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM - Response #4

I forgot about being able to print as a PDF file. There are also online systems for converting to PDF. But that's the whole page and would be an odd presentation with all the extraneous data.

For removing the extraneous info to make it looks nice, I think method 1 has to be used first and then the save to PDF. So in-between the start and end there has to be an html editor involved.

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM - Response #5
PDF Conversion of Jim L. Morris www_weberhigh62_com_class_profile_cfm_member_id_4783285.pdf

Some of your feedback above is a bit above my geek grade but not too far... ...so I'm during further research.

I did dive in some, though, and have a few Q's about what I've learned so far:

1. HTML to PDF conversions: I tried a free "convert HTML to PDF" online program, http://pdfcrowd.com/ (basically one that came up high in search results).

I pasted the code from the In Memory Page editor as seen when you click on "Source," and the program pretty accurately converted the text, fonts - and all the spaces for the graphic elements - into a PDF - except (as I pretty much expected) none of the graphics themselves came along, rather empty place holders for them.

Which makes sense to me as the code refers to .JPG's located in the CC file vault. And the generated PDF file apparently had no access to those web locations.

So perfect text, but of little use without a PDF editor to add the photos back - and these (to my knowledge) are generally spendy. Also, adding/sizing the many graphics on some of our IM pages would take at least as long as other kludges I've already come up with.

2. URL to PDF conversions: The above site also has a "convert URL to PDF" function which worked PARTIALLY very well, i.e., my resulting PDF was mostly a complete rendering of the whole In Memory page (with the CCreator elements) - except about halfway through it also started omitting the JPG elements - and there were other artifacts as well. [document is attached]

I don't see why that happened - and disappointed because otherwise this would be a quick and sufficient way to share a page as a document with family members - and we do get requests.

Currently, using Word to create copy/paste/edit conversions (without any of the CC parts of the page) requires about an hour's work (for the complex pages) - and once done, I can save Word Docs at PDF's - I'm just trying to do it in less time with less work.

3. HTML Editor: Can anyone can recommend a free to not very expensive HTML editing program to try (that might be newbie friendly)? I searched and Blue Griffon looked like it might be suitable to the purpose outlined by Jack Vermeulen (and is free), and Amaya also seemed to be recommended.

4. Re "printing to PDF" (which I don't quite "get" as a concept) would that be done IN an HTML editor? Or another way?

[Firefox has a Print to File option, but doesn't list any types.]

Edited 03/17/14 6:52 PM
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM - Response #6
JimLMorris.pdf

How about the attached PDF file?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM - Response #7
PrintInMemory.txt

I pasted the attached text file into the SOURCE of Jim L. Morris's page, then saved it (after unchecking the "NOTIFY 57 classmates" checkbox), then viewed the page and clicked the word PRINT after the "In Memory" and it brought up the contents in a new window, and brought up the PRINT page. I then printed it with the "CUTE PDF" print driver which let me save the file as a PDF.

I then edited the SOURCE and removed what I added and then saved it again (after unchecking the "NOTIFY 57 classmates")

PS: you can make the default of "Notify 57 Classmates" to be unchecked by going to the PREFERENCES page.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 1:04 AM - Response #8

Another thing you could do is paste the PrintInMemory.txt contents to the bottom of the Google Analytics section of the Preferences page. This will automatically add the "Print" link to each of your classmate In Memory pages.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 2:21 AM - Response #9

That's pretty clean. I like the way it broke up the segments. The problem I had with a PDF writer is that it breaks it up like a printer. Doesn't look very good. Combined with that little script it came out really nice.

Kyles is the best way for sure since it also strips extra content.

===============================

Here are some other online tools that might come in handy later. Not for this purpose though.

These do a pretty good job converting the page directly.

http://www.htmlpdf.com/

and so does this LINK

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM - Response #10

NOTE: The script only displays the "Obituary" information, it does not display the classmate comments.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM - Response #11

The PDF output file you attached is great. Thanks, Kyle!

I see the "parsing function" of either your script or Cute PDF (if that's what you'd call it) inserted page breaks wherever there were large graphics which leaves blank spaces in the PDF....

....Still, without manual editing of element sizes, this is the best way to handle the matter. That is, some ways I've tried to print re-sourced material have simply chopped pictures in two, wherever there's a margin - which is what I think Jack was also referencing in Response #9, and this is far preferable.

The important thing is that all the elements were in the right proportion, right fonts, etc.

Meanwhile, took me a bit, but I've retraced most of these steps myself - i.e.,

1. Injecting and saving the "PrintInMemory.txt" script in the Classmate's In Memory page makes "Print in Memory" text appear at the top of the classmate's Page when the Page is viewed.

2. Clicking on that text brings up a view of the page with a printer dialog box.

And I haven't installed the Cute PDF" program yet, but I did try sending the output to OneNote 2010 and from there, saved that as a docx file (where the pages appeared the same way as in the PDF - except as softish pictures - not a sharp PDF.

I also sent it to the page preview function of my printer and saw that it would print the same way as the PDF if I needed a hard copy, but not a PDF.

So I should be good to go in terms of shareable files with now manual editing once I download and install "Cute PDF" and then have the option to "print to a PDF file."

Thanks a ton for this....

(Cute PDF is the free program on this page I'm assuming: http://softreviews.co/get/cutepdf-writer/?pk=964468&c=SoftRev_CutePDF_CCUS_Tree&hc=Free+Cute.Pdf+Download)

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM - Response #12

Yes it is free. It is what I used to print the PDF that was attached above.

One thing you might want to consider is if you change this line in the script
From this:
$('h2:contains("In Memory")').append(" print").click(function(){
To this :
$('h2:contains("In Memory")').click(function(){
Then the word "print" wouldn't display next to the "In Memory", but you could just click the text "In Memory" and it brings up the print dialog. You could then use the script in your PREFERENCES, Google Analytics window and ALL of your classmates in In Memory would just be easy to print to PDF and. You wouldn't need to edit each classmate, add the script to the SOURCE, save, then click. Instead just view, click,, print to PDF view next, click, print to PDF. It would be much quicker. Just an idea

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM - Response #13
Jim L. Morris complete In Memory page as view for web document.docx

BTW, before your solution, I kludged together a more manual method of producing an editable Word file - which looks great ON SCREEN, i.e., it appears without any blank spaces.

However, while not too much work to produce, the big limitation is it opens in Word as a "web layout" document that's not at all suitable for printing or saving as a PDF. (This wasn't my goal - it's just what I ended up creating.)

That is, it has no page breaks as you view it as one scrolling stream. But if you change it to a "Print Layout" document (on the View Ribbon), you suddenly have a ton of work to do.

So, while the use case is extremely limited, if a file you can view offline in Word is a primary purpose, this could be A way to go, and maybe worth posting. I know I learned a few things about OneNote and Word in the process at least. Wink

Here's the procedure:

1. Cut and paste the formatted output (not the HTML) into OneNote (I have 2010). 2. Save that OneNote section as a Word docx. 3. Open in Word and clean up any positioning of misplaced graphics or change para breaks, etc. and 4. Re-save.

Note: I'd previously tried pasting directly from the formatted output directly to Word, but every graphic element became huge and had to be resized/re-positioned, etc. Going through OneNote kept the graphics closer to how they appeared on the site (for whatever reasons), though some fonts and other minor aspects also changed a bit.

The cleanup took about 10 minutes for the attached example.

Edited 03/20/14 8:45 PM
Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM - Response #14
Jim-Morris-Test.pdf

If you want to do that sort of thing, method 1 is actually easier. That does a really good job here. Most html editors should be able to do the same thing.

I used MS Expression Web for this example since you can get it for FREE. Probably one of the best deals on the web HERE

Just copy the section you want directly from the page (that actually copies the underlying html) and then paste into Expression Web. Then print to PDF directly from the editor using one of the "pdf" printers. I didn't use CutePDF, but similar.

IOW, you do not need to save the file. It also has a print preview so you can see what it looks like just in case you do want to make some minor adjustments, just like any html editor.

I removed page numbering, headings, footers, titles which are options in either the editor or the writer.

Attached is the results with absolutely NO editing on my part. You might want to make some default font adjustments and play around.

Edited 03/20/14 3:13 PM
Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM - Response #15
Jim-Morris-Test2.pdf

Here's where I modified the font size (ctrl+A, set size to 14) and printed using FF. Let's see if the size is not too big here.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM - Response #16

!!! WARNING !!!

Do NOT use the LINK for cutepdf given in response #11.

I recommend you remove that link since it contains unwanted addons that hijack your browser even if you say you don't want them installed. In particular conduit browser hijack - very nasty.

I trusted that link thinking it had been used since I was curious about Cutepdf. Very bad. Did not work all that well either for the 'free' version.

I'd choose bullzip pdf printer HERE instead. No junk riding with it. Has some redundant "save" questions, but works.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 9:47 PM - Response #17

Got your warning too late. I'm used to downloading "freeware" - and thought I'd been careful about turning down every offer for their "helpful add-ons." I even read big swaths of the (several) EULA's - but you know how these "people" word things to make it sound like yes means no and vice-versa.

I aborted the installation when a "warning" popped up a few seconds in, but Conduit got through and took over all three of my browsers.

I know these outfits avoid being prosecuted for "malware" by supplying uninstallers and making their "adware" appear in Control Panel's program list.

1. I Uninstalled it (it's not called "Conduit" in the program list, but something like "Protect" + something else I forget, sorry, but "Conduit" was mentioned in the uninstall.

2. Removed traces still in my browsers - i.e., "Conduit" was still in the list of search engines and I'm guessing would have re-installed itself (or something worse) if used.

All seems well for now, but worried about re-booting. And if any other "little surprises" will show up later.

I'd also begun looking for other PDF printers by then - and the user comments on Bullzip (on CNet downloads also mentioned adware.

Leo Laporte (of "the Tech Guy" show and TWIT.tv), has stated he has no idea why a generally respected company like CNET is hosting all this spammy junk with no warning to site users, but now forewarned, done with them.

However, I see your direct link to Bullzip's site promises no adware.

I had ALSO searched for "PDF printers no adware no malware" and found this one: TinyPDF at http://www.tinypdf.com/ Which states on its site: "No adware, No spyware, No malware, No watermarks, No popup - no catch!"

Both of these companies also have paid products and seem to use these as "gateway apps" as opposed to bedevilling users for commissions from scammers - e.g., I've relied on the Free AVG anti-malware suite for 15 years, but having already been burnt once today won't pull the trigger on either for a day. Or three.

Any advice as to which of these two would be the safest and most effective to purpose would be appreciated.

Edited 03/21/14 2:43 AM
Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 11:27 PM - Response #18

Just run Malwarebytes to remove it. There's a boatload of stuff that is still there. You'll see.

One part you can remove using Manage Programs in Control Panel. Removing the search engine in the browser is also easy. The rest you need to edit the registry. Much simpler to let Malwarebytes handle it Wink

This might take a while for the scan. I have SSD drives, so it went fast, but might take 30 minutes.

I actually use Corel's PDF writer and was just testing the others (there's one other that worked - but I removed them - Edit - it was tinypdf - didn't seem to work as well). The Bullzip from their site has no adware. Not sure how I got Corel originally, could have been part of PaintShop Pro package or similar. It's $10 by itself now.

CutePDF even from their site does have adware. So they actually lie right there.

CNET downloads are ADDING this junk that the posts about bullzip complain about.

Edited 03/20/14 11:28 PM
Friday, March 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM - Response #19
Cute PDF Malware.JPG

Good call on running a thorough Malwarebytes scan, Jack. Thanks!!

13 other nasties had gotten through. (See attached) And Windows Defender was in a disabled state (though not sure for how long).

After reboot, Chrome and IE seem to start normally.

Meanwhile, on FireFox (never liked IE, and don't love Chrome despite trying) - there's a brief "flash" of what looks a bit like the old problem, but then the tabs from the last close come up. So possibly something residual there.

As for what "print to PDF manager" to get, I wouldn't mind paying Corel $10 - I've got a soft spot for them from years past. However, my current computer is still an old Vista, and on Corel's site it looked like their PDF printer was Win 8 only?

Whatever, I'll be on a Win 8.1u1 with a big SSD in a month or two, so can wait if that's the case.

FYI - on the Vista (650GB+ of file storage - 760K files - on a 7200 rpm HDD/Athlon CPU, the scan took about three and a half hours!

Edited 03/21/14 5:00 PM
Friday, March 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM - Response #20

Sorry for the troubles I caused by recommending CutePDF. I must have gotten a clean version (at least I didn't notice any additional malware) when I downloaded it.

What kind of a "soft spot" do you have for Corel? Is it just that they are a Utah company (at least the WordPerfect division used to be) and your school is a Utah school? I used to work for WordPerfect before Corel took the company up to Canada.

Friday, March 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM - Response #21

No problems, Kyle. Luckily between my own background and Jack's timely suggestions, no harm done and a few things learned

And since you asked... ...while wordiness is something I fight, an ex-Word Perfect employee might find my reminisces of interest. I definitely had a Utah pride thing going for the company (from their Satellite Systems Int'l days). The program was so superior to anything out there.

So the soft spot's more for WP than Corel, though props to them for keeping it alive, unlike so many other programs from the time.

I'd moved east to work for the NY State Dept. of Mental Health. And when PC's came along (late '70's, early 80's) all of NYS was a WordPerfect - and Novell NetWare - operation (back when Novell was called "Big Red") - and remained so through the '90's.

(PS: My mom went to Ogden High School with Ray Noorda - Novell's founder.)

So I was really hoping "Salt Valley" could give Silicon Valley a run.

My involvement's from DOS days (versions 4.2 - 6, and the DOS shell program that later became GroupWise). I was also the local WP Macro language whiz - e.g., I wrote an app for the hospital I worked at which the ward secretaries used to set up new patients' charts for years.

So when I came back to Ogden on vacation in the mid '80's, scheduling a visit and tour of the campus in Orem (right?) was, yes, high on my list of things to do.

What a bustling place! I bought a WordPerfect tee shirt in the company store (that I still have!). And left feeling they were unchallengeable in word processing.

Meanwhile, back in NY - and you may have the actual inside scoop on this - I fumed at the way I thought they were played by Microsoft. My take was and is that MS decoyed them into sticking with DOS and pouring resources in their own graphical UI on 6.0, which fatally delayed their transition to Windows.

The industry press was openly talking about Gates' tactics in not keeping WP in the loop on API's (which were supposed to be equally available to the Office team and "MS Partners" like WP, Ashton-Tate, Borland, Lotus, etc., but I hardly think there was a real "Chinese wall" between the Win and Office teams as MS claimed.

I still remember this quote in one of the weekly tech trade papers, saying the motto at MS HQ in Redmond was "The coding's not done until WordPerfect won't run."

And even today for all the resources MS has to throw at Office, WP's in key ways still a far superior program.

And that (in part) is how the world got stuck with Word, and why I'm getting concerned about my 20-30,000 WP files from those days being orphaned, e.g., if my descendants use Macs, forget about those ever being opened.

And that's that story... Very Happy

Edited 03/21/14 9:48 PM
Friday, March 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM - Response #22

In case you are interested, I worked at WordPerfect/Novel/Corel for 12 years (1987-1999), started in the Apple II GS group, then moved to PlanPerfect (Spreadsheet), and then WordPerfect where I worked on Tables in the WordPerfect Engine group (we translated the DOS machine code to C++ to run on Windows and other platforms). I survived all of the layoffs and was one of the last programmers on site in Orem when Corel closed the doors in 1999 to move to Canada.

Friday, March 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM - Response #23

A Corel/WP reunion Very Happy

Moving on, you can see if Corel's PDF works using this TRIAL version.

I think it will work.

IMO, the reason WP got slammed was because of PRICE. There was no way I was going to pay $500 back then for a word processing programming (that's like $5000 in today's money). So when MS Word was offered for $99 it was a no brainer. Sure all the other things also mattered, but PRICE was the final blow.

It's why Windows 95 (also real cheap - under $100) that offered relatively easy networking also hammered Novell. Novell was also WAAYYY overpriced. I have the original huge stack of diskettes somewhere for both of these.

Yeah, the SSD drive cooks. Amazing difference in everything even though the rest stayed the same. I boot in about 25 seconds Win 8.1 (Sata 3). Sata 6 should be under 20 seconds. Restarts no longer a problem Wink

P.S. I have most of the graphics programs from Corel. Started a long time ago with the one that does amazing vector graphics. That again was a really good deal compared to Adobe products - which are STILL overpriced.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 2:09 AM - Response #24

Nice, Kyle.

BTW, I was a CNA (Certified Netware Administrator) for a few minutes in about 1990.

So the thread's drifted far from where it started (but with much accomplished, thanks all) and I'm just shooting the breeze at this point...

The company always had a good code base, and Corel if nothing else, is very experienced at being a maverick company hanging on by finding niches (and likely being "good" at cost control, i.e., at being cheap??). My friend still runs his sign making business on Corel Draw.

Re tables, dunno if this is the code base you were referring to, however, I also have a 12 page WordPerfect set of interrelated tables full of all kinds of forumulas and function calls, with named cells cross referenced between the tables that I've used to manage my whole retirement portfolio for 15 years - so I may be using code you wrote to this day.

I've spent hundreds of hours over the years tweaking it as my needs change, and I have no concept of how I'd ever replicate everything it does in Excel, 'cos I've continually found the Excel interface super opaque.

So if for this document alone (and to ensure access to all my legacy docs of course) I keep WP.

PS: one thing people don't appreciate (especially in light of our little malware adventure right here) is that WordPerfect macros have never been embedded in documents that way that Word's are, and so shared WPD's aren't malware vectors.

And as for the price of "productivity software," Jack (and I see we're pretty much of the same vintage), all that stuff was always paid by my employer so I could focus on features, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having that history.

The first computer I ever encountered face to face was in the lab at my grad program at Brown Univ in 1966. It was a DEC PDP-8 Mini Computer, and though I'm no coder, I've always found ways to play at least at the edges, and learned to translate base 10 numbers to hexadecimal so I could do some data entry.

At home, my first computer was a Commodore 64 with the (still very adequate for the time) "Paperclip" word processor - along with the super-cutesy, super-jaggy Broderbund PrintShop for making cheesy flyers... Laughing

So by the time I bought my own first version of WP Office it was as Corel's "low-priced" spread to MS Office's butter.

But I did shell out a ton for Photoshop - and have no intention of sending Adobe $50/month for life for a single CS license these days, meaning (as a non-pro) I'm sticking with CS 2 and maybe the latest Elements/Premiere to play with on the new PC I'm buying.

Edited 03/22/14 2:10 AM
Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM - Response #25

In high school, I was accidentally enrolled in a Computer Science class my Sophomore year (I didn't have the prerequisite classes) and that class changed my future. If I had never enrolled in the class, I would not have become a computer programmer. The class started out with a PDP 11 and the BASIC programming language had to be loaded on to the system using a paper-punch tape (first you had to program the paper tape reader using dip switches). We also learned FORTRAN and had to write each line of code on a punch card and then take those punch cards to the local university computer labs to test our programs and debug them. Later, the HS Computer lab was upgraded and they got an Apple II computer. I would stay after school until late at night when my dad would need to come down to the HS to pick me up and take me home for dinner. We got an Apple II Computer for Christmas that year and the rest is history!

Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM - Response #26

Heck, I used binary bricks piled one on top of another and walked uphill both ways hauling them. Evil or Very Mad

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.