ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate without a computer

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/18/10 05:17 PM Views: 2043 Replies: 11
Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Hi, Yes, we actually have 5 classmates who say they don't even have a computer much less an email ID! Rolling Eyes But we have made contact with them and are keeping them posted by snail mail and phone on our events. My question is, for these classmates, is there any way I can keep them off the "Missing Classmates" list since they aren't technically "missing?"
Thanks, Elaine

Edited 04/18/10 5:18 PM
Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM - Response #1

Edit Site Pages,
Edit Missing Classmates page
At the top, you will see what defines a missing classmate:

[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates who have not joined the site.
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no email address entered in the system.
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no street address entered in the system.
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no email address or street address entered in the system.

Choose which option you want to define your missing classmates to be.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:43 PM - Response #2

Hi Kyle, Actually when I went into Edit Missing Classmates to check my criteria, the answer to my question was below the options -- it says: "Note: In some cases you may want to consider a Classmate to be not missing even if the Classmate is technically missing per the criteria you have selected above. If you ever have this scenario, enter "notmissing" in the email address field for the Classmate in the Manage Classmates area, and the Classmate will be removed from your Missing Classmates list."

That's what I did and it worked! Thanks, Elaine

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM - Response #3

My website is like 3 weeks old. My class of 1960 is expected to have quite a few of classmates that have no computer.

I was thinking of suggesting, when they can, perhaps go to the local library to access, and set up a hotmail address for email. Now typing that, brings to light if they don't have a computer, they very likely don't have a clue how to get a hotmail email address. Very Happy

Perhaps I can start Derrell's Helpdesk...lol. Anyone else thought of any solutions to try to allow these type classmates some interaction? I guess back to Snail Mail, and I could send them written instructions perhaps on how to get an email and log on when they can......Sad

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM - Response #4

What I did for my classmates who do not use a computer:
1. Requested a street address.
2. Joined the site for them using the same bogus domain name for all email addresses i.e. Classmatename@NHS.com
3. Put a bogus password.
4. Added an admin note to use snail mail.

When we email the class, these addresses bounce back and if it was critical, mail them via snail mail.

I also do the same thing for classmates who have been contacted and say that they have no interest in the reunion. I add that as an Admin note and that way, we know they have been contacted.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM - Response #5

good idea putting that in the email..that way it will bounce back and you will know to call/mail them. But, if they do get to a computer (say a friends), will they have to put that as their email address to log in?

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM - Response #6

Derrell.

I did the same thing. I went to the local library and asked for a room and way check out computers.

I posted online to all classmates in the area that I could teach them how to use the site. Asked all to contact people that didn't have a computer and let them know I would work with them.

Got a lot of response of how nice I was to do that but, not one person signed up for the class.

I was able to help a lot of classmates over the phone. Even long distance.

Good luck. Hope you get a better response.
N

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM - Response #7

I have them email with their new email address, I update their profile with the address and change their password. I also remove the Admin note.

I then send them an email at their new address with the password and ask them to logon and update their profile.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM - Response #8

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Edit Site Pages,
Edit Missing Classmates page
At the top, you will see what defines a missing classmate:
Kyle,
We have some classmates we found that don't want to be found. We put their information in a spot that only we (administrators) can see their information and send things and contact them about major things like the next reunion in case they change their mind. (It's in the managing classmates section)

There is another class mate that urban legend has as dead. (His brother died years ago and then a few years later someone in the area with a similar name and age died. So people still argue the fact that he is dead.) We think we have located just before the reunion but, he would not return our calls.

How would we keep the file accessible to the ones that have a change of heart and would sign up later. Or these 2 that were so popular and now want to be gone?

Does that list you gave put them in another category? Or it just indicates criteria? Does it just show up on the page for all?

Can you click all or add more to the list? (I'm a little confused on your answer.) Can you build something that would put some in categories so that people will stop sending questions about these people but, still available for them to join when they do have a change of heart?

Thank you
N

Thank you
N
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates who have not joined the site.
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no email address entered in the system.
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no street address entered in the system.
[ ]   Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no email address or street address entered in the system.

Choose which option you want to define your missing classmates to be.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM - Response #9

Note: In some cases you may want to consider a Classmate to be not missing even if the Classmate is technically missing per the criteria you have selected above. If you ever have this scenario, enter "notmissing" in the email address field for the Classmate in the Manage Classmates area, and the Classmate will be removed from your Missing Classmates list.

For those that don't want to be found, you can put "notmissing" in the e-mail address. Then they won't be listed as missing. They can still click on their classmate profile and click the JOIN NOW if they change their minds.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Response #10

Norma Baron wrote:

Derrell.

I did the same thing. I went to the local library and asked for a room and way check out computers.

I posted online to all classmates in the area that I could teach them how to use the site. Asked all to contact people that didn't have a computer and let them know I would work with them.

Got a lot of response of how nice I was to do that but, not one person signed up for the class.

I was able to help a lot of classmates over the phone. Even long distance.

Good luck. Hope you get a better response.
N

Hi Norma,

I really like that idea. I have one advantage, my employer will let me use our WEBEX account, if I don't get carried away. With WEBEX, I could actually connect to the computer at the library and do it all for them, likely quicker than I could walk them through on the phone.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM - Response #11

I like Kyle's solution...similar to what I do.
I don't like the idea of putting in a bogus email address. I use the criteria. you are missing if you don't have a snail mail or email addy.
I just put in a fake address something like 123 Alpha St...etc..etc. This way if they do get a puter or access to one..they can then join the site and update their own profile.
Now for people who want to be on the website with no puter. We send them a form to sign giving us permission to use their address and phone# on the site.
I think there is another thread that addressed this situation. Why go thru all that trouble?? It becomes more work for you..unless you have many site Admins. I like to keep it simple. I would hope you keep some kind of database on non-puter users, so you can notify them of reunion details.

Edited 04/19/10 12:21 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.