ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate Profile - Sending Invites

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/07/08 12:20 PM Views: 1417 Replies: 5
Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 12:20 PM

If a user clicks a names in Classmate Profiles and they have not yet "joined" or created a profile the message says:

Classmate Profiles

JOIN HERE!
If you are Mike, please click here now to create your profile!

Mike Adams has not yet created a profile.

Do you know where Mike Adams is? If so, please enter Mike's email address below and an automated notification will be sent inviting Mike to join our site.

And then gives a text box for whomever sees it to "Sent Invite."

Our questions is -- Is there a way to turn that automated notification to invite Mike "off"? We want that strictly under the control of the administrators so Mike doesn't get multiple emails inviting him (if that's how it works).

Also where can I see what that "Invite" says?

Thanks! Elaine

Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM - Response #1

Good questions Elaine. Several answers:

1) You cannot currently turn off the invite field. The odds of very many Classmates knowing Mike's personal email address are slim. And even if they did, the odds of all of them inviting Mike are slim. Thus it's highly doubtful Mike is going to get inundated with web site invite emails.

2) The automated invite verbiage is very simple. It just says that a fellow Classmate has invited you to the web site and provides a link. If you want to see the actual email just type in your own email address into the invite box and invite yourself. A couple minutes later you'll get the invite email.

3) If you must turn off that join box, you can always join the site on behalf of Mike and only provide him his password when he's ready to participate. I can't really recommend doing that because Mike would miss all of the signup instructions which I think are important, but it would work.

4) And finally, we'll shortly be adding a "no contact" option that Admins can turn on. It's actually intended for Classmates who simply do not want to participate in the web site. But in your case, you could easly turn on the option until such time that Mike has indicated he wants to participate, and then you could turn it off, revealing his join box again so he can sign up. We're going to try to slip in this option before Christmas, but it may be just afterwards.

Edited 12/07/08 2:29 PM
Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 3:22 PM - Response #2

Brad,

1)That’s ok. Very true – besides, if he’s inundated with emails, he might be motivated to check website out!

2)Duh – thanks – I did that and the invite email look good to me.

3)Yes, I agree about the join box – no need to do that.

4)I read about that in another thread – I think a “no contact” option would be helpful as I do agree there are people out there who’d want and use it.

Thanks for you reply. And, I have to mention that I think ClassCreator.com is fabulous! And for the people I’m having test our site they think it is too – definitely the best out there!

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 4:39 PM - Response #3

Brad,

I am a neophite learning the website ropes; you appear to be the man with the answers. I recently clicked on the "where am I" home page link to see what happened. What happens is you get an open window like the one described in this thread. However, some of the verbaige is not applicable since this is a University website and not a high school website (it states "Classmate X, from Bethlehem PA now residing in NY, NY" when in fact Classmate X could be from California (the University is in Bethlehem PA). Can this 'canned' language be removed to say "Classmate X, currently residing in NY, NY"?
Thanks for your help!
-Laura

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 8:08 PM - Response #4

Well, it almost states what you state it states. Smile But, not quite. You said it states this:

"Classmate X, from Bethlehem PA now residing in NY, NY"

It doesn't actually say the word "from" though. It states only this:

"Classmate X, Bethlehem PA, now residing in NY, NY"

"Bethleham PA is just a keyword that reflects the location of the school. Or in your case the university. But it doesn't actually state the Classmate is from there.

The reason the title tag is formulated this way is because people often search Google for lost Classmatses, and we want to make sure somebody they're searching for can be located. Thus it wouldn't be at all uncommon for somebody to search for something like:

"Brad Switzer, Bethleham PA" because the last I knew of Brad Switzer, he was attending the university in Bethleham.

Anyway, this is my long way of saying that removing the location of the high school from the title tag (or in your case the University) would be counter productive for people trying to locate a lost Classmate. Many times the location of the school is the only thing people include in their search other than the Classmate's name, because that location is the only location known.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM - Response #5

It implies folks are from the school town, but I understand your/my desire for having better search criteria. Thank you for your quick response, I'm sure I will have more questions ......

Laura

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.