ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Domain Registry of America

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/27/10 01:01 AM Views: 1205 Replies: 1
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Do not fall for the Domain Registry of American scam! I think all CC admins have gotten the "bait and switch" domain renewal letter from Domain Registry of America. Note that the scam letter does not say it is a bill. It will cost you a lot more money if you take their bait.

Class Creator domains are registered through ClassNames.net.

I know there are other threads about this but I wanted to make it easy for someone to search for the topic.

Frank had a good idea: "Brad, would it be possible to alert all new websites to this scam and perhaps a periodic reminder?"

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 1:31 AM - Response #1

We do. We send one initial alert and another at the 7 month mark, just before these things tend to start going out. The alerts did cut down a great deal on the problem but that doesn't stop us from dealing with this issue literally every single week. I noticed their most recent solicitation is worded very cleverly (not in a complimentary way) which I suspect covers their legal bases, while still realizing many people aren't going to read all the small print on the page. Who gets a bill and reads lengthy text like that? They know some percentage of people are just going to pay the bill, thereby mistakenly transferring their domain name away and paying a whole lot more money for the domain to boot. Unfortunately they're right...

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.