ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Super Cookies for info gathering???

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/14/10 05:12 PM Views: 1549 Replies: 3
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I have been contacted by a classmate that is concerned that ClassCreator.com is using super cookies to extract information from "all our friends" computers!!
How do we go about checking to see if this is true?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 6:18 PM - Response #1

Ummmmmm. Well, that's certainly the first time we've gotten this question. Smile

Answer: If there is such a thing as a "super cookie" vs. a regular cookie I'm unaware of it. So while I can't speak about super cookies, if they exist I highly doubt they could affect any computer other than the computer accessing the web site. So the good news is the friends are safe. We do use ordinary cookies to keep members logged in, which is common with systems like this. The cookies aren't reading anybody's personal information or anything like that though, not to mention we already have access to anything in the system anyway. For this reason we have our own privacy policies we uphold. Please direct your Classmate to our FAQs page and have her click on Questions About Privacy for more information.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 6:23 PM - Response #2

Well this is interesting, I did some research and the term "super cookie" really is being used. Usually this term is referring to Flash cookies created by Flash objects on the site. Flash cookies are different from regular browser cookies and have been apparently dubbed "super cookies." Same answer though, any "super cookies" we are using are there just to make stuff work. Like Live Chat. Instant Messaging. The built-in Image Editor. And a few other things. It's actually possible to prevent Flash from storing cookies, although doing so would break everything.

Edited 09/14/10 6:29 PM
Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM - Response #3

Super Cookies??? As in Triple Choco Chip???
Sorry..I couldn't resist!!!Rolling EyesRolling EyesLaughingLaughing

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.