ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading Classmates

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/26/09 01:52 AM Views: 1887 Replies: 15
Monday, January 26, 2009 at 1:52 AM
reunion jan112009 Comma.csv

Everytime I try to upload my list I get this error--ERROR: You have a classmate record without a last name. The usual cause of this is that the Last (Maiden) Name and Married Name fields are swapped in your file. Please double check, switch those fields and try again. I have checked the list thoroughly, and there is nothing missing. What can I do?

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 2:10 AM - Response #1

Please use the search function and search for a single comma. Even one comma in your list can mess up your import. If you can't find any commas in your list, please email your .csv file to mail@classcreator.com and I'll take a look.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 2:40 AM - Response #2

I did find 3 commas and removed them, but it's still not working. I have been doing this for a few hours now, and I checked and deleted all of my other saved files to make sure I had the correct one. I will email it to you to see if you can get it going. Thank you, and good night.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 3:35 AM - Response #3

Usually it's just one little thing. I'll check it out tomorrow. Good night. Smile

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM - Response #4

Try getting rid of the blank line after the header row.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:47 AM - Response #5

Deleting that line did not work. Sad

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM - Response #6

I see 4 commas in address fields
One on Dean Archibald
John Schewideiler
Sharon Tamol
Eric Tuberdyke

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 5:21 PM - Response #7

I sent this through regular email...not sure if you got it....

"I already had the commas out?!?? Here are the two files I have been working with. Should I try to load it without the addresses of those 4 people? Just an idea!
I took the spreadsheet ending with “CommaF” and removed those 4 addresses….same error."

...Do you have any other ideas? I really need to get this up and running for everyone. Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM - Response #8

Can you post your latest and greatest .csv file here so I can check it out?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM - Response #9

Why don't you just try the first couple of names in the list to see if those upload. If they have problems, it might be the addresses that are all in one column. Maybe if you split it into Street1, Street2, City, State, Zip, it might load.

Just a test you could try.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM - Response #10
reunion jan112009 CommaFJ.csv

We must think alike...that is what I have spent the last 90 minutes doing! I put the addresses in the correct fields. I also deleted these little question marks I was seeing, which I think were extra spaces. I will try to upload it now, but I have attached my "latest & greatest", just in case! Let's hope it works, because at this point I should have added them all manually!! LOL!!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM - Response #11

....and it failed! Same error. AAAGGGGHHHH!! I also tried cleaning up the contacts that were previously loaded, then uploading the spreadsheet....crickets!

Edited 01/28/09 12:46 AM
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 4:52 AM - Response #12

Hang tight, Mike will take a look at this tomorrow afternoon.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM - Response #13

Looking at your classmates that loaded successfully, I see that it stopped at Denise Grout. This tells me that there is a problem with the NEXT classmate. So looking at Jeff, I see that he has an address1 field with an extra line in it. Maybe that is causing the problem. Try removing the extra line and see if that fixes the problem.

UPDATE: I just looked at previous Address 1 fields and they also had extra lines, so NOT THE PROBLEM, but I still think that Jeff is the classmate causing the problems.

Another idea... The upload page says the following: There is no country field included in the template, but you can manually set a Classmate's country after your batch import has been completed. I can see in the STATE column that some classmates have "England" as the state. This is the country, so it should probably be left blank.

Some of the states have a SPACE , for example " NY". I don't know if that is a problem or not.

Edited 01/28/09 9:37 AM
Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 9:19 AM - Response #14

Here's what I tried:

1-removed Jeff's address, etc., only leaving his name.
2-removed Jeff completely
3-removed all of the spaces on the States
4-removed the London address
----No change in error.

I added Jeff back in with no address, and edited all of the address fields to remove extra lines and spaces....IT WORKED!! IT IS ALL DOWNLOADED!!! YEAH!! WHEW!!

Thank you!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM - Response #15

...it seems to have missed a lot of email addresses, though.

CORRECTION-they were in the wrong place from the first down load. All set.

Edited 01/29/09 10:31 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.