ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Firefox vs. IE8 vs. Chrome & our homepage

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/01/09 12:53 PM Views: 1308 Replies: 2
Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 12:53 PM

The other day, one of our classmates said that she could only see a big "white space" between the left side menu column and the right modules (i.e. piechart (when logged in), login screen, ...) on our reunion homepage.

I normally use Chrome so I fired up Firefox (3.5.3 currently) and saw what she described: the center area was blank where the first module (Announcements for our site) of the Content Area should have started.

I had to scroll down to where the bottom right module (CC ad) ended, and that's where the center Content Area started.

This "displacement" of the Content Area to the bottom below the start of Right Modules only happened with Firefox. I didn't see this problem with Chrome or IE8.

Did I break it or do I need to do something differently to fix it or is there something else amiss?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM - Response #1

Your OCTOBER 15th announcement had a table inside it that was too wide. I changed the width to 350 and it fixed it.

Here is how you can track these down by yourself.

Turn off each announcement one at a time. Then view the Home Page. If you still have the problem, re-activate the announcement and then deactivate the next one. Repeat this process for each announcement. If the Home Page looks normal without that announcement, then you have found the problem announcement. You then need to edit the elements in that announcement and figure out what is causing the page expand.

Edited 10/01/09 1:42 PM
Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM - Response #2

Hi Kyle. Oops, I'd set the table width to 400 to make tables (I'd done 2 others which I moved out before the 1st report) larger than the default width which I didn't like. So I SWAG'ed a value of 400 and it looked OK under Chrome, so I didn't think I needed to tweak the value Smile

Now, back when *I* used to write code & HTML, I would've *actually tested* changes by trying different browsers. I'd have caught the problem right away. But hey - I'm retired now! Test? I don't need no test!

;p

Allen.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.