ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Cancer survivors

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/25/09 08:58 PM Views: 4216 Replies: 26
Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM

We're learning as our site is growing we have many cancer survivors within our class. Is there a "survivor" symbol that can be added as a selection next to the classmates name?

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM - Response #1

I like this idea too!

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM - Response #2

No. But only because I think it's too generic to universally add to a class web site system. I certainly understand the desire and would support such an icon. We have to be careful we don't get "icon'd out" though. There's something to be said for having too much of a good thing...

Having said that, this just triggered an idea. How about a "add your own icon" system? I.E. you could use Profile Generator to define what an icon means, and then upload one to the system. This way sites who want such a feature could add their own, without having it globally impact all other sites. Just an idea, lemme know what you think.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 12:01 AM - Response #3

Qualitatively you are never short on ideas, or humor, or response time. So you shouldn't be short Quantitatively if we expect the same quality we're getting from you and your team.
Rightfully set your fees Brad and surprise us beyond expectations.
The feature of making our own icon sounds brilliant !

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM - Response #4

Labyrinth....Sounds like you're on to something..Brad..."Never short on ideas, humor or response time!!" Sounds like an ad campaign!! Well, I thing he deserves all the accolades he(and the team) get....Good Lord, he's even patient with me...Rolling Eyes Bonita

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 3:34 AM - Response #5

Don't press your luck.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 6:56 AM - Response #6

Really you think it would be too much? I am surprised, but hey I'm open to the "create your own" idea. The idea came when we started a Relay for Life team because cancer has touched so many of our classmates lives, that it would be nice to recognize and support them.

We thought if there wasn't a possibility to get this we'd could just list the survivors on a separate page.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:01 AM - Response #7

Create you own is a good idea. What I did was to google "recognition /awareness ribbons illness" and was able to get click art which I pasted on people's profile pages. I did it on the In Memory page for each person. You could pull a symbol and add it on the profile page of the living.

Perhaps until Brad and the Team can work through their list to this one, you could use this temporary idea. Of course, it won't go on the Classmate Profiles list.

Diana

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM - Response #8

I like this idea a lot.
I think other sites could want to use it for identifying:
* Reunion Committee Members
* Those with new babies\marriages or other life events

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM - Response #9

Bonita, you have the gift of perception . I coudn't agree with you more that we have someone at the helm who is a professional who loves his craft, and there's enough proof of that. Like any other business a financial yardstick should be looked at as the cost of the future.

" Giving people a little bit more than they expect is a good way to get back a lot more than you'd expect."
Robert Half

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM - Response #10

Hahaha Laughing

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM - Response #11

Sorry, Labyrinth...This was meant for reply to Brad's "Don't press your luck" post above. See? I can't even post properly!!!!!Confused Bonita

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:23 PM - Response #12

Brad,

What a GREAT IDEA!!!! I think that it would be a great addition since each class has unique needs. No need for you all to have to keep adding icons on a case by case basis until we are icon'd out!

Thanks for all you do!

Vicki

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM - Response #13

I love the idea of the cancer survivor symbol. I am amazed by how many classmates are survivors. I like the ribbon and allow the classmate to choose the color. The ribbon itself seems to be a recognized cancer survivor symbol.

I would be hesitant to allow any symbol to be added. It will get confusing.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM - Response #14

You, the Admin, would be the symbol creator of course. So if you wanted to add just a cancer survivor symbol, you could. From our perspective, a lot of schools are not going to want that. Like a class that just graduated in 2009. To them that symbol isn't going to be necessary. We have to keep the system generic enough that it fits with all users, and customizable enough that it can be tailored by each class. Thus the customizable icon idea -- any class could set up their own icon scheme based on their own individual needs and time period of their lives they're in.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM - Response #15

okay. got it. Smile

j

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM - Response #16

Sorry, I'm totally new at this. How would I create the symbol and get it in their profile or next to there name?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM - Response #17

First you'll need to wait for the ability to actually exist. It just came up here in the forums now. It will be some time before we even get to this -- unfortunately I cannot consider this a high priority task.

By the way, I actually had a better thought than above. People making their own icons is going to get sticky for a lot of sites. We're better off making an "icon collectie" and letting people activate the ones the way to use. Anyone who wants a new icon could submit the idea, and it could then be added to the collective in case other schools also wanted to utilize the concept. I think that's a much better way to go than hoping all people can create their own icons.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM - Response #18

Speaking of which, do we want to start a list here of optional icons? I have "Cancer survivor." Anything else? What would the cancer survivor icon look like?

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM - Response #19
cancer survivor.jpg

I have attached a cancer "survivor" ribbon

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM - Response #20

Add a "Facebook" icon to the list for all the classmates that are on Facebook. I guess a Myspace one too.

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM - Response #21

An icon for Life Member of the Alumni Association.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM - Response #22
cancer survivor.jpg

Cheryl Engfer wrote:

I have attached a cancer "survivor" ribbon

I think that's perfect...the classmate and/or the admins can elaborate on what form of cancer, if they choose. I think Brad might freak out if someone said that they wanted to list the colored ribbon for each form of cancer!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM - Response #23

Brad Switzer wrote:

Speaking of which, do we want to start a list here of optional icons? I have "Cancer survivor." Anything else? What would the cancer survivor icon look like?

I like the idea of having one for the members of the reunion planning committee...don't know what it should like at this point, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Are you planning on giving the icons a name or will I be able to go through the list and assign the one that I like for whatever item I like?
For example: You have a list of the icons, and I am looking for one to put beside the committee members. You may have one that you think fits for that topic, but I see a different icon that I prefer...will I be able to select that one and indicate that it is marking the committee members?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM - Response #24

We'll probably have a group of icons from which you can select and assign names at wil, yes. And of course you'll also e able to upload your own if there's something we haven't thought of or simply something else you'd prefer to use.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 6:43 AM - Response #25

Brad Switzer wrote:

We'll probably have a group of icons from which you can select and assign names at wil, yes. And of course you'll also e able to upload your own if there's something we haven't thought of or simply something else you'd prefer to use.

I just thought of another one: how about a quill and it could stand for anything that the admin assigns it to, but I was thinking that it could be used to identify that a comment has been posted on someone's profile by another classmate.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM - Response #26

Logged for consideration, thanks!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.