ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmates downloading files

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/12/09 03:49 PM Views: 1698 Replies: 11
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I want to put a slide show on the site that classmates can download if they want to keep their own copy or burn a DVD or whatever. I can probably figure out how to upload it to the site, but is it possible then can download? Would they right click to copy and save on their own computer? Can I upload a quicktime file? powerpoint?

Thanks, Sue

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM - Response #1

Yes to all of the above.

1) Go into edit mode for the page of your choice
2) Click the chain link icon
3) Click the File Vault button
4) Follow the directions on screen to upload your file
5) Once uploaded click one time on your file then click the "Insert" button. This will automatically insert a link on your page so Classmates can simply click on it to download your file.
6) Exit File Vault and save your page

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM - Response #2

Thanks for such prompt and excellent "service with a smile"!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM - Response #3

Is there a limit on file size of files you can upload per page? I have one file that's 22,000 KB and one that's 50,000 KB and tried to upload and it never worked.
Thx, Sue

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM - Response #4

No, providing you have enough room in File Vault for the files. What is the format (three character extension) for those files? At 22 megs and 50 megs, each of those files will take awhile to upload. Generally uploads go slower than downloads.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM - Response #5

One (smaller) is a pdf file; other is a powerpoint. How do I tell how much room I have in file vault?

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 1:40 AM - Response #6

If you click the chain link icon while in your editor, or the image icon while in your editor, and then click the File Vault button, the capacity used and the capacity free is listed right there.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM - Response #7

Does a Powerpoint file load the same as other images or is there something special that has to be done to upload it and run it?

Thanks, Virginia

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM - Response #8

You can upload a ppt file but the viewer would have to have Powerpoint installed to view it. I believe there's other export options in Powerpoint for the web, like Flash, which would be preferable. Or any web video format.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM - Response #9

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't make this Powerpoint show, it was sent to me by another. Is it too late to save it as a different file type?

Virginia

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 3:41 PM - Response #10

You or somebody with the Powerpoint software would need to open up the file and export it to a web file format.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 5:30 PM - Response #11

Ok, I'll give it a shot!! Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much, Virginia

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.