ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Forums - combining topics

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/12/09 02:33 PM Views: 1323 Replies: 2
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I created a Elementary Schools forum where each of the schools have their own Topic.

We've had a few instances where someone wants to comment and instead of doing so in the current topic, they created a new topic. I think that they may have been confused (easy at our age). At the top there are two choices... Post a New Topic or Reply. I'm thinking that since the think it is different than what people were talking about that they should start a new topic.

Could we have a way when this is done to move the posting to the proper topic.

For example... there is a topic for Holcomb School... someone created a topic 'Holcomb was better than High School' and another created a topic 'Larry Jensen' and started the post with "Hello Holcombites! I was contacted by Larry Jensen". Both of these topics would be better served by being in the Holcomb thread.

Just asking!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM - Response #1

Nope you can't have that. Smile

The reason why is because it's just too convoluted. You can move an entire Topic that was posted in the wrong forum to the right forum, along with all responses to that topic, but you can't move responses from one thread to another.

The reason why is everything is tied to the thread. It's a discussion. You can't just remove pieces of an ongoing discussion. People often click things like "Quoted Reply" referencing previous posts. And all posts are emailed out to those who subscribe to your forum threads. If you could move bits and pieces you'd break all of those links, because those links are anchored directly to the response itself. Even if you could move responses to different threads, most of the time the discussion would have progressed past the point where the response would have made sense, so now you're likely also going to want a way to change the order of responses within a thread to try to piece the conversation back together in a way that makes sense. And even if we allowed that, how many people would likely scroll back up to read a response that had been moved long after the conversation had already progressed further?

Bottom line, you'll need to train the users to Reply to a thread if they're wanting to participate in a current discussion, and only press "New Topic" if they actually want to start a separate, new topic in the same forum.

Edited 08/12/09 5:45 PM
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM - Response #2

Oh well... I tried.

Actually that's what I though you'd say... but I was hoping.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.