ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Restricting pages?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/29/08 09:29 AM Views: 1747 Replies: 22
Friday, August 29, 2008 at 9:29 AM

I may be losing it, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. How do I get a page to be restricted where it will come up "Sorry, you must be logged in first" to show on the screen if you are not logged into the site? It does that for Survey Pages if you are not logged in, and that's what I'm looking for on some others.
Thanks in advance, and Brad -This is the BEST.
Roger

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM - Response #1

What are you trying to do?? Limit access to just those who are logged in to certain sites or link?? I think you can do it in the right column with the "password protect" function!! It will still allow anyone access (other than administrative of course) who has signed up and signed in!!! Go to the Edit function for pages and you can lock it down to anyone except those who have signed up.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM - Response #2

I tried that - even if you just get to the homepage and NOT login you can still open the page I am trying to limit access to. If you set up a page as a survey, you can't get to it unless you are logged iin as a valid classmate and that is what I am trying to do.
Thanks

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM - Response #3

I guess Brad's the guy to ask for that??? I've had no problem restricting access and am a BIG fan of it.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM - Response #4

Roger Combs wrote:

I tried that - even if you just get to the homepage and NOT login you can still open the page I am trying to limit access to. If you set up a page as a survey, you can't get to it unless you are logged iin as a valid classmate and that is what I am trying to do.
Thanks

You're right. That is really weird. I first assumed you must have been still logged in somehow, but I tested this from 3 different browsers in a non logged in state and walked right into that page. Maybe some strange symbol or character in there is somehow throwing off the password, who knows. I have turned this over to the programmers with a stat request on it. This issue should be resolved later today.

Edited 08/29/08 6:28 PM
Friday, August 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM - Response #5

Oh, doh! I see the problem. Your page is not password protected because you never set a password. You left the password field blank. I went ahead and put "test" in there for you. So now nobody can get into your page unless they type in "test". You can go back into your Edit Site Pages area and change the password to whatever you want.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM - Response #6

Brad - Thank you very much - as before when you have helped out - it is something stupid that I've missed in something that should be so simple. The HARD stuff doesn't seem to be a problem.
Roger

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM - Response #7

I changed the programming task on this so if anybody else tries to password protect a page with a blank password, it will not save and will prompt them to enter a password. Your blank password today will prevent others from making this same mistake in the future.

Edited 08/30/08 2:30 AM
Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM - Response #8

Sure - leave it up to me - Well at least somone else can't make the dumb mistake.
Thanks

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM - Response #9

Sure - leave it up to me - Well at least somone else can't make the dumb mistake.
Thanks

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 12:25 PM - Response #10

Is there a way to password-protect a page and make it show only for members who know that page's password?

So in essence, they need to have TWO passwords...one to login to the site, and a second one to access the 'secret' page.

Our reunion organizers wanted to use it for reunion planning shared documents...no need for all members to see them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM - Response #11

No, but our upcoming threaded forums will feature the ability to make a private forum w/ password. And you can share files inside of a forum. So I think when this is live you'll be able to do what you're asking.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM - Response #12

Thank you for the quick response.

When do you think this feature will be available?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM - Response #13

I got out of the ETA business. Smile We got a little sidetracked by software and hardware updates that kinda snuck up on us. But now that that's nearly out of the way, we'll be launching our themed designs, and then after that working on the new Preferences area and the integration of the threaded forums.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 1:29 AM - Response #14

I would like to restrict the public from viewing pages, but I don't want to set a password. I only want people who have signed in to view the page, is that possiable?

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 1:55 AM - Response #15

If somebody attempts to access a page you have restricted, and they are not logged in, we have to bring up something. Typically that would be the password protected page. If we didn't show the password protected page, then people who have a login and have permission to see that page wouldn't be able to log in. I don't really see what else we would do. A page is either publicly viewable, or it's not. Why not put it behind a password? I.E. why is it that you're not wanting the password protected page to come up? If somebody shouldn't be seeing that page, I don't really see why it would matter if they're seeing a password protected message? Maybe you can explain what you're rationale is behind this and what you'd rather see.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 2:25 AM - Response #16

Maybe I haven't been clear.
I only want my classmates to see the "sub pages". So if they are not logged in, then they can't see the missing classmates or the reunion details. My logging in, then I can be somewhat protected that only my classmates see the details of the reunion.
So rather than have the password come up, then log in page should come up.

Edited 10/16/08 2:26 AM
Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 3:50 AM - Response #17

The password protected page already doubles as a login page already though. If somebody not logged in hits a password protected page, you can log in right from that page.

Edited 10/16/08 3:52 AM
Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 8:27 AM - Response #18

Steve, I know what you mean, I think because I wanted the same thing. I don't want to have to mess with a seperate password to see pages. I don't want my classmates to have to log in to the site and then click on another page and be prompted for another password to view the content. And I don't want to worry about making sure they all have the password, really.

What I would like is for pages to only be available to those logged in. No eaxtra password needed.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 11:41 AM - Response #19

But that's *exactly* how it already works..... If a Classmat logs in, and then they try to access a password protected page, they'll go right to the page and never see a password protected message. So unless I'm mistaken, you are asking for the exact way the system already works. Help me out if I'm missin' somthin' here folks.

If you restrict a page, and then somebody clicks on it, we have to do one of two things:

1. If they are logged in already, let them right in with no intervening step.

2. If they are not logged in, then we need to show them something that allows them to log in.

And that's exactly how the system has worked from day 1. If you are suggesting it should work differently from this somehow, please tell me in very specific terms what you're asking to see.

Edited 10/16/08 11:43 AM
Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM - Response #20

Please note, the SYSTEM PASSWORD is something you give to non Classmates to get into a page. I.E. somebody who doesn't have an account on your site at all. If your Classmate has already logged in, they will never have to enter the system password to access any page on your site -- ever.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 12:29 PM - Response #21

Ohhhhhh! THANK YOU for clarifying!!!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 1:09 PM - Response #22

Good to know!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.