ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

uploading photo for classmate

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/06/14 06:34 PM Views: 1572 Replies: 10
Monday, October 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

As administrator I'm attempting to upload a photo sent to me by a classmate. When I upload the photo on the classmate's profile the image is changed to a horizontal view, rather than the vertical image in the download. There doesn't seem to be a way to "rotate" the image & I prefer not to save the image as horizontal. Is there a way to rotate the image or will it be auto-rotated when saved?
Thanks, John

Monday, October 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM - Response #1

Open the image in an image editor and then save again - suggest to use a different filename. Now upload this "new" image and it will work.

CC image processor doesn't recognize metadata which says how the image was taken. For example, the camera was rotated, so rotate it back Wink

Monday, October 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM - Response #2

Thanks, for your suggestion, Jack. I tried a few editors but not having any luck. Can you offer more help?
John

Monday, October 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM - Response #3

Which editor? I think IrfanView is one that works. I use PSP which I know fixes this issue.

Did it show correctly in whatever editor you used?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Jack. I downloaded PSP. I've successfully uploaded the photo now to the classmates profile in the correct orientation (Vertical).

However (rather than use the word "but" Wink) the thumbnail on the classmates profile has cut off the lower half of the face. When I click on it, I'm directed back to the add a photo screen, In other words it will not auto enlarge the photo. I went back to PSP & adjusted the photo twice (larger & smaller) & it will not save the adjusted photo. I get a blank thumbnail page (no image).

I really appreciate your help, Jack, but...I'm spending way too much time (learning PSP) trying to help out a classmate. Do you have a suggestion for my fix?
If it's a problem I can always ask the classmate to send me another photo (in the correct orientation).
John

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM - Response #5

When I had this problem, I saved the photo to my own laptop, made the change in rotation and saved, then uploaded the saved image to the individual's profile.
Took very little time.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM - Response #6

Thanks, Bonnie. I downloaded the photo from the classmates email attachment. It downloaded in the correct orientation (vertical) & I saved it. It was saved also correctly. When When I uploaded the photo to the classmate's profile, the orientation changed to horizontal. There is no option to change the orientation at that point. The only choices in "edit" are to add caption info or delete the photo.
See Jack's Response #1 above.
PSP is a great editor but it requires a learning curve which I need to do when there's a 36 hour day.Very Happy
I did OK with PSP but as you can see above, I blundered into another wall.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM - Response #7

I don't know how the photo is being used for sure, although it sounds like it is being used as one of the top photos (Master, Now, then, yearbook).

For the "Master, etc." you can crop and move the photo. So move 'drag' rectangle to select the area you want and then drag the edges to get the rest.

There are ratios that can make the CC crop tool limited so you can't get exactly what you need. To fix that you have to do the cropping yourself in a graphic editor.

PSP is pretty simple, you drag a select rectangle (press S) around the image and then crop to selection (shift+R) [These commands are also available via menu selections].

Then Save the image again and upload the cropped image.

If that's not possible then have them send another photo with better proportions.

If it's for a general photo it's probably a bug in CC processing.

So I'd have to see the actual photo and know for sure how it's being used in the profile. Then I could verify this myself.

You can post the photo here as an attachment (Attach File).

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM - Response #8

Actually, Jack the photo was being added to the "classmates photos", just above "add a video".
As I said I got the pic to load, oriented properly, via PSP. Problem is only half the pic (facial shot) is view-able. I did re-size the pic in PSP, but neither larger or smaller had any effect.
I've asked the classmate to re-send a pic with the camera (or cell phone) in horizontal angle.
BTW- if it matters...the pic was taken with an ipad or iphone. Seems I remember Apple presented a few problems for CC.
In any event it was interesting learning a little about PSP. I appreciate, as always, your efforts.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM - Response #9

Can you post the picture here? I just uploaded to "classmates photos" a tall image and it worked fine.

Original image is 2400 x 3600. This is resized and displayed as 626px × 939px

Are you using the older format here vs the new social format? I'm testing the New format which I think you are also using from your descriptions.

-----------

iPad is the same as newer camera (or phone) in that they have extra information that tells a program the orientation of the device. So if the device is rotated, the image has extra information (metadata) that says how it is rotated so a program can then display it the intended way.

CC program does not process that data.

When you save it again, PSP (and others) "fix" the data and then CC works again.

Edited 10/07/14 5:52 PM
Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM - Response #10

Hey Jack- Just a follow up to my PSP lessons. Rolling Eyes I finally had time to sit & "learn" a little more about PSP. I got the classmates 1st image to load correctly & a 2nd pic was sent by the classmate in the proper orientation so it didn't need my PSP "expertise". Laughing I usually don't offer to upload photos for classmates but in the future if assistance is needed, I may be able to help a classmate.
Thanks, again for your guidance.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.