ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Editing Text

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/14/12 06:05 PM Views: 1531 Replies: 17
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Intermittently, I have been having trouble with text editing. For example: I highlight the text and when I click on the icon to change the color or font or whatever, the text becomes un-highlighted. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know why this happens?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM - Response #1

I don't have the answer but I get the same thing at times.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM - Response #2

Ditto!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM - Response #3

Me too. My Mac-based co-admin says it's my OS and browser, that I should at least get out of Internet Explorer. It's true that on other issues, switching to Firefox often fixed my editing problems.

I've recently been dealing with doing a lot of edits and it crashing when I go to save. To be safe, I just do a few at a time, save & go back in. But that's time-consuming to find my place again.

Edited 11/14/12 6:12 PM
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM - Response #4

I have not had that happen in a while, but after repeat tries, I generally shut down my computer for a minute or two, and re-boot.
Worked every time for me - but my system is old, and I'm cheap! LOL

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM - Response #5

Me too

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM - Response #6

me too. I've always had problems in our class forum. I set the Font and Size but it eventually ends up going back to the Default.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM - Response #7

Happy to know that I am in good company, as it happens to me.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM - Response #8

Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM - Response #9

We want our money back. JUST KIDDING.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM - Response #10

I have found from time to time that if I want to bold some text or make some other changes if I highlight it from left to right it won't work but it will if I highlight it from right to left! Makes no sense to me but this has happened many more times than once.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM - Response #11

Interesting find F C Brock!
Thanks!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM - Response #12

I don't recall having that specific problem but I did have a number of weird things happen when I was using Internet Explorer. So I changed to Mozilla Firefox and really don't have any problems at all -- it's much faster, too. Sometimes copying and pasting to Word works better in IE but otherwise I use Firefox.
Jim

Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM - Response #13

I've had it happen in both IE and Firefox and have been told to upgrade or change broswers. Not to scare anyone... it,s been happening for over 6 months. Perhaps not related, but my computer crashed the other day (using a friend's tonight). I had to have my co-administrator take the site over completely while I try to get my fixed without losing too much material.
Barbara Sad

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM - Response #14

Count me in the Same Boat! Editing text sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's kind of frustrating when you are trying to Edit a Site Page to but something new in or to change what you have. Any more news on the Topic?

Edited 12/11/12 11:54 AM
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM - Response #15

We have seen that our system, specifically for very long pages or very large classes, Internet Explorer does seem to choke a bit. This is typically not an issue for smaller classes or more typically sized pages. We have also noticed that Firefox handles these longer pages much better than IE.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM - Response #16

The anomaly I noted above has occurred in one or two line announcements as well as on pages with more content, none of which are very long. Happened in both IE8 and Chrome.

Edited 12/11/12 12:36 PM
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM - Response #17

Yeah. That is very odd. One thing I don't like about our editor is that it will continue to add span tag upon span tag, nesting as it goes and eventually, over a long period of time, as a page has more and more changes, these tags never clean up. There are times when I have to recommend to people to literally build a fresh page. I typically recommend this for pages that are older than a year that are updated frequently. The process that I suggest involves copying all of the text content into a Notepad document and making note of all images that are on the page. If 3rd party embed codes are on the page, either copy the code to a new Notepad doc or generate fresh embed code from the 3rd party source. Once all of the content is noted and saved, I tell them to go to the source view, select all (CTRL + A) and delete. You can save the page as a draft and still have all of the original content live while you rebuild the page. When you copy and paste the text content back into the editor from Notepad, all of the text formatting will be gone. You can now add fresh text attributes using the editor.

I know the above sounds like a real pain, but just as with old website code, the code from the editor, over time, will have lots of potential for issues. It can be worth the hour of work to save headaches down the road. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.