ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Required profile questions

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 05/04/09 08:47 AM Views: 1511 Replies: 2
Monday, May 4, 2009 at 8:47 AM

First - Is there a way to make a default profile question required? Such as "residing in..."

Second - It would be nice if there was a way to add a question such as "Guest Member - yes/no" and then IF they check yes, make the second part of the question required. If they check no, the question wouldn't be required.

For example:

Guest Member? yes or no
(If they answer yes) Relationship to our class? (text field, and make this part REQUIRED if they answer yes)

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM - Response #1

Location was actually required early on, but lead to immediate problems because numerous people who are just signing up for the site for the first time aren't yet aware of how the location information will be used and as a result they attempt to leave it blank. Then the required message comes up, so now they type in something other than their real information just to get around the question. And now you've got bogus contact info on your Class List.

Instead I suggest you edit your default welcome email message to indicate how important it is to you that correct location information be provided. Assure the Classmate that this information is for your eyes only and is used to keep up with them, invite them to reunions, etc. Assure them that giving our their content details won't lead to spam mail, postal junk mail, etc. When you do this in your welcome email you stand a much better chance of having the Classmate go back in and provide the information.

Regarding your Guest Member question, only an Administrator can add aa Guest Member -- a Guest cannot add themselves to your site the same as a Classmate cannot add themselves to your site. Presumably you already know the relationship of the Guest Member to the Class. Thus what most people do is simply enter in the relationship right in the last name field. E.G.

John Smith (Teacher)
Mary Jones (Principal)

This way, you can keep all of your relationship info consistent with how you want it formatted, and this information will display right on your Class List as opposed to having to click on a Guest Member's name to enter his or her Profile to see what the relationship is.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM - Response #2

Brad,

When it comes to verifying a new applicant I can't do it unless they've entered an answer to the required questions (marked with an asterisk) as the warning box pops up. How are they able to get around not answering anything in these boxes yet still complete their application so that I get the notification that they need verification.

Do they not get the same warning that they must answer these questions?

As you say, I can get round it by just entering a full-stop (period) or something similar in each of the required question boxes, before I can leave their Profile. I then have to email them again and ask them to ensure they answer the required questions but, by then I've already verified them and there's nothing to stop them not bothering to go back in and answer the required questions, unless, of course, I'm ultra strict and delete their Profile and make them complete a fresh one that includes answers to the required questions. I'd rather not have to do that as, more often than not, I'm satisfied they are who they say they are. All the same I'd prefer it if the required questions had to be answered before I was able to receive notification that a new member needed verification?

Would that be possible or is it the way it should be working anyway?

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.