ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory Comments

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/06/14 07:21 AM Views: 1521 Replies: 30
Monday, January 6, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Is there any way to download comments made to all In Memory Classmates in one download?

Monday, January 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM - Response #1

Sorry Bonnie, but unfortunately there is not. We may be working on a book feature in the future where this may be included, but it will be down the road a bit.

Brad Switzer

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM - Response #2

Can it be added as an enhancement in the future (soon if possible)?

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM - Response #3

It is on the list, but probably won't happen in the near future. There are major features we are working on and the current Profile pages need to be finalized, then the Facebook App needs to be released.

When you say "download comments made to all In Memory Classmates " are you wanting the MEMBER ENTERED comments, or the text of the admin-entered (obituary-type) of comments? If you are only wanting the admin-entered (obituary text), it might happen sooner than later. It might be an easy fix to add another field to the Manage Classmates, Download Classlist, download fields.

If you want the admin-entered In Memory comments, you can already download this field. Do the following:
Manage Classmates, Download Classlist
Select "Deceased Year" and "Comments:" and also the NAME and any other fields. Then select the download format and click the DOWNLOAD CLASS LIST button.

Your download will then include the "Obituary" comments entered by the admin.

If you are wanting the classmate-entered comments, it will be a while.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM - Response #4

Ignore my "If you are only wanting the admin-entered (obituary text), it might happen sooner than later. It might be an easy fix to add another field to the Manage Classmates, Download Classlist, download fields" comments. I found out after that line that it is already there.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM - Response #5

Speaking of the In Memory part of our websites, I added a song from Hypster and it is right under the candles and very distracting. I tried to figure out how to get in at the bottom of the page, but you either can't do it or I am missing how to do it.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM - Response #6

Esther,

You are right. You cannot post anything below the In Memory names. There is only one editable content area and that is above the In Memory names.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM - Response #7

That is disappointing, but I'm glad to know I wasn't missing anything. Thank you for letting me know, Kyle.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM - Response #8

I don't know if you have one song or many, however, there are nice looking single player "bars" that are not obtrusive. Or you can hide the player too?

Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM - Response #9

I just have one song right now, but may add others later.
I will have to figure out how to hide the player, that sounds like what I want.
I don't want anything to distract from the reason for the page.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM - Response #10

Hi Esther,
I believe Jack can give you the coding to hide your player. I have it tucked away somewhere... I hope. My hard drive crashed and I am still working on getting everything I want - where I want it on the new pc.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM - Response #11

I downloaded the comments but it did not do the many In Memory comments. Would you please repeat the instructions? Thanks.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM - Response #12

Any new news about being allowed to download In Memory comments? Our reunion is in October so there is time.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM - Response #13

Not likely as we have the programmers knee deep in some major projects at this time.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM - Response #14

There has to be a good way to get this info. This is time sensitive and important to those in the grieving process. We have some smart admins around. Maybe they will offer suggestions.

We could do a copy/paste of photos, names, date/time and comment... for each comment. That can become very time consuming, which has me thinking someone needs to pay us for our time.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM - Response #15

Thank you for saying it is important. It is our 50th reunion and we have a lot of comments being entered.

Thanks again.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM - Response #16

One way to get these comments is to save each page from the browser. Use your browser's FILE menu and choose "Save Page As...", you can then choose to save the page as just text. You can then edit those text files and strip out all unnecessary text (menus, links, etc.) and paste the contents into your memory book.

You can also just copy/paste from the website page into your memory book if you wanted to. Just select the text you want and then copy it (EDIT/copy) and then go to your memory book word processor and then paste it (EDIT/Paste).

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 11:07 AM - Response #17

You think we could come up with the easiest, less expensive and most presentable way to make this work for all of us until an upload to a small book site is worked out. Though the number of admins who read these forums number might be considered low, y'all are smart! We could look at this as an opportunity to toss around ideas and come up with a 'what works best for now'. Smile

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM - Response #18

This is relatively trivial code on the CC side.

Remember, each comment is already in the DB and is created 'on the fly' when the page is generated. Therefore, the exact same retrieval code just needs to produce just the comment data required for an exported file.

Gwen Corey wrote:

You think we could come up with the easiest, less expensive and most presentable way to make this work for all of us until an upload to a small book site is worked out. Though the number of admins who read these forums number might be considered low, y'all are smart! We could look at this as an opportunity to toss around ideas and come up with a 'what works best for now'. Smile

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 1:49 PM - Response #19

Hi Jack,

I have thought of that, Jack. What I was getting at was until that or another option happens with a book provider, how can we best do it ourselves? Any ideas? All we need is a Idea moment or two. Wink

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

This is relatively trivial code on the CC side.

Remember, each comment is already in the DB and is created 'on the fly' when the page is generated. Therefore, the exact same retrieval code just needs to produce just the comment data required for an exported file.

Gwen Corey wrote:

Edited 05/31/14 1:49 PM
Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 2:09 PM - Response #20

By trivial, I really mean trivial. As in 4 hours to someone who knows the code. Most of it would be verifying interface, not coding.

(Edit:this is what Kyle posted too), but it still has to be done for EACH individual. UGH.

Just drag/copy all the memory sections and paste into an MS Word or an html editor. That removes the drudge work of deleting all the extra menus. I'm assuming one desires the images that may be included. Otherwise just use notepad and get just the text.

Clearly neither is a viable solution for any sort of volume. Yes, it's possible to create a client side program to automate the extraction for each member, but that takes even longer than the GLOBAL solution.

The silver bullet has to come from CC's side Idea

Edited 05/31/14 2:13 PM
Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM - Response #21

Ahhh, a word we both use, Jack. Ugh!

My goal is to find the easiest way, which may be your last post, for all admins. When I say easy, I include 'takes the least amount of time possible.'
Cool

Edited 05/31/14 2:19 PM
Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 4:35 PM - Response #22

That brings up a question. We're doing the copy/paste thing for the planned memory book for our 55th. But each one needs to be edited to delete all the comments which clutter the page and aren't necessary for the purpose.

What if... I temporarily disable profile comments? Will existing comments disappear? And more importantly, if so, will they come back when I re-enable the option?

I'd test it, but don't like the idea of a potential one way street that's not predictable.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM - Response #23

John,

I don't know the answer, but you can test it on a "Free (ads)" website. Just create a new website, add a deceased classmate, add a comment and then do what you said you want to do.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 5:16 PM - Response #24

We can delete the test website when you are through.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 5:19 PM - Response #25

Great idea, Kyle!

Let me know if you want some help, John.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM - Response #26

There already is a demo site that was set up years ago (4/6/2009) where you can try out things to your hearts content. See this.

Edited 05/31/14 8:55 PM
Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 11:14 PM - Response #27

Thanks for the link, F C. I thought that was what Kyle was going to share but a free site for a short time works.

Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM - Response #28

Any new programming done yet? It has been 3 months since the last post. Our reunion is coming up and I do not want to do the hard way if the easy way has been set up.

Monday, September 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM - Response #29

I will look into it.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM - Response #30

We do not have a solution ready for this idea at this time. We did discuss some ideas for future implementation, but unfortunately these idea will not be launched for quite some time. For now, the only option to get the data is to copy and paste the comments from each profile.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.